Thoughts on Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I would love to see him turn the offense over to a, I won't say brighter, but more innovative OC. I mean really turn it over to him. I'm not say that Schotty wasn't smart at Xs and Os, but what we've really needed is that guy who can own the opposition DC with playcalling strategy and in game adjustment. On offense it's just not been there, and hasn't since before Fisher arrived. Got to go all the way back to Martz. I'm not say we need that type of offensive system, just a guy who can go for the throat like that.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
This is the most talent Fisher has had in his career. There really is no excuse this year. Anything less than a winning season is unacceptable unless there are just a lot of injuries again. With that being said, the last two seasons are completely different if Bradford stays healthy. This is year four. Time for the playoffs. Can't wait for week 1!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the most talent Fisher has had in his career. There really is no excuse this year. Anything less than a winning season is unacceptable unless there are just a lot of injuries again. With that being said, the last two seasons are completely different if Bradford stays healthy. This is year four. Time for the playoffs. Can't wait for week 1!

Agreed and no doubt about this being the most talent he's had. This team is effin LOADED.

What I like about Fish is he's shown he can win when he has the talent. People trot out that record, but there's a story behind some of those dips. His first few years along with the move were hell for that team. He didn't have the voice in the org he has here, where I believe he has final say on things. And for all the knocks on Jeff he's a yard short of bringing that Super Bowl even closer to the wire.

When I compare the '99 Titans to this year's Rams team talent-wise I think this team has far more explosiveness on offense. This year's Rams probably have a better defense too, just from a talent perspective. So if Fish can catch a break with injuries to key guys, and Cigs is ready to rock and roll as OC... Watch out.

I'm with you man, it's time for the playoffs. This team is gonna get it done so sit back with a cold beer and enjoy the show!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to see him turn the offense over to a, I won't say brighter, but more innovative OC. I mean really turn it over to him. I'm not say that Schotty wasn't smart at Xs and Os, but what we've really needed is that guy who can own the opposition DC with playcalling strategy and in game adjustment. On offense it's just not been there, and hasn't since before Fisher arrived. Got to go all the way back to Martz. I'm not say we need that type of offensive system, just a guy who can go for the throat like that.

I'm with you Blue. But you know, he did chase Gase, and tried to go outside his comfort zone with his offensive coach hires. Cigs for example was a completely outside his circle type hire as QB coach and he promoted him over Boras who he reportedly loves due to his experience as OC at the collegiate level I presume.

So right now from where I'm sitting the question is whether Cigs is innovative. Innovation doesn't need to be Martz and a crazy passing game. Look at Auburn. It just needs to be strong scheming and ability to forecast what opponents will do and then be ready to adjust in order to force matchups you want for a full 60. There is a chance that Cigs is that type of OC, and when you look at the speed this offense has going for the throat can happen with almost any play!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm with you Blue. But you know, he did chase Gase, and tried to go outside his comfort zone with his offensive coach hires. Cigs for example was a completely outside his circle type hire as QB coach and he promoted him over Boras who he reportedly loves due to his experience as OC at the collegiate level I presume.

So right now from where I'm sitting the question is whether Cigs is innovative. Innovation doesn't need to be Martz and a crazy passing game. Look at Auburn. It just needs to be strong scheming and ability to forecast what opponents will do and then be ready to adjust in order to force matchups you want for a full 60. There is a chance that Cigs is that type of OC, and when you look at the speed this offense has going for the throat can happen with almost any play!

To me it's a mindset more than a scheme or even available talent. Look at us last year, or even the last three. Special teams, go for it, go for the big play mentality. Defense, gamble on the turnover, blitz like hell, play for the win. Offense, well tiptoe around, play safe, run the ball and do it the safe predictable way, play for the safe tie mentality. The question now after the hire isn't what Cigs is or isn't, but what he will be allowed to be. I'm not confident that even if we had hired Gase that he would have been able to run what he wanted, when he wanted to run it. There just never seems to be the same urgency and intensity on all three facets of the game. And if you look at some of the teams Fisher has coached, it's somewhat common.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't say as I agree with that. Martz was 56-30 with a SB appearance. He did inherit plenty of talent on the offensive side but totally rebuilt a defense and went to the bowl. Fisher has a very long way to go to hit that mark.

Martz inherited a Super Bowl winning team. I don't want to speak ill of Martz but citing his record doesn't mean much. Martz was a great offensive mind but not a good or great HC and played a part (albeit not a huge one) in running this team into the ground.

I'll take Fisher as a HC over Martz. I'd take Martz as a coordinator over Fisher. I don't consider Martz to be a true head coach. He was an OC thrust in that role. Kind of like Norv Turner.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz inherited a Super Bowl winning team. I don't want to speak ill of Martz but citing his record doesn't mean much. Martz was a great offensive mind but not a good or great HC and played a part (albeit not a huge one) in running this team into the ground.

I'll take Fisher as a HC over Martz. I'd take Martz as a coordinator over Fisher. I don't consider Martz to be a true head coach. He was an OC thrust in that role. Kind of like Norv Turner.
Martz went 12-4 with a rebuilt defense and on offense was led by a QB he pulled off the scrap heap and a broke down Marshall Faulk. This inherited theory is a little off base considering he was part of the brain trust who drafted Torry Holt, and Bruce was "inherited" from previous regime

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Martz and his draft input along with Jay Zigmut ruined this team. Which is ironic since Martz's offense was the main reason we won a Super Bowl. Fisher and Snead have done a great job at rebuilding this team. We're about to see this season, and possibly next, if he's the coach to take a good roster and turn them into winners or not though.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2003.htm

MUKKfhe.jpg

Do we think that the current Rams have more talent on their roster than the above 2003 Titans? Defensively, you might have an argument, but you are going to have to admit that it is close. Offensively, you have no argument. Offensive line, quarterback, and running back are positions we simply do not know enough of right now to be better than this Titan squad.

Jeff Fisher is going to win some games he probably shouldn't and loose some games where the other team has less talent every year. Not that he needs my endorsement on any level, but I am glad he is the coach of the Rams. Is this the most talented team he has ever coached? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jeff Fisher:

Hou/1994 - 1-5
Hou/1995 - 7-9
Hou/1996 - 8-8
Ten/1997 - 8-8
Ten/1998 - 8-8
Ten/1999 - 13-3
Ten/2000 - 13-3
Ten/2001 - 7-9
Ten/2002 - 11-5
Ten/2003 - 12-4
Ten/2004 - 5-11
Ten/2005 - 4-12
Ten/2006 - 8-8
Ten/2007 - 10-6
Ten/2008 - 13-3
Ten/2009 - 8-8
Ten/2010 - 6-10
St. Louis/2012 - 7-8-1
St. Louis/2013 - 7-9
St. Louis/2014 - 6-10
-------------------------
162 wins/147 losses/1 tie/.524 percentage
Playoffs: 5-6
-------------------------
St. Louis/2015 - 19-0 :banana::cheers::banana:
Well stated as usual prime! I'll Drink to this^ Too!!
drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif
GO RAMS!! :party:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz went 12-4 with a rebuilt defense and on offense was led by a QB he pulled off the scrap heap and a broke down Marshall Faulk. This inherited theory is a little off base considering he was part of the brain trust who drafted Torry Holt, and Bruce was "inherited" from previous regime

As I said, brilliant offensive mind. But he inherited a Super Bowl winning team and an amazingly talented offense. Nobody will ever doubt Martz's ability to find and develop QBs. Nobody will doubt his ability to run the GSOT offense. But yes, I do doubt his overall ability as a HC. Lovie was a great hire. All the credit in the world for that...but after Lovie left, Martz followed that hire up with some boneheaded hires and the team ended up being driven into the ground.

The inherited theory isn't off base at all. He wasn't the shot caller when that all happened. There's a big difference between being brilliant in your role as an assistant and being brilliant as a HC. Norv Turner is the perfect example of that. Some guys just aren't cut out for that sort of authority. IMO, Martz wasn't.

He was a brilliant coordinator but not a brilliant HC. There are many guys out there like that. Why was Martz never given another chance if he was such a good HC? How often do we see retread HCs in the NFL? Look at Ken Whisenhunt. His record in Arizona didn't even approach Martz's in St. Louis.

I'll give Martz all the credit in the world for what he did offensively but the guy wasn't a good team builder, he was inconsistent at best with the people he hired, and was a poor game manager. Which is why I stand by my point that he was a great offensive coordinator thrust into a HC role that he didn't truly belong in.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I wouldn't necessarily say he was thrust into the HC role.
There was a lot of talk about Martz possibly leaving g if a HC position opened up. Which it would have had DV not suddenly retired.
Martz was ok as a HC. Not the ideal position for him though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't necessarily say he was thrust into the HC role.
There was a lot of talk about Martz possibly leaving g if a HC position opened up. Which it would have had DV not suddenly retired.
Martz was ok as a HC. Not the ideal position for him though.

Thrust might not have been the right term. I was pointing out that Martz was promoted into the HC job right after Vermeil led the team to the Super Bowl and retired. So it's not like he was hired to a bad team and built it up or that he had to come into a difficult, new situation.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Martz was the ONLY choice for the organization when Vermeil stepped out. Politically and logically.
I agree with Jrry that Fisher is the best, most complete HC we've had since Vermeil.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

The defense he inherited was absolutely awful.
The defense he went to the bowl with didn't even slightly resemble the players he had the year before. From coaching to the players. I don't see how the disparity in records can just be overlooked. Can't say that I'll ever really agree with you on this.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz and his draft input along with Jay Zigmut ruined this team. Which is ironic since Martz's offense was the main reason we won a Super Bowl. Fisher and Snead have done a great job at rebuilding this team. We're about to see this season, and possibly next, if he's the coach to take a good roster and turn them into winners or not though.
Yup... I believe this is where we are with Jeff Fisher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it's a mindset more than a scheme or even available talent. Look at us last year, or even the last three. Special teams, go for it, go for the big play mentality. Defense, gamble on the turnover, blitz like hell, play for the win. Offense, well tiptoe around, play safe, run the ball and do it the safe predictable way, play for the safe tie mentality. The question now after the hire isn't what Cigs is or isn't, but what he will be allowed to be. I'm not confident that even if we had hired Gase that he would have been able to run what he wanted, when he wanted to run it. There just never seems to be the same urgency and intensity on all three facets of the game. And if you look at some of the teams Fisher has coached, it's somewhat common.

Yeah we will have to differ on that one Blue. Remember that game in Carolina last season? Rams took a shot deep on the first play but Bradford's arm was hit and they started the game off with an INT instead of a TD. Or the first four games of 2013 when they came out throwing and it sucked? Cost the team big time in their start over the first 1/4 of the season. Fish did not step in until after game 4 or so when it was clear that new approach wasn't gonna work long term.

I think he wants balance, an offense like Kelly runs in Philly. He just needs an OC who is good enough. I don't know if Cigs will be, but if he is prepare yourself for a big change in how our offense looks.

MrMotes

Starter
The talent level on this team is really high. We're so much stronger now than we were when Fisher got the job. I think that's pretty much undeniable. And it's very exciting.

The question people are asking is can Jeff Fisher win a Superbowl.

I'm still wonder if he can coach the Rams to over .500...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense he inherited was absolutely awful.
The defense he went to the bowl with didn't even slightly resemble the players he had the year before. From coaching to the players. I don't see how the disparity in records can just be overlooked. Can't say that I'll ever really agree with you on this.

To be fair I believe the defense he inherited finished 1st in points allowed, 1st in yards per carry allowed per rush, etc and was a big reason they won it all. I love Martz but saying he was given a bad defense is not accurate. It probably had more to do with his offensive focus and learning on the job as a new head coach.

MrMotes

Starter
Martz put together the GSOT in '99 as OC. He then did a complete rebuild of the defense in '01. That team went 14-2 (our best record ever) and to the SB.

Martz did a lot of good stuff...