This was on the front page of BSPN.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well technically on another website, but linking to another website by Bill Simmons on the front page.

It had a picture of Sam Bradford so hey...let's see this! Then I read about the 8 worst teams in the league...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9626548/bill-barnwell-bottom-eight-teams-nfl-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/962 ... s-nfl-2013</a>

Here is the Rams blurb:

St. Louis Rams

2012 Record: 7-8-1
Pythagorean Wins: 6.6 (overperformed by 0.4 wins, 12th-luckiest in league)
Record in Games Decided by Seven Points or Fewer: 4-3-1 (0.571, ninth-best in league)
Strength of Schedule: 0.555 (toughest in league)
Turnover Margin: Minus-1 (tied for 17th in league)

2013 Out-of-Division Schedule: AFC South, NFC South, vs. Bears, at Cowboys

The difference between Sam Bradford throwing to Danny Amendola and Sam Bradford throwing to anybody else has been very stark during Bradford's brief NFL career. He gets about as much on each throw regardless — 6.1 yards per attempt to Amendola, 6.3 yards per attempt to all the others. Where he's differed has been in completion percentage. Bradford has completed 66.5 percent of his passes to Amendola, which has helped make his numbers look better and left him with a safety valve during those times when Amendola and Bradford were both healthy. When throwing to other receivers, Bradford has completed just 56.8 percent of his passes. In other words, he turns from an efficient-if-conservative checkdown artist with Amendola into the 2012 version of Blaine Gabbert without him.

At this point, Bradford is basically a ruthless checkdown artist; the Rams are the ones paying millions of dollars to put something they don't really understand or have any use for up on their wall right now, and since they've already done it once, they keep doing it. Bradford routinely doesn't see open receivers downfield or doesn't see them until the window is already closing. Just 6.8 percent of his passes since joining the league have gone for 20 yards or more, which is the lowest rate in the league for passers with 1,000 attempts or more over that time frame. The average rate for those quarterbacks is 9.3 percent, which tells you just how little of an impact Bradford has had. You can be a good quarterback in this league by checking down a lot — Matt Ryan is at only 7.6 percent, and Peyton Manning is barely ahead of him at 8.4 percent — but you need to complete 65 percent of your passes in doing so to repeatedly move the chains. Bradford is at 58 percent. If you want to succeed while completing 58 percent of your passes, you have to be like Cam Newton, who leads the league in this stat by turning 12.2 percent of his pass attempts into 20-plus-yard gains. If you're not completing a lot of passes and those passes aren't going very far, you're not pushing your team in the right direction.

The Rams can make a case that Bradford has his best supporting cast ever. He has Jake Long in at left tackle and should hopefully get a full year out of Scott Wells at center. Amendola left for New England, but there are a variety of options available to replace him, including big-money free agents (Jared Cook) and top-10 draft picks (Tavon Austin) and their college buddies (Stedman Bailey). Of course, they've given Bradford a variety of wideouts and some expected line improvements in the past, and they haven't been of much use.

The one thing from their statistical profile you would expect to see make their life easier would be that top-ranked schedule above, but the Rams still have to play the Seahawks and 49ers and line up, at least, against the Cardinals. That's not enough alone to make St. Louis's schedule the toughest in football for another season, but they should still be in the top five or so.

Best-Case Scenario: Ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn each finish with a dozen sacks, Bradford becomes fast friends with Austin and Cook out of the slot, and when one of the NFC West teams disappoints, the Rams win 10 games and sneak into the playoffs.

Worst-Case Scenario: Bradford blows and the Rams waste their season trying to get to 2014 and acquire their quarterback of the future.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Crap article with no background on the situation given! Bleh!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Grantland also has an article on its site titled; "Donald Trump licked my flesh - part two."

Between that smut and the fact guy who wrote that piece on the Rams wears flannel in a staff photo tells me all I need to know about how serious to take this stuff.

barnwell_bill_m.jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
They are basing that off his yards per attempt average. 500 attempts in the Shurmur offense for 2 yards each will do that to your average.
This guy is a moron.
Oh, and F*** You Pat Shurmur.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Angry Ram said:
Well technically on another website, but linking to another website by Bill Simmons on the front page.

It had a picture of Sam Bradford so hey...let's see this! Then I read about the 8 worst teams in the league...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9626548/bill-barnwell-bottom-eight-teams-nfl-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/962 ... s-nfl-2013</a>

Here is the Rams blurb:

St. Louis Rams

2012 Record: 7-8-1
Pythagorean Wins: 6.6 (overperformed by 0.4 wins, 12th-luckiest in league)
Record in Games Decided by Seven Points or Fewer: 4-3-1 (0.571, ninth-best in league)
Strength of Schedule: 0.555 (toughest in league)
Turnover Margin: Minus-1 (tied for 17th in league)

2013 Out-of-Division Schedule: AFC South, NFC South, vs. Bears, at Cowboys

The difference between Sam Bradford throwing to Danny Amendola and Sam Bradford throwing to anybody else has been very stark during Bradford's brief NFL career. He gets about as much on each throw regardless — 6.1 yards per attempt to Amendola, 6.3 yards per attempt to all the others. Where he's differed has been in completion percentage. Bradford has completed 66.5 percent of his passes to Amendola, which has helped make his numbers look better and left him with a safety valve during those times when Amendola and Bradford were both healthy. When throwing to other receivers, Bradford has completed just 56.8 percent of his passes. In other words, he turns from an efficient-if-conservative checkdown artist with Amendola into the 2012 version of Blaine Gabbert without him.

At this point, Bradford is basically a ruthless checkdown artist; the Rams are the ones paying millions of dollars to put something they don't really understand or have any use for up on their wall right now, and since they've already done it once, they keep doing it. Bradford routinely doesn't see open receivers downfield or doesn't see them until the window is already closing. Just 6.8 percent of his passes since joining the league have gone for 20 yards or more, which is the lowest rate in the league for passers with 1,000 attempts or more over that time frame. The average rate for those quarterbacks is 9.3 percent, which tells you just how little of an impact Bradford has had. You can be a good quarterback in this league by checking down a lot — Matt Ryan is at only 7.6 percent, and Peyton Manning is barely ahead of him at 8.4 percent — but you need to complete 65 percent of your passes in doing so to repeatedly move the chains. Bradford is at 58 percent. If you want to succeed while completing 58 percent of your passes, you have to be like Cam Newton, who leads the league in this stat by turning 12.2 percent of his pass attempts into 20-plus-yard gains. If you're not completing a lot of passes and those passes aren't going very far, you're not pushing your team in the right direction.

The Rams can make a case that Bradford has his best supporting cast ever. He has Jake Long in at left tackle and should hopefully get a full year out of Scott Wells at center. Amendola left for New England, but there are a variety of options available to replace him, including big-money free agents (Jared Cook) and top-10 draft picks (Tavon Austin) and their college buddies (Stedman Bailey). Of course, they've given Bradford a variety of wideouts and some expected line improvements in the past, and they haven't been of much use.

The one thing from their statistical profile you would expect to see make their life easier would be that top-ranked schedule above, but the Rams still have to play the Seahawks and 49ers and line up, at least, against the Cardinals. That's not enough alone to make St. Louis's schedule the toughest in football for another season, but they should still be in the top five or so.

Best-Case Scenario: Ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn each finish with a dozen sacks, Bradford becomes fast friends with Austin and Cook out of the slot, and when one of the NFC West teams disappoints, the Rams win 10 games and sneak into the playoffs.

Worst-Case Scenario: Bradford blows and the Rams waste their season trying to get to 2014 and acquire their quarterback of the future.

Whoever wrote this article, is an imbecile.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
HE WITH HORNS happy to see the door hit Shurmer in the ass:
They are basing that off his yards per attempt average. 500 attempts in the Shurmur offense for 2 yards each will do that to your average.
This guy is a moron.
Oh, and F*** You Pat Shurmur.
I can still remember posters telling me how good that was for Sam's development. :shock:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Honestly, I am anxious to see Sam consistently find the open guy beyond his 1st or 2nd option.

He has yet to do that, of course there have been solid reasons why he hasn't but I still want to see it to confirm that Sam is the answer at QB.

So Sam will either take that step up and make all the naysayers eat their words or he will disappoint and just end up being an average QB.

Frankly, I don't need Barnwell to tell me anything about the Rams. He knows a fraction of what I know about them and most everything else in life. He is actually more comic than sports analyst.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
Honestly, I am anxious to see Sam consistently find the open guy beyond his 1st or 2nd option.

He has yet to do that, of course there have been solid reasons why he hasn't but I still want to see it to confirm that Sam is the answer at QB.
Serious question.

Are you aware that all QBs do that from time to time (not go through their reads)?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
max said:

Serious question.

Are you aware that all QBs do that from time to time (not go through their reads)?

Serious question. Why are you asking me that?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
max said:

Serious question.

I'm just wondering if you find that to be a problem specific to Sam. I've seen many a QB not go through their progressions when they have a favorite target, and it's not so much an issue of lack of time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
max said:

So Sam will either take that step up and make all the naysayers eat their words or he will disappoint and just end up being an average QB.

Frankly, I don't need Barnwell to tell me anything about the Rams. He knows a fraction of what I know about them and most everything else in life. He is actually more comic than sports analyst.

I hope he has open guys beyond his first two options.....however if he has to look beyond his first two options with any regularity it's not going to be a good year for him or the Rams. That'll mean the guys paid to get open and make plays aren't getting open to make plays.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
X said:
max said:
X said:
max said:

Serious question.

I'm just wondering if you find that to be a problem specific to Sam. I've seen many a QB not go through their progressions when they have a favorite target, and it's not so much an issue of lack of time.

Sometimes a QB doesn't go through his reads because he looking to the guy he trusts most to make a play. Also, when guys are dropping catchable balls, a QB will look to the guy that wont drop passes. I think Sam sometimes looks to the guy he knows will catch the ball even if it results in a shorter completion.

I know when my son played through his college career, his QBs looked at him even if he wasn't the first/second option because he would make a play when needed. As he progressed through his career he became the first/second option. It's that security blanket that QB's like to have.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Serious question, have you long forgotten what MontanaRamsFan actually said long before you scroll past his post like me?

Bradford, oh yeah, I really want to see a mature talented QB this season so excited to have so many targets he plays like it's situation, down and distance he is thinking about and not who he is throwing to.

I also want to see an extension of his more recent running elusiveness (well, perhaps "elusiveness" is a reach... running opportunity?) and pocket awareness that he showed last season and in the preseason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta love statistics. They allow anyone to pretend to be an expert on any football team/player they are talking about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:

I understand what you're saying but I think you'd find the same is true with most QBs. Sam does need to get better at seeing the field and getting through his progressions quicker but most QBs don't consistently get to their 3rd progression.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sooo... Bradford's vision allows him only to see Ammendola and Ammendola is no longer on the team. That's really all he said. How am I suppose to take this guy seriously?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
mr.stlouis said:
Sooo... Bradford's vision allows him only to see Ammendola and Ammendola is no longer on the team. That's really all he said. How am I suppose to take this guy seriously?

That's the thing. About 3% of what he's saying has any validity. The rest is pure conjecture and satire.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mr.stlouis said:

Yes. Yes you are.

B/c it's associated w/ BSPN, and BSPN is the leader in sports.