Thoughts on the release of Paul Boudreau (old article)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
January 18, 2012 | Author Anthony Stalter
http://www.falconsfocus.com/tag/paul-boudreau/

If you got caught up in the hiring of Mike Nolan you may have missed the news on Wednesday that the Falcons will not bring back offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.

There’s no question that the offensive line took a significant step backwards this season, which is why some view the release of Boudreau as a good thing. But it’s hard to fault Boudreau (who is a good coach) for the overall lack of talent that was given to him.

[hil]Thanks to Boudreau, the Falcons played as a tight, cohesive unit from 2008 through 2010[/hil]. But it wasn’t his fault that Thomas Dimitroff couldn’t feasibly re-sign Tyson Clabo, Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl last offseason and thus, had to spend 2011 playing musical chairs at right guard. And it wasn’t anyone’s fault that Todd McClure also missed the first few weeks of the season due to a knee injury.

Dimitroff also reached for Sam Baker in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He knew he had to acquire someone to protect Matt Ryan’s blindside and when he saw all of the other top left tackles flying off the board, he essentially wasted the picks the Falcons acquired in the DeAngelo Hall trade to snatch up Baker.

But Baker was never a first-round talent and worse yet, his lack of size and reach made him a poor fit as a left tackle in the NFL. Most scouts determined that he would be a right tackle at the next level, although even that was a stretch. He’s also been an injury risk dating back to his days with USC, which is yet another thing that wasn’t Boudreau’s fault.

In my eyes, the real reason Boudreau isn’t being brought back is because his style doesn’t fit the direction the Falcons want to go offensively. [hil]Boudreau has a knack for working with smaller lineman and ran more of a man-blocking scheme under Mike Mularkey[/hil]. Chances are Dirk Koetter wants to implement a scheme that is more zone-oriented, although we won’t know for sure until the Falcons hire a new offensive line coach.

Dimitroff has also been drafting bigger linemen over these past couple years, so a move away from Boudreau was imminent. Dimitroff had a chance to draft Boston College’s Matt Tennant (the top-rated center on the board) in the 2010 draft and instead selected Joe Hawley, who is 6’3” and 310 pounds. Hawley was viewed as a power run blocker, which obviously fits the scheme the Falcons want to stick with under Mike Smith. Garrett Reynolds, who stands 6’7” and is 317 pounds, was also known as a run-blocker coming out of North Carolina. He was the contingency plan at right tackle in case Tyson Clabo left via free agency last year and after failing at right guard, he’s now basically relegated to backup duty. Mike Johnson, who played in Alabama’s pro-style offense while in college, was yet another player drafted by Dimitroff based on his size (6’6”, 305 pounds) and run-blocking abilities.

When you put everything together, this wasn’t a surprising move by the Falcons. Again, I think the decision had less to do with the team’s struggles this year and more to do with scheme. Boudreau was a fine coach and shouldn’t be made the scapegoat for the Falcons’ issues up front, especially when it comes to the lack of development with Baker. He’ll do well at his next destination and hopefully Dimitroff finds someone who fits into Koetter’s system here in Atlanta.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Thoughts on the release of Paul Boudreau

bluecoconuts said:
Man that title scared me for a second!
Heh. I didn't even think about that. :oops:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Got me too. I was like, What the fuck now".

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
LOL, I was victimized as well. X has one coming!

Anonymous

As everyone knows, Rams of course DID release Boudreau. Though that was after the 2007 season. That was another Linehan Stellar Decision (LSD).

Fun info--

here's what some guru types were saying about the Atlanta OL during the off-season in 2008, Boudreau's first year there. Turns out of course the 2008 Falcons OL was just fine.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2008atl.php

2008 NFL Season Preview:

I don't think Ryan is going to be a huge bust, though I can't see him being the next great quarterback either. I just believe that throwing a young quarterback into an offense with a horrific offensive line and barely any weapons can only hurt the player's progress. See David Carr if you don't know what I'm talking about.

The Falcons' offensive front was one of the NFL's worst last season. It was responsible for the team's miserable ground attack ranking (26th) and the 47 sacks it surrendered to Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman. So, Atlanta must have done something to improve this group, right? Well, for starters, it traded up to No. 21 overall and reached for Sam Baker. Baker will win the left tackle job somewhat soon, but how effective will he be considering he's a rookie and was a mere second-round prospect? The Falcons also signed center Alex Stepanovich via the free-agent market. Stepanovich is a solid reserve, but has never shown the ability to start. He'll play behind the mediocre Todd McClure.

Other than that? Nothing. Atlanta failed to acquire upgrades to the offensive line, with the exception of Baker. The right side of the front is void of talent; guard Kynan Forney is terrible, while Todd Weiner, who turns 33 in September, is coming off two knee surgeries. The only provent talent in this group is left guard Justin Blalock, who was forced to play out of position last season in the wake of Weiner's injuries.

Someone else the Falcons' miserable offensive line won't be doing any favors for is Michael Turner. Atlanta shelled out $34.5 million over six years for Turner, who played exceptionally well when LaDainian Tomlinson tore his MCL in the postseason. Turner is a talented runner, but he won't have any lanes to sprint through. Last year's starter, Warrick Dunn, averaged a meager 3.2 yards per carry.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/12579-2008-nfl-draft-falcons-have-no-excuse-for-failure

March 11, 2008

Many mock drafts have the Falcons taking Matt Ryan to be the future franchise QB. Taking Ryan isn't a bad idea—until you consider that the offensive line the Falcons put together this year will not be cohesive.

This assumes that Ryan is still available, because Miami may be tempted grab him. What's more, the Falcons might decide to use a later pick on a QB like Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm, or others projected in the later rounds.

Jake Long makes the most sense to many because left tackle is a position Atlanta had problems with last year.

Without Wayne Gandy, they have nothing but injured cannon fodder at that position. Long has undeniable skills and would be a substantial upgrade for the offensive line. He's the type of guy you draft as a nucleus for an offensive line in the rebuilding phase.

Offensive tackle Ryan Clady is another fine choice, but probably not as the No. 3 pick. Trading the pick and picking up Clady a bit later on would make more sense. Jeff Otah and Gosden Cherlius fall into this category also.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh I love that Falcons preview. Anyone who uses walterfootball to predict a future season, I always refer them to this. Actually, his Falcons preview that year looks similar to the Rams preview this year.

Keefrox

UDFA
From the 70's until now, the top 5 (or so) offensive line coaches make more of the difference than the players.
What Hanifan did with Grudadoria and Nutten was amazing.....they were the best in pass protection....all becuase of Hanifan....same with people like Bourdreau...taking guys who no one else wanted and making them work as a unit.
Without Boudreau I have no belief in Smith and Saffold....with him I do...because he took undrafted free agents and created great lines....

omho

Anonymous

Keefrox said:
From the 70's until now, the top 5 (or so) offensive line coaches make more of the difference than the players.
What Hanifan did with Grudadoria and Nutten was amazing.....they were the best in pass protection....all becuase of Hanifan....same with people like Bourdreau...taking guys who no one else wanted and making them work as a unit.
Without Boudreau I have no belief in Smith and Saffold....with him I do...because he took undrafted free agents and created great lines....

omho

No promises though. But they clearly believe he can do it again.

AUDIO LINK:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8127404

Summary of Snead interview with Schlereth:

How is the line coming together?

That's going to be an interesting one. Snead has known some top OL coaches, like Alex Gibbs. Knows what a good OL coach can do. Well Rams brought in Paul Boudreau from Atlanta. He saw PB work with a bunch of players who maybe weren't the most heralded but the sum of the parts was better than the individuals. Rams will have to rely on that so they can be consistent. As for consistency, he thought that last year the team struggled with just being on the same page. And they had a lot of injuries on that OL. Obviously that's big in trying to be consistent.