Thoughts on Jimmie Ward?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If we don't grab a safety in the 1st, he is my top choice for one in the second.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/2/4/...p-is-jimmie-ward-a-potential-1st-round-choice

NFL Draft Prep: Is NIU's Jimmie Ward a Potential First Round Choice?
By HuskieJWN on Feb 4 2014, 2:15p
With the NFL combine just a few weeks away, many former college players are preparing for the big weekend and hope to make a good impression. There should be at least a handful of MAC athletes at the event, and I know with certainity that Khalil Mack, Jordan Lynch, and Jimmie Ward will be in attendance. I am going to focus on Jimmie Ward and his NFL chances.

Ward, was a standout at NIU and looks to have a good draft stock. During his tenure in DeKalb, Ward wreaked havoc on his opponents. As a freshman he contributed on special teams and blocked three punts. He went on to be a three time All-MAC performer (first team twice) while accumulating 11 interceptions, four forced fumbles, and over 300 tackles while only missing one game in his career.

Many believe he was just as valuable as Khalil Mack and Jordan Lynch were this previous season. This previous season is really were Jimmie saw his draft stock rise. I remember looking before the season at his draft stock and many believed he was a late round pick and could possibly be an undrafted free agent. That has significantly changed.

Jimmie had a huge season, with big interceptions in the Iowa, Purdue, and Toledo games. He finished the year with 7 interceptions and 95 tackles. He was named on numerous All-American lists, generally garnering 1st or 2nd teams. After those accolades, he then was invited to the Senior Bowl in his hometown of Mobile, Alabama. While at the Senior Bowl, Jimmie was named the top defensive back of the week, and has risen to what many believe is a solid 2nd round choice.

Dan Kadar has changed his opinion of Ward a ton. At the beginning of the 2013 season, he didn’t list Ward in his top 15 MAC prospects. Ward is now his #3 safety, 48th overall choice, and 45th overall player. I’ve seen multiple fan blogs that actually believe Jimmie is worth a first round choice, but his size holds him back. He is 5’10 and 3/8 and weighs 191 pounds.

However, he has a wingspan of 77 1/8 inches, which is the equivalent of someone who is 6’4. This gets people to call him "rangy", which could signify his knack for making plays. Although Ward lacks ideal size, he has some of the best football instincts around. Hence the 11 interceptions and 4 blocked punts over his career. I’d consider him the Tyrann Mathieu of the MAC, because no matter what, Ward seems to be in the right place at the right time. It’s difficult to find players like that.

Jimmie’s coverage abilities (which are probably the best of all safeties in the draft), ability to play each safety spot and nickel corner, his special teams skills, and the NFL need for safeties are going to be Jimmie’s biggest pros. Oh, and he can hit too, ask Alex Neutz. His biggest cons are going to be the knock of competition in the MAC (which is bogus, as Mack will be a top 10 pick and there are tons of MAC players in the NFL), his lack of top-flight speed, and his size.

So going into the combine, Ward needs to show his strength, ability to run, and probably clock something higher than his expected 4.5 40 yard dash. If he can show he can run again, like he did at the Senior Bowl, and surprise with his speed, there is reason to believe the MAC could have two first round picks this year.

There has been some discussion that Ward’s goal is to weigh 200 pounds by pro day to have closer to ideal weight as well. I strongly believe Ward is by far the second best MAC prospect in the draft. That’s not a knock considering the hype Mack has warranted. If Jimmie had better size, I think he would be the number 1 safety in the draft and be taken in the top 20. Let’s see what Ward does with his opportunity in Indy. If it’s a good week, keep your eyes open for a possibility of two MAC first round picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Earl Thomas is listed at 5'10" 202. I think he's a top 5 safety in this league.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From all that I do know he is more of a Fisher safety than most of the Names we have seen over & over on this forum. Fisher will demand that his next drafted safety be able to be a free/deep safety with one of the in the box type period. I do not see Ward being drafted with our #44 selection but if he was to fall to us with the #75 selection he would be a Ram very fast.

If Snead was able to get a extra picks from trading down the 1.13 selection (which I see as a more promising venture than the trade down of the 1.2) & a mid second round pick was acquired then Ward would be Targeted.

But don't listen to me because I certainly do not see a Ram safety being taken in the first round and the only CB/S prospect I would select with the 2.44 selection would be Lamarcus Joyner who would send Cortland Finnegan into retirement where he belongs and could also start @ either safety positions if need be Fisher's Nickle. Much more value in Joyner than any other safety I know of.

If somehow Snead was able to trade down the 1.13 for who will draft in the 20's who trade up to get the 3 to 4 QB's who were passed over in the top 10 & Snead was able to get CB/S Joyner in the 2nd & Safety Jimmie Ward in the 3rd then we have struck GOLD !

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He will do a pro day. Teams will get a better chance to get a read on him then.
In the 2nd he would be a much better value than a Pryor Or Dix in the 1st. If we could get him in the 3rd it would be a steal.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He might be the most complete safety in this draft. Cant cover like Dix or hit like Pryor but could play either FS or SS. I don't think he would last to us in the 2nd but if he did it would be a steal. Would not be surprised to see him get picked ahead of Dix.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not sure who he is either, but I don't really watch college ball, I just watch tape on the bigger name guys. I'll check this guy out for sure.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Im sure Ward would be fine for the right value, because I trust you guys.

Thing is I HUNGER for Lynch and Wilson to get laid out by Pryor. Oh! You can add Golden Taint to that hit list, too. Just me... :D

Robinson and Pryor round 1...