This team is so exciting now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
On the decent possibility that Clemens continues to improve as the season progresses and the team finishes strong there will be an interesting situation next year.

Bradford will be the starter for sure at the start of the season. And if they get off to a slow start there will be a lot of clamorring for another QB, if not Clemens that whoever the new guy is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I never ever made that statement, haha. Maybe I am being confused with some others.....
I know you didn't make that statement. Bro, you gotta go back and re-read the original post. I think you'll see how a lot of people would disagree with some of those statements. If Bradford was never mentioned, I think everyone would agree that the team is more exciting to watch now. But there are obviously a *ton* of factors that go into their improved play outside of m'boy KC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think some of you are associating the emotional feeling that a better playing Rams team has given with Clemens on the field.

Clemens played pretty darn good yesterday...but he didn't propel the team into that win. He made a couple nice throws to Tavon...made some nice check downs that went for first downs.

I also believe that the Rams may be sitting here at 6-4 rather than 4-6 if Bradford was playing the past 3 weeks. That crossing pattern TD is the exact pass Bradford makes all the time and gets criticized for...it just so happens that Austin found that space we've been desperate for.

I said it immediately after Bradford went down that right now Clemens is the Rams best option to try and win. 3 weeks later that still holds true. Clemens is performing as well as you could ask a backup to. However, if he doesn't keep it up or improve then I still see the logic in playing the younger Davis down the stretch...I'm hoping that doesn't happen as it would mean we are still competing every week.

He caused a fumble, then picked it up and scored. He ran back a punt for a TD. And he threw himself two long TD passes. He did some pretty good running between the tackles too!

You and I musta watched different games.......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This whole topic reminds me of the short attention span society we live in.

We lose next game; Clemens is a bum again.

17 of our 38 points came from the Defense and Special Teams.

had

Rookie
It just seems that our offense is more exciting now that Bradford is out. I don't think Clemens is the answer by any damn means, but I think a better version of him is. Someone with his pocket awareness is helpful, Bradford was a statue and did his line no favors. I also like his mentality of going down field. I will take 250 yards of down field action all day over 35 7-10 yard passes. I haven't seen Clemens throw a whole lot of crap at the LOS. I just enjoy the games more now. I know that our D comin around helps and having Stacy playing well helps. But I think a lot of that starts with the different style of QB play.

I can kind of see what you're saying, in that TA's breakout game comes with Clemens at the helm, and in that there's no way to know if Bradford would have made that throw to TA on the 81 yard TD. I think you can argue that Bradford might not have made that throw, nor the 57 yard TD throw -- having already given up on the play and checking it down. I think this is your point. And I kind of see it, and to an extent, I think you may have a good point. The problem for me, with your post, is the highlighted portion above. Do you think that a lot of our D coming around and Stacy playing well has to do with the different QB play? I'm thinking you don't, but that's how it reads. If that is what you're saying, in my opinion, it's a ludicrous claim.

Also, I wonder how exciting the offense felt to you in the Seattle game. Clemens had a 150+ rush performance, and stank it up big time. Looking at the stats on that game, I still have a hard time coming to grips with a Rams loss.

I believe, it is my opinion, and I think, that you are biased against Mr. Bradford.

peace

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
LOL at this thread.

Really shows how some folks are completely instant gratification types, it's like the last 2 games of his just disappeared. I'm a Clemens fans for as long as he's a Ram and playing for us, but people are just getting ridiculous with this piling accolades on him. Before we know it it'll be like on the PD where people are saying his throws are Warner like.

He was a career backup his entire life for a reason folks, don't forget it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The team really misses Sam in the redzone.

They had brain farts 3 times now in 3 straight games.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The Rams have become a much better run team in the past 5 weeks. This is a huge factor in that the past three games have been much closer.

Also, since Bradford has gone down the offense is averaging less points per game (subtracting defensive and ST scores)...and struggling in the redzone, which up until Sunday depended on the pass to score.

Clemens is operating perfectly as the fill in backup QB. He isn't doing anything flashy or extraordinary. That in and of itself is surprising and exciting if you ask me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I sort of see this as "Sam syndrome" .
For the last three years my team had a heavyweight his name is Sam,Sam couldn't DO a pushup when he started with us,lost every match his first year, he collected forfeits when other teams had no heavy so he had value ,then in his second year Sam won a match ,the crowd erupted people were high fiveing each other huggin Sam ,just shickled titless. He had exceeded our expectations and continues to improve and MIGHT make it to this years state tournament,our fans continue to revel in his successes, while our best wrestlers go out ,win as expected to ho hum applause.
I think ya'll know where I'm goin' with this, might be some irrational exuberance about Kell, he's raised his stock with me,I don't think we're looking at a Trent Green/ Kurt Warner dilema,but IF KC's light has come on ,IMA enjoy the ride and let next year take care of next year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The team *is* more exciting to watch, but it has little to do with Clemens. And I'm a Clemens fan. 500 yards rushing in 3 games, special teams TDs, fumble recovery TDs, more sacks, rushing touchdowns, a resurgent defense, etc. I mean, c'mon man. There's more happening than just Clemens playing scrappy. And I think you're confusing "pocket awareness" with "quick to bail" as it relates to Clemens. Nobody who's ever accused Bradford of having no pocket awareness has ever been able to qualify that statement. Maybe you just need to remember...

Thank you for posting this. These Clemens is "better", "more exciting", "has better..." posts are getting tiresome and are simply wrong...IMO, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
TWO WEEKS OF THIS:slap:

I hope they find all the bodies in Richie Incognto's crawl space soon

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For all of those who seem to think that Sam doesn't or can't make that throw on the crossing route to Austin..... Consider this for just a minute.

Indy played man coverage exclusively throughout the game. Based on the Rams recent tendency and success in the running game with Stacy, they obviously sold out to strop the run. They chose to put the game in the hands of Clemens and the young receiving core as they more than likely felt he wasn't capable of making enough plays to beat them.

Again, as much of this thread is speculative, who's to say had Bradford been the QB, would Indy have taken this approach? My guess, Indianapolis (based on what virtually every other opponent had done while Bradford was playing) would have been to play much more zone coverage. Those crossing routes just aren't as effective against zone coverage, and therefore, that entire play doesn't happen at all.

So rather than just picking selective plays and saying Clemens executed "better", how about putting the entire game in perspective and see the differences in how teams approach THIS Rams offense, as opposed to the one that Bradford was at the helm of for the first 6 weeks of the season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It just seems that our offense is more exciting now that Bradford is out. I don't think Clemens is the answer by any damn means, but I think a better version of him is. Someone with his pocket awareness is helpful, Bradford was a statue and did his line no favors. I also like his mentality of going down field. I will take 250 yards of down field action all day over 35 7-10 yard passes. I haven't seen Clemens throw a whole lot of crap at the LOS. I just enjoy the games more now. I know that our D comin around helps and having Stacy playing well helps. But I think a lot of that starts with the different style of QB play.

You lost me at "now that Bradford is out".

I'm finding the games more exciting too. I just can't see how you can equate the D playing well, TA breaking out, and Stacy running well with Bradford being absent.

Processing...

Processing...

Nope, doesn't compute.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Clemens has NO pocket awareness/presence. He cannot sense when he is about to get hit. So after a hit or two he just bails early. He isn't quick enough or agile enough to skate around the pocket. When he runs he doesn't look down field enough. Bradford has better pocket awareness and when he feels the pressure he steps up into the pocket keeping his eyes down field like he is supposed to. It did take him a while to develop it but it has been much better as this season went on. Saying that Clemens has better pocket presence is confusing his better movement with awareness. Clemens is just a bailer and that is tougher for Olinemen to block for. Stepping into the moving pocket at leasts allows the Oline to know where you are and try to maintain a pocket to throw in.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On the decent possibility that Clemens continues to improve as the season progresses and the team finishes strong there will be an interesting situation next year.

Bradford will be the starter for sure at the start of the season. And if they get off to a slow start there will be a lot of clamorring for another QB, if not Clemens that whoever the new guy is.
Agreed.
All the good and bad Bradford analysis paralysis about dink and dunk,taking chances downfield,locking into receivers,taking good care of the ball,high TD to INT %,being a leader,completion %...all that stuff won't matter anymore.

Bradford must deliver only one thing in 2014 and thats W's. Its his team,the supporting cast has gotten better,it'll likely be even stronger next season,Shotty will probably be back...Sam must progress in the win column. Bottom line.

If Bradford loses his grip on the starting job at any point from here on out(injuries not withstanding) he's done in St Louis. I don't see that happening but it's far too late to "sit" Bradford for performance reasons and expect better results when he returns.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
For all of those who seem to think that Sam doesn't or can't make that throw on the crossing route to Austin..... Consider this for just a minute.

Indy played man coverage exclusively throughout the game. Based on the Rams recent tendency and success in the running game with Stacy, they obviously sold out to strop the run. They chose to put the game in the hands of Clemens and the young receiving core as they more than likely felt he wasn't capable of making enough plays to beat them.

Again, as much of this thread is speculative, who's to say had Bradford been the QB, would Indy have taken this approach? My guess, Indianapolis (based on what virtually every other opponent had done while Bradford was playing) would have been to play much more zone coverage. Those crossing routes just aren't as effective against zone coverage, and therefore, that entire play doesn't happen at all.

So rather than just picking selective plays and saying Clemens executed "better", how about putting the entire game in perspective and see the differences in how teams approach THIS Rams offense, as opposed to the one that Bradford was at the helm of for the first 6 weeks of the season.

Good point. To build on that, it would have opened Stacy/Cunningham to run for more yards. As soon as that would occur, the deep pass would have been available. Watch Sam's game when he was having chemistry with Danario Alexander vs the Giants, the pass that was stupidly called back in the San Francisco game last year (in SF), the New England bomb in London, etc etc etc for people who think he can't throw a long pass like how Clemens did to Austin.

PS-I am so happy that certain people on this board have no say in the team personnel...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Good point. To build on that, it would have opened Stacy/Cunningham to run for more yards. As soon as that would occur, the deep pass would have been available. Watch Sam's game when he was having chemistry with Danario Alexander vs the Giants, the pass that was stupidly called back in the San Francisco game last year (in SF), the New England bomb in London, etc etc etc for people who think he can't throw a long pass like how Clemens did to Austin.

PS-I am so happy that certain people on this board have no say in the team personnel...
Oh you think this board is bad? You should se what's going on over at Ram Stalk.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Oh you think this board is bad? You should se what's going on over at Ram Stalk.
Whoah buddy, don't mention that place.

That's an evil place. It's like Bloody Mary, say it's name three times and it appears to tell you Bradford is a bust.

lasvegasrams

Rookie

this board actually for the most part i find pretty educated. we all get emotional and have rash judgements, but there are always at least a few in any board that are clueless