Thomas : Rams rookie was jolted into new outlook as teen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 63a66.html

By Jim Thomas

Michael Hay wasn't just stabbed within an inch of his life. Try one millimeter — or 4/100ths of an inch.

The knife wound, Hay said, "was a millimeter away from my aorta. My doctor said if he would have twisted it, or I would have moved differently, I would have bled to death on the street."

Hay, who lives in Queens, N.Y., was driving home from a day working construction with his father in the summer of 2007. As Hay pulled up to a stop sign, an acquaintance yelled out something at him. Hay yelled back. The next thing you know, they were both flailing away at each other on the street.

"It was like my friends and his friends didn't get along," Hay said. "And it was kind of right then-and-there, a spur of the moment fistfight. After the fistfight he pulled out (a knife) and stabbed me in the side."

The knife punctured Hay's stomach, went through his rib cage, punctured his diaphragm and caused a lung to collapse. He remembers going into surgery, and he remembers waking up intermittently after surgery and seeing his mother Maria at his side in the hospital.

But that was only half of the family nightmare that night. One time that night when he woke up, he noticed his mother wasn't there. He asked a nurse where she was and was told she had another family issue that had come up. Turns out Hay's younger brother Chris had been admitted to the same hospital 12 hours later after suffering a fractured orbital bone in a separate altercation.

As a result of his stab wounds, Hay was in intensive care for five days — in the hospital's pediatrics ward, no less, at 6-4, 285 pounds.

"There were a lot of dark nights in there," Hay said. "When I woke up I was kind of thinking why am I still here?"

As in, why am I still alive?

When he entered the hospital, Hay was just two weeks away from opening preseason camp as a freshman offensive lineman at the C.W. Post campus of Long Island University.

"Will I be good to go (for camp)?" Hay asked his surgeon.

"I don't know if you'll ever play again," the surgeon replied.

For someone still a couple of months away from his 18th birthday, someone who dreamed of playing in the NFL, it was a sobering wakeup call.

"I thought about it, and I said, 'What do I want to do?' " Hay said. "I want to work. I want to finish this dream out. That's when I started to change my whole outlook on life."

Physically, the doctors and nurses saved his life after the stabbing. Mentally and emotionally, Hay says it was football that saved his life.

"It pretty much kept me on track; kept me straight," Hay said.

He decided to keep playing after his discharge from the hospital, but first he had get his weight up after losing about 60 pounds during his hospital stay.

With a lot of good eating — thanks to Mom's Italian cooking — and a lot of time lifting, he regained the weight. After taking a medical redshirt at C.W. Post, he transferred to Nassau Community College and played two seasons of junior college ball. Then he transferred to Syracuse and the Big East, where he started all but one game over two seasons at right tackle.

And now, less than five years removed from that life-threatening and life-altering stabbing incident, Hay is at the Rams' rookie minicamp this weekend as an undrafted free agent. Now at 307 pounds, he is listed on the team's roster as an offensive guard, although he played tackle during Friday's practice.

Realistically, Hay's best chance may be to make the Rams' practice squad rather than the 53-man roster in September. But you never know.

In 1995, Mike Gruttaduaria signed with Dallas as a rookie free agent. In 1996, he made the Rams' roster, and in 1999, he was starting center for the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV championship squad.

As for Hay, he arrived at Rams Park with the rest of the rookies Thursday night on the threshold of his dream. Coach Jeff Fisher likes players with a passion for the game, and players with an edge to them — and that's Hay.

"It's been a long road, but there's a lot more work ahead of me," Hay said. "I'm going to keep on writing this book, and this is the next chapter. On the one hand it's a dream come true; on the other hand you've got to keep on working."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coach Jeff Fisher likes players with a passion for the game, and players with an edge to them — and that's Hay.
Good story too; I hope it has a happy ending for him. The sad part is, it's not that uncommon. Plus, you'd think doctors would stop with the whole "you'll never (do this or that) again." Maybe they're using reverse psychology or something to get people motivated, but that's a downer to hear, wouldn't you think? It could just as easily make you spiral into a depression.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Coach Jeff Fisher likes players with a passion for the game, and players with an edge to them — and that's Hay.
Good story too; I hope it has a happy ending for him. The sad part is, it's not that uncommon. Plus, you'd think doctors would stop with the whole "you'll never (do this or that) again." Maybe they're using reverse psychology or something to get people motivated, but that's a downer to hear, wouldn't you think? It could just as easily make you spiral into a depression.

Man X I AM DOWN with the way you see Drs. ,that kid could just as easily taken what the "all knowing physician" had to say as gospel and given up.
To his credit he reflected upon those words and decided to quit throwing it away,maybe the Doc was trying to get that effect.
I hope the kid makes it as big as Gruttadauria did.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
QuantumOfSalas said:
What happened to a fight just being a fight? Sad...

Well it was always this way to some extent but if there HAS been a change it paralells the war on drugs.
How's that line from "Smugglers Blues" go,"you have to carry weapons cuz you always carry cash"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
QuantumOfSalas said:
Agree. Scraps in high school were even planned. If you had beef with someone, you simply went to the parking lot at 3:30 and settled it. Nobody ever had a knife or gun. These days (boy that makes me sound old), kids have no balls. Anyone can pull a trigger or brandish a knife. Get up close and take your lumps, then live to fight another day.

See, Ice Cube's dad in "Friday" was a Sensei. :sly:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm really glad that Hay managed to change his outlook on life. I'm hoping the best for him, even if he doesn't quite make the team. He certainly has the motivation to be successful.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
QuantumOfSalas said:
Agree. Scraps in high school were even planned. If you had beef with someone, you simply went to the parking lot at 3:30 and settled it. Nobody ever had a knife or gun. These days (boy that makes me sound old), kids have no balls. Anyone can pull a trigger or brandish a knife. Get up close and take your lumps, then live to fight another day.

And you could always count on a couple guys breaking out in an arm wrestling match if the authorities showed up to see what the crowd was all about.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
You guys were raised in a nicer place than I was, if I was "going outside" I'd make em empty their pockets or I wasn't going.

I guess I was probably 14 the first time someone tried to stab me,at a bus stop.

My parents built a new house to get us out of that neigborhood, it was for the best,funny though half the HS coaches in this area came from that part of town.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
You guys were raised in a nicer place than I was, if I was "going outside" I'd make em empty their pockets or I wasn't going.

I guess I was probably 14 the first time someone tried to stab me,at a bus stop.

My parents built a new house to get us out of that neigborhood, it was for the best,funny though half the HS coaches in this area came from that part of town.
Probably right. White suburbia - in the 80's. The fights were pretty badass, but it's like there was a code. If a guy was getting waxed, you gave him the opportunity to say "give." As in, "You give?" I still maintain that if you need to bring a weapon, then you simply have no stones. Anyone can do that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I was one of the two Haoles in my school when was growing up in Pearl City HI. And just so you know,,, they have a day every year set aside for kicking the shit out of all Haoles trying to call HI home. Haoles BTW means a white person.

When my family first moved there,,, they wouldn't even pick up our garbage, much less speak to us. 70's,,, so that's ancient history now.

I got my Soc Sec # in HI... I learned how to fight there too. Had to.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:
I was one of the two Haoles in my school when was growing up in Pearl City HI. And just so you know,,, they have a day every year set aside for kicking the shit out of all Haoles trying to call HI home. Haoles BTW means a white person.

When my family first moved there,,, they wouldn't even pick up our garbage, much less speak to us. 70's,,, so that's ancient history now.

Wow, that must have been brutal. Forced you grow up in a different way than most of us. Glad you survived and are one of my Ram's brothers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:

I heard Hawaii was like that, I had a buddy from there who said there's some areas where they'll pretty much kill white guys who wonder off there away from the tourist areas.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:
I was one of the two Haoles in my school when was growing up in Pearl City HI. And just so you know,,, they have a day every year set aside for kicking the shyte out of all Haoles trying to call HI home. Haoles BTW means a white person.

I heard Hawaii was like that, I had a buddy from there who said there's some areas where they'll pretty much kill white guys who wonder off there away from the tourist areas.

I had a kid working for me about 10 years ago who said a lot of what Selassie attests to, they make black kids sit the bench in basketball too :razzed:
Seriously though he said once you get away from the beaches and resort up in the hills houses don't sell all that well. He showed me pictures of one his family was selling for $180K that in Cali would be 250K minimum .