This team is hard to figure, they've just set Rams record, fewest yards rushing back to back games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-11-16_14-53-38.png

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Something has come on for the defense...either the scheme has started to make sense to the unit as a whole or Williams saw some adjustments that needed to be made.

They are an exciting defense to watch, that's for sure!

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Something has come on for the defense...either the scheme has started to make sense to the unit as a whole or Williams saw some adjustments that needed to be made.

Agreed 100%, Sum. When we get our offense healthy, this team will be something to behold.

GO RAMS!!!!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Agreed 100%, Sum. When we get our offense healthy, this team will be something to behold.

GO RAMS!!!!
Even if the offense just remains adequate, the D can dominate and that can lead to more W's. If the offense becomes good we are a legit Super bowl contender

RamWoodie

Legend

This is what I agree with. I've been saying the Williams defense was what the players struggled with. This is not hard to understand because a different defense very often changes responsibilities. From what I understand of the Williams defense it allows players to be instinctive to a greater degree, which requires them to learn and know what the player next to them will do in a given situation.

I could be wrong...but I think the big difference is the players now KNOW what one another will do in this defense, and that is the the big difference.

There's still some secondary confusion though. Jenkins was pretty IRATE with McCleod on that bomb TD. One could easily see they mis-communicated whatever was suppose to happen...and Jenkins expected McCleod to be over the top there. I'd be interested to know what Fisher has to say on that play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

They've actually been on the upswing since week 2 or so. At the beginning of the year they were terrible, but Greg systematically coached them up to fix their mistakes and it showed week by week. Run defense has clearly been fixed for weeks now. Pass defense is starting to really come around now.

GW allows these guys enormous flexibility to adjust on the fly within the scheme. I think that was at the root of their issues, and GW deserves enormous credit for how consistent they've been in terms of improving week to week.

If this team can get some consistent QB play they are more than capable of stringing together a lot of wins because of that defense.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This is what I agree with. I've been saying the Williams defense was what the players struggled with. This is not hard to understand because a different defense very often changes responsibilities. From what I understand of the Williams defense it allows players to be instinctive to a greater degree, which requires them to learn and know what the player next to them will do in a given situation.

I could be wrong...but I think the big difference is the players now KNOW what one another will do in this defense, and that is the the big difference.

There's still some secondary confusion though. Jenkins was pretty IRATE with McCleod on that bomb TD. One could easily see they mis-communicated whatever was suppose to happen...and Jenkins expected McCleod to be over the top there. I'd be interested to know what Fisher has to say on that play.
I read somewhere (likely one of the reporters on Twitter, or I could have heard it on the post game show on 101) that Jenkins blew his assignment, that he was supposed to be over the top there.

Alan

Legend
Sum1 with this news:
I read somewhere (likely one of the reporters on Twitter, or I could have heard it on the post game show on 101) that Jenkins blew his assignment, that he was supposed to be over the top there.
If true, it begs a question. Why are they having Jenkins doing that. Playing zone is what he didn't do well in the past. To add to that chain, is GW thinking that McLeod is so bad at it that Jenkins is the better alternative?

That brings up something else I've always wondered about. I hear frequently how someone is doing a job that isn't in their normal job description. Like Chris going back in pass D to cover someone? I understand the concept of changing things up and giving different looks but what's the bottom line here? You're asking someone to do something that they don't do well and your being replaced by a guy who can't do your job as well as you can. I wonder if that is really very effective. I can't really wrap my head around why those, in my mind, minor advantages is worth asking a plumber to fix your roof. I'd be interested in hearing why any of you thinks it's a good thing to do and why.

Defending against the deep pass is part of a FS's job description isn't it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that they are hard to figure out. This team has been strong against HBs all year except for the TB game. They just had guys struggling with assignments early on...especially outside the tackles. We've been gashed by QBs some but we've handled running games well. And as our defense has gotten more comfortable with their assignments and the scheme, they've clamped down on running games.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't know that they are hard to figure out. This team has been strong against HBs all year except for the TB game. They just had guys struggling with assignments early on...especially outside the tackles. We've been gashed by QBs some but we've handled running games well. And as our defense has gotten more comfortable with their assignments and the scheme, they've clamped down on running games.
I was remarking during the game how not worrying about Manning running sure made Ogletree more effective.
People said all along Manning was the type QB we could beat ,Rivers next he's more of a runner than Manning but I don't think he strikes much fear.

RamWoodie

Legend
When you look at the play McCleod pulls up off coverage! That's what has me wondering...he's the safety! Now...I don't know what his assignment was...but he just flat pulled up off coverage.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If true, it begs a question. Why are they having Jenkins doing that. Playing zone is what he didn't do well in the past. To add to that chain, is GW thinking that McLeod is so bad at it that Jenkins is the better alternative?

That brings up something else I've always wondered about. I hear frequently how someone is doing a job that isn't in their normal job description. Like Chris going back in pass D to cover someone? I understand the concept of changing things up and giving different looks but what's the bottom line here? You're asking someone to do something that they don't do well and your being replaced by a guy who can't do your job as well as you can. I wonder if that is really very effective. I can't really wrap my head around why those, in my mind, minor advantages is worth asking a plumber to fix your roof. I'd be interested in hearing why any of you thinks it's a good thing to do and why.

Defending against the deep pass is part of a FS's job description isn't it?

TV did not show good enough angles to tell, will have to wait till Tuesday (voiced carry) to see All-22. The far side looked like cover 2. Broncos had their TE and Rb stay into block. Alexander looked like he had RB if he released. Rams ran a good stunt on the front. On the near side Sanders was outside and Welker in the slot, Welker cut in and I think McCleod bit on that, gave help to the slot defender. Jenkins seemed to expect that McLeod would give deep help, but he couldn't since he likely bit on Welker inside route.

But, will be interested in seeing it. TV view never had McLeod in frame, he was that deep. We only saw him when ball was over his head and Sanders ran the seam.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was remarking during the game how not worrying about Manning running sure made Ogletree more effective.
People said all along Manning was the type QB we could beat ,Rivers next he's more of a runner than Manning but I don't think he strikes much fear.

I think the guy in CGI's avatar is more of a runner than Manning. Rivers is more than Manning but he'd still be outrun by Jimmy Kennedy in a footrace. ;)