Thomas: Possible that Browns — not Rams — are NFL's worst-run team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Thomas: Possible that Browns — not Rams — are NFL's worst-run team
By Jim Thomas St. Louis Post-Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Rams fans here in St. Louis may claim otherwise, but is there a worse-run franchise in the NFL than the Cleveland Browns? The Browns are on their sixth head coach in nine years, haven’t made the playoffs since 2002 — a longer postseason drought than even the Rams — and haven’t had a winning record since 2007.

And then came the first day of free agency. On Wednesday, the Browns lost center Alex Mack to Atlanta, safety Tashaun Gipson to Jacksonville, right tackle Mitchell Schwartz to Kansas City and wide receiver Travis Benjamin to San Diego.

Mack, Schwartz, and Gipson all made the Post-Dispatch Top 30 list of available free agents for 2016. Mack and Gipson are Pro Bowlers. Schwartz hasn’t missed an offensive snap in four NFL seasons. Benjamin was second on the team in catches (68), yards (966) and TD catches (five).

Cap issues? Not hardly. The Browns entered the week with $37.6 million in cap space.

But even with all that money, the team never even made a contract offer to Gipson, league sources say.

After signing a four-year, $24 million contract with the Chargers, Benjamin was asked by San Diego writers if it was tough leaving Cleveland.

“No. Not at all,” he replied.

Everyone seems to be piling on. ESPN’s Adam Schefter dropped his usual nothing-but-the-facts approach by saying this earlier in the week on TV: “Players treat the Browns organization like it’s a college experience. Four years and done.”

The franchise that brought Brown fans Tim Couch, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel at quarterback over the years, finally admitted the mistake with Manziel on Friday by punting Johnny Football. He was placed on waivers.

Two years ago, the Rams were tempted to draft Manziel, with some members of the team’s coaching staff raving privately to reporters about Manziel’s potential. But even the Rams passed.

QB CAROUSEL, DENVER DIVISION
Last week at this time, Peyton Manning was still contemplating retirement, and Brock Osweiler was the presumed successor-in-waiting.

Manning announced his retirement Monday, but Osweiler took the money and ran to Houston to the tune of a reported $72 million over four years, with $37 million guaranteed. That left the defending Super Bowl champions scrambling with only Trevor Siemian on the roster at quarterback.

General manager John Elway didn’t take the Osweiler defection well.

“We’ve stayed true to our philosophy of building a team with players who want to be Denver Broncos and want to be here,” he said.

On Friday, the Broncos traded a conditional draft pick to Philadelphia for Mark Sanchez, who is expected to be a backup. Elway basically indicated as much, tweeting after the deal was completed that “this is the first step in our process.”

But what’s the second step? Ryan Fitzpatrick remains stuck in neutral in his negotiations with the New York Jets. Colin Kaepernick seems to be leaning toward Hue Jackson and Cleveland. Yes, Cleveland. And a somewhat desperate Robert Griffin III was visiting the New York Jets on Friday, according to multiple reports.

And then there’s, uh, Manziel.

QUOTE TO REMEMBER
Think they were cringing a little at Giants headquarters when new hire Janoris Jenkins said this on a conference call with reporters? When asked what he needed to improve on, he replied: “Just stop being lazy at the end of games or whatever.”

You know, what with that $62.5 million contract with $28.8 million guaranteed.

EXTRA BODIES
The NFL awarded 33 compensatory draft picks to 13 clubs Friday. Dallas, Denver, and New England led the way with four apiece. The Rams got none.

Detroit, Denver, New England and Seattle each received picks at the end of Round 3, the highest picks allowed for compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded (although that rule changes in 2017).

Compensatory picks are awarded based on free agents lost versus free agents gained in the previous offseason, with the formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.

FAREWELL IN THE DOME?
Many “St. Louis” Rams fans have asked for details in recent weeks about the planned charity flag football game in the Edward Jones Dome. It’s the brainchild of Isaac Bruce — a way for former Rams players to say thanks to the fans of St. Louis for their support over the years.

With the franchise moving to Los Angeles, the idea is to round up many of the Greatest Show on Turf players one last time in the Dome, with proceeds benefiting St. Louis charity. Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz have already agreed to serve as “coaches.” Kurt Warner plans to attend.

But there are no additional details at this point because the Isaac Bruce Foundation is still trying to nail down a date in late spring or early summer with the Convention and Visitors Commission. For that reason, many former Rams players have yet to be contacted. Stay tuned.

STILL LOOKING
Defensive end Chris Long has visited Atlanta and Washington and has a couple of trips planned next week, including Dallas. Linebacker James Laurinaitis has visited New Orleans and Atlanta. But all has been quiet on tight end Jared Cook — no word of any interest or visits. All three players were released three weeks ago by the Rams.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hahhahahaha

This Janoris Jenkins quote is the best thing I've read this year

I'm gonna miss the Jackrabbit

QUOTE TO REMEMBER
Think they were cringing a little at Giants headquarters when new hire Janoris Jenkins said this on a conference call with reporters? When asked what he needed to improve on, he replied: “Just stop being lazy at the end of games or whatever.”

You know, what with that $62.5 million contract with $28.8 million guaranteed.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Will Cook, JL, and Long be back?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:puke: Jim Thomas speaks and I want to ... :puke: I've lost all respect for him!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Yeah. Think we made a good decision there, holding the line on JJ? The McLeod loss is the only one I think may hurt.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Im usually a big Jim Thomas fan and I understand he has to placate his STL audience, but even with the major struggles over the past decade the rams are far from the worst run organization in the league. Almost half the league hasn't won the superbowl.

Through his cap management and how he helped orchestrate this whole movement process Demoff has shown he is one of the better executives in the league. As an organization how the Rams deal with millennials, form practice habits, philosophy drafting players, and use of on analytics shows how progressive they are as an organization. The foundation is there and I have to agree when the organization claims they are QB stability away from being consistently good.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
JT seems to be morphing into bitter Bernie, as Bernie morphs into Jabba the Hut.

my response to jimmy boy in comments.
"What's funny is how everyone keeps whining about the greed of Kroenke,when in fact
St Louis would still have the football Cardinals if not for the greed of the city leaders.
Can't have the county taking all that money now can we?Keep playing that victim role
Jim. it's so professional. #lost all respect"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I suppose this is to be expected out of soon to be looking for work Rams reporters. There was absolutely no reason to put that crap in the headline except to be a little bitch. JT - you really lowered yourself in this one.