This Ram coaching staff makes quick no nonsense personnel decisions, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Replace "Spruce" with Kupp and you might have something

Jerry Rice was a 1st round pick despite his slow 40, Boldin a 2nd rounder. Spruce wasn't drafted. Perspective.....

You think Kupp's 4.62 (vs. Spruce's 4.69) 40 makes a difference? As you know, football speed isn't the same. We haven't seen either player's on-field speed in the NFL. As to Spruce not being drafted, I believe that he will prove 32 teams wrong. It happens a lot, you know.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Replace "Spruce" with Kupp and you might have something

Jerry Rice was a 1st round pick despite his slow 40, Boldin a 2nd rounder. Spruce wasn't drafted. Perspective.....

I hear you Ram Brother, was just pointing out that i wouldnt be SURPRISED if Spruce makes some noise lined up outside given his skill set. Now will he be the next Jerry Rice? Prolly fuckin not but i think he can turn some heads if he stays healthy...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Don't get me wrong, I like everything McVay is doing at the moment. But really, most coaching staffs do this. Remember the great purge of most of our roster after Fisher came in? The true test will be in two or three years if, for example, Gerald Everett has turned out to be a bust will McVay cut or trade him as easily as Grob? Probably a bad example as a second round pick compared to #2 overall but you get my point. It's always refreshing to see a new coach cut ties with all the ball and chains the old staff seemed to have cuffed to their legs due to capital investments spent on them.

But, hopefully we're so good and our drafts now and going forward are so awesome McVay will never have to make the decision of cutting a first round pick before their first contact is up. :)

Pretty much.

It's all a combo of financial and seeing who does or doesn't fit with the team. I.E. Lance Kendricks is a good player, but isn't the potential receiving TE like Gerald Everett can be.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I just want receivers who can catch a ball and get separation, I don't care how they get it. They may not outrun DB's, but they will get the ball down the field and get first downs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think Kupp's 4.62 (vs. Spruce's 4.69) 40 makes a difference? As you know, football speed isn't the same. We haven't seen either player's on-field speed in the NFL. As to Spruce not being drafted, I believe that he will prove 32 teams wrong. It happens a lot, you know.
Kupp has many other skill sets that justify his draft postioning despite his slow 40. I still believe he's destined for the slot, although @jrry32 can illustrate why that may not be true.
*If* Spruce is to make the team, I do not see him playing outside, not one bit. And not ahead of Kupp to boot.
And the list of undrafted guys who don't make it is significantly longer than those that do....

Ramification

Kupp has many other skill sets that justify his draft postioning despite his slow 40. I still believe he's destined for the slot, although @jrry32 can illustrate why that may not be true.
*If* Spruce is to make the team, I do not see him playing outside, not one bit. And not ahead of Kupp to boot.
And the list of undrafted guys who don't make it is significantly longer than those that do....

Same is true for drafted players. Even the first round is about a 50% success rate. If you consider UDFAs who make it, drafted players who ultimately don't pan out, early round draftees that are outperformed by later round draftees, later round draftees who outperform earlier round draftees, etc., NFL drafters are wrong much more than they are right.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same is true for drafted players. Even the first round is about a 50% success rate. If you consider UDFAs who make it, drafted players who ultimately don't pan out, early round draftees that are outperformed by later round draftees, later round draftees who outperform earlier round draftees, etc., NFL drafters are wrong much more than they are right.
I'd like to see the data on that.
The % of undrafted players who make it cant be anywhere near drafted players

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Here's some interesting stats for you....

25% of all players in NFL are undrafted.

481 undrafted players on NFL rosters to 400 players picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds combined.

If you ask me scouting departments know jack shit.

Ramification

I'd like to see the data on that.
The % of undrafted players who make it cant be anywhere near drafted players

I didn't say they were equal. I said that in both cases, drafters are wrong more than they are right. My real point is that I believe they were all wrong about Spruce, regardless of the odds of that being true.

Ramification

481 undrafted players on NFL rosters to 400 players picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds combined.

If you ask me scouting departments know jack crap.

I agree somewhat. I actually think it has a lot to do with a scout's own job preservation, rather than not knowing what they are looking at. A scout keeps his job if he sticks to the strict application of accepted (but IMO highly flawed) evaluation criteria, broadly known as measurables. If the scout and drafters do that, under the current evaluation culture, they can't be blamed if a player ultimately doesn't pan out. If, however, they take a risk outside of that box and the draftee doesn't pan out, they are closer to losing a job.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say they were equal. I said that in both cases, drafters are wrong more than they are right. My real point is that I believe they were all wrong about Spruce, regardless of the odds of that being true.
Well, I think drafters are "right" more than wrong because the majority of drafted players make the team who drafted them.
As for Spruce, we'll see.
Seems like Pharoh Cooper fell off the map, so it sure appears Spruce has a path for the time being.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If you ask me scouting departments know jack crap.
Where did you get that data from?
Everything I could find indicated that 1st to 3rd rounders comprise about 60% of the rosters

Ramification

Well, I think drafters are "right" more than wrong because the majority of drafted players make the team who drafted them.
As for Spruce, we'll see.
Seems like Pharoh Cooper fell off the map, so it sure appears Spruce has a path for the time being.

If that's the only criteria, you would be right, but I would disagree that it is. Ryan Leaf made the team, Tom Brady was only drafted in the 6th round, Danny Amendola wasn't drafted, Jamarcus Russell was, Dan Marino was drafted well behind Todd Blackledge...you get the idea.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I think this more about the $$$ and the new CBA. It basically forces teams to let go of effective but expensive players that are older...for cost effective replacements like udfa's.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the only criteria, you would be right, but I would disagree that it is. Ryan Leaf made the team, Tom Brady was only drafted in the 6th round, Danny Amendola wasn't drafted, Jamarcus Russell was, Dan Marino was drafted well behind Todd Blackledge...you get the idea.
I do get the idea, not sure where you are going with this.
A large number of kickers and punters were undrafted, but they count as players too.

A55VA6

Legend
Love every single thing they're doing right now. I'm trusting the process, that's for sure.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I just want receivers who can catch a ball and get separation, I don't care how they get it. They may not outrun DB's, but they will get the ball down the field and get first downs.

Beggers cant be choosers...

Sometimes i cant believe how good our WR corps was during the GSOT...Bruce, Holt, Az, and Proehl...

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apples and Oranges, bro. As much as we like to kick Fisher, he started with absolutely nothing compared to McVay. It's been a while, but most of those guys cut by Fisher that first year, never played in the NFL again. Britt will play again as will GRob...

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our offensive cast offs work out somewhere else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That may be lip service, but I sure hope it is true. Would much rather that be the case then to have absolutely no answer at RT going into camp. Fingers crossed for JB!!!

IMO the Rams have a good amount of RT prospects going into camp.Even before the Jamon Brown discovery @ RT the Rams had a decent young ascending RT last season in Andrew Donnal who had 4 straight starts on the right side at the conclusion of the 2016 season. Donnal was available & played in all 4 pre season games & all 16 regular season games until his hip took him out in wk 17 after the first half. Those few stats was not matched by any other Ram OL'er who is here this season. His hip surgery earlier this year may have slowed him down early in OTA's but would imagine he is catching up fast now.

Jamon Brown started 3 games @ LG for Saffold. That's when GRob was benched & 1 when Saffold missed a game due to broken hand. In all Brown started 5 games & played in a total of 11 games. Rams also have reserve OT Darrell Williams back after being IR'd in 2016 & 2nd yr Pace Murphy.