Three FA DTs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rankings and market value are per Sportrac....

There are a several of FA DTs that should be of interest to the Rams, nonidea if the Rams will pursue any of them.
Sheldon Richardson, Dontarius Poe and Star Lotulelei....

Richardson is ranked at the 10th best DT and has a projected market value of $11.9 M
Poe is the 18th ranked DT and has a projected value of $5.7 M
Lotulelei is the 17th ranked DT and has a projected market value of $8.4 M.
Interesting mix of talent and projected price. I think Poe will get more but who knows?
Two questions apply to the possible pursuit of any of these lineman.
Who best fits the Rams 3/4 scheme under Wade and who presents the best value. Value in terms of being able to do other things.
Hurting Seattle by signing Richardson would be nice but Seattle is intent on keeping him I would think.
Landing a big physical guy like Lotulelei could certainly round out the line potentially. All of these guys are coming from 4/3 defensives.
The Rams could also sign a 3/4 NT like Mike Penney from the Jets for less money.
Getting a guy like Star Lotulelei for the projected $8.5 M or so would allow the Rams to sign a couple of linebackers like Tahir Whitehead (projected at $8.5M) and Todd Davis (no projection given by say $5M).
So, signing Lotulelei, Whitehead and Davis (along keeping Easley) would go along way to upgrading the 3/4 front seven in my opinion.
Whitehead is mostly a 2 down OLB but with the flexibility of Barron and the quality in the D backfield that is ok. Davis is a solid ILB that could step in for Ogletree.
Using that example and projected money the Rams signing Lotulelei, Whitehead and Davis at the cost of $22 M is not terrible. Particularly when you consider the cap savings of Quinn and Ogletree being traded, about $14.6 M.
The limited cap savings of the Ogletree deal ($3.6M) tells me that trade was not about cap space.
So net cap hit of $7.4 M to upgrade DT, OLB and ILB....sounds good to me.
Anyone have any other FA DL or LB tbey like?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure Poe would be the best fit. He's athletic to penetrate and collapse the pocket, but he can space eat as well.

And, iirc, he played the NT when Indy played the 3-4. I could be totally wrong on that, but I do recall Poe being called explicitly a NT, not just a DT.

Lotulelei is a solid player, but he's kinda like Whitworth. He's gonna be at most a two-year player.

Sheldon Richardson is a head case that we don't need. The talent is there, but with his level of talent, he shoulda been in line for a huge payday... and he's not. Big, but not commensurate with his talent. And I don't compare him to Talib or Peters in that both are hypercompetitive...like AD...who's also been kicked from a game out of frustration.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
4 realistic NT targets for the Rams in free agency
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...s-free-agency-nose-tackle-options-salary-cap/
By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams were one of the worst teams against the run in 2017. Improving in that area is arguably their biggest need, whether it’s by finding a linebacker or nose tackle.The free agency class isn’t all that deep while the draft’s best options will probably be gone before the Rams go on the clock, but there are a few players Los Angeles can target on the open market.

Dontari Poe, Falcons
Poe will be the most expensive player on this list, but he’d be well worth it for the Rams. As a true nose tackle in Kansas City’s 3-4 defense, Poe was one of the better players at his position. Although he hasn’t necessarily lived up to the hype he entered the NFL with, he’s still a top nose tackle.

In his career, Poe has missed just two games in six seasons. At 346 pounds, he’s a space-eater who also adds some value as a pass rusher from the interior. Plug him in between Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald, and the run defense will undoubtedly improve.The issue is cost. If Poe fetches more than $9 million, which is certainly possible, the Rams would likely be out of the running. If he can be had for Spotrac’s $5.6 million per year, count Los Angeles in.

Shamar Stephen, Vikings
Stephen is a big nose tackle at 6-foot-5, but he isn’t the bulkiest at just 310 pounds. Still, he does a good job eating up blocks on the inside, though he doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher. That’s not necessarily what the Rams are looking for in a nose tackle, however.He’s a good run defender, which was an area of concern for Los Angeles last season. The Rams need someone who can get penetration, create tackles for loss and make the lives of Donald and Brockers easier.

Justin Ellis, Raiders
Ellis is going to be one of the better options in free agency at this position, and he fits what the Rams want. He can line up over the center and create some disruption in the middle, eating up blocks to allow more opportunities for Donald and Brockers.His presence would also make it easier for Los Angeles’ linebackers to flow to the ball and make plays. Essentially, he’d be a big body in the middle of the defense.

Haloti Ngata, Lions
Ngata only played five games in 2017, but he did have two sacks in limited action. Gone are the days of him being a player who will rack up five sacks per year, but he’s still a massive presence at nose tackle and fits nicely in Wade Phillips’ defense.As a one-year option in 2018, Ngata would be a nice bridge until the Rams can find a true nose tackle for the future.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Maybe the rams see more viable options at NT in FA then at LB so if they grab one of these guys this week then maybe they can trade down to get LVE while adding a 3rd rounder.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
4 realistic NT targets for the Rams in free agency
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...s-free-agency-nose-tackle-options-salary-cap/
By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams were one of the worst teams against the run in 2017. Improving in that area is arguably their biggest need, whether it’s by finding a linebacker or nose tackle.The free agency class isn’t all that deep while the draft’s best options will probably be gone before the Rams go on the clock, but there are a few players Los Angeles can target on the open market.

Dontari Poe, Falcons
Poe will be the most expensive player on this list, but he’d be well worth it for the Rams. As a true nose tackle in Kansas City’s 3-4 defense, Poe was one of the better players at his position. Although he hasn’t necessarily lived up to the hype he entered the NFL with, he’s still a top nose tackle.

In his career, Poe has missed just two games in six seasons. At 346 pounds, he’s a space-eater who also adds some value as a pass rusher from the interior. Plug him in between Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald, and the run defense will undoubtedly improve.The issue is cost. If Poe fetches more than $9 million, which is certainly possible, the Rams would likely be out of the running. If he can be had for Spotrac’s $5.6 million per year, count Los Angeles in.

Shamar Stephen, Vikings
Stephen is a big nose tackle at 6-foot-5, but he isn’t the bulkiest at just 310 pounds. Still, he does a good job eating up blocks on the inside, though he doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher. That’s not necessarily what the Rams are looking for in a nose tackle, however.He’s a good run defender, which was an area of concern for Los Angeles last season. The Rams need someone who can get penetration, create tackles for loss and make the lives of Donald and Brockers easier.

Justin Ellis, Raiders
Ellis is going to be one of the better options in free agency at this position, and he fits what the Rams want. He can line up over the center and create some disruption in the middle, eating up blocks to allow more opportunities for Donald and Brockers.His presence would also make it easier for Los Angeles’ linebackers to flow to the ball and make plays. Essentially, he’d be a big body in the middle of the defense.

Haloti Ngata, Lions
Ngata only played five games in 2017, but he did have two sacks in limited action. Gone are the days of him being a player who will rack up five sacks per year, but he’s still a massive presence at nose tackle and fits nicely in Wade Phillips’ defense.As a one-year option in 2018, Ngata would be a nice bridge until the Rams can find a true nose tackle for the future.
I thought Ellis resigned with Oakland.
Maybe I am wrong.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I thought that Sheldon Richardson resigned with the SeaShmucks. If he didn't looks like they blew a second round pick much like we are going to with Sammy Watkins.
Does anybody know what's up in this situation?

~ArkyRamsFan~

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought that Sheldon Richardson resigned with the SeaShmucks. If he didn't looks like they blew a second round pick much like we are going to with Sammy Watkins.

~ArkyRamsFan~
Hadn't hear anything about Richardson.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Redskins also have some linebackers that are coming available. What do you guys think about Trent Murphy or Zach Brown? I think Murphy still has a couple of games of suspension for substance abuse policy problems, but he is solid against the run as I think Brown is as well. Junior Galette is also an interesting player, but it seems he likes to get into trouble from time to time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Redskins also have some linebackers that are coming available. What do you guys think about Trent Murphy or Zach Brown? I think Murphy still has a couple of games of suspension for substance abuse policy problems, but he is solid against the run as I think Brown is as well. Junior Galette is also an interesting player, but it seems he likes to get into trouble from time to time.

Murphy's suspension is over. He served it while injured.

Ram65

Legend
Rankings and market value are per Sportrac....

There are a several of FA DTs that should be of interest to the Rams, nonidea if the Rams will pursue any of them.
Sheldon Richardson, Dontarius Poe and Star Lotulelei....

Richardson is ranked at the 10th best DT and has a projected market value of $11.9 M
Poe is the 18th ranked DT and has a projected value of $5.7 M
Lotulelei is the 17th ranked DT and has a projected market value of $8.4 M.
Interesting mix of talent and projected price. I think Poe will get more but who knows?
Two questions apply to the possible pursuit of any of these lineman.
Who best fits the Rams 3/4 scheme under Wade and who presents the best value. Value in terms of being able to do other things.
Hurting Seattle by signing Richardson would be nice but Seattle is intent on keeping him I would think.
Landing a big physical guy like Lotulelei could certainly round out the line potentially. All of these guys are coming from 4/3 defensives.
The Rams could also sign a 3/4 NT like Mike Penney from the Jets for less money.
Getting a guy like Star Lotulelei for the projected $8.5 M or so would allow the Rams to sign a couple of linebackers like Tahir Whitehead (projected at $8.5M) and Todd Davis (no projection given by say $5M).
So, signing Lotulelei, Whitehead and Davis (along keeping Easley) would go along way to upgrading the 3/4 front seven in my opinion.
Whitehead is mostly a 2 down OLB but with the flexibility of Barron and the quality in the D backfield that is ok. Davis is a solid ILB that could step in for Ogletree.
Using that example and projected money the Rams signing Lotulelei, Whitehead and Davis at the cost of $22 M is not terrible. Particularly when you consider the cap savings of Quinn and Ogletree being traded, about $14.6 M.
The limited cap savings of the Ogletree deal ($3.6M) tells me that trade was not about cap space.
So net cap hit of $7.4 M to upgrade DT, OLB and ILB....sounds good to me.
Anyone have any other FA DL or LB they like?

Nice write up. I didn't think the Rams would spend that kind of money on a NT. Looking up Mike Penny I found it's Mike Pennel a 332 pounder who is probably not what Wade wants but, I don't know much about him.

I don't see the Rams spending big money on a NT. They could find a decent 2 down NT later in the draft.

I would like the Rams to spend money a 3 down ILBer like Avery Williamson or Zac Brown. They need a player that can play the run and cover.

Ram65

Legend

Galette seems to have mellowed and wants to prove himself again. He would be good insurance if the Rams don't get Landry in the draft. Here is Murphy's draft profile. Read he played the left side while Galette played the right side. McVay has the contacts. Murphy has is a decent pass rusher.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trent-murphy?id=2543503

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice write up. I didn't think the Rams would spend that kind of money on a NT. Looking up Mike Penny I found it's Mike Pennel a 332 pounder who is probably not what Wade wants but, I don't know much about him.

I don't see the Rams spending big money on a NT. They could find a decent 2 down NT later in the draft.

I would like the Rams to spend money a 3 down ILBer like Avery Williamson or Zac Brown. They need a player that can play the run and cover.
Yep.
Reconstruction the front seven through the LB core could work just as well. Williamson and Brown would change the effectiveness as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What I do know is Joe Barry was LBers coach there , so has a good idea as well as Waldron & McVay

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Avery Williamson would be ideal then we could probably get a pretty good NT with a 4th round pick. Go get another LB and Edge with the early picks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

~ArkyRamsFan~
They didn’t tag him just like the Rams didn’t tag Sammy.
They like the Rams didn’t fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm guessing the Rams go with the draft to fill the DT spot. Putting a rookie between two All Pro DT's in Brockers and Donald makes perfect sense to me. Saves cap space and builds for the future.