This Ram coaching staff makes quick no nonsense personnel decisions, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They have made a lot of moves I wanted to see. Britt and Quick gone. Kendricks cut. And GRob quickly demoted due to his pedictable struggles.

I am about as happy as I could be with this regime. No tolerance for idiot, selfish players who cannot execute and that my friends can give a boost to a roster.

No more ranting about why a guy is starting when he sucks or questioning what sense it makes to demote him for only one game. McVay just gets it. Thank F.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of me (albeit a small part) thinks Spruce takes significant snaps at outside WR from Tavon by the time we get into the 2nd half of the season...

Assuming Spruce can stay healthy...
We're going to put Spruce and his blazing 4.7 40 speed outside?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Based on one of the comments made in Tavon's press conference, he knows his leash is short. When he was talking about supporting who ever is on the field. I feel that if he doesn't perform up to the play of the other wr's, where ever they were drafted if at all, he will also be traded before the season starts. I'm personally giving him the benefit of doubt based on his wrist. Maybe that's why so many passes went off his hands. If that continues to happen in tc, he's a gonner. When you think that maybe Spruce or Cooper may be number casualties cuts, he doesn't have room to be inconsistent.

Alternatively... Maybe that's why Tavon decided to time his Surgery the way he did... to side step and not show McVay the good and BADDDDDD of Tavon.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Now Spruce is going to be an outside receiver??

This is absurd. COME ON PEOPLE, WAKE UP!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't get me wrong, I like everything McVay is doing at the moment. But really, most coaching staffs do this. Remember the great purge of most of our roster after Fisher came in? The true test will be in two or three years if, for example, Gerald Everett has turned out to be a bust will McVay cut or trade him as easily as Grob? Probably a bad example as a second round pick compared to #2 overall but you get my point. It's always refreshing to see a new coach cut ties with all the ball and chains the old staff seemed to have cuffed to their legs due to capital investments spent on them.

But, hopefully we're so good and our drafts now and going forward are so awesome McVay will never have to make the decision of cutting a first round pick before their first contact is up. :)
Apples and Oranges, bro. As much as we like to kick Fisher, he started with absolutely nothing compared to McVay. It's been a while, but most of those guys cut by Fisher that first year, never played in the NFL again. Britt will play again as will GRob...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Our new head coach has said countless times, we can't have enough play makers. That is exactly what Tevon is. This is a guess, but I don't think any Ram player has scored more TDs than Tevon since he has been on the team. With this staff you don't think they will get more out of him. My guess is he will be on the field for 70% of the offensive plays. They will establish his game and he will become a huge distraction to the defense. Just saying.

I see what your sayin. I dont think it happens but i hope it does brother.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
We're going to put Spruce and his blazing 4.7 40 speed outside?

Not all about speed my Brother...here's some stuff PFF had on Spruce...

Spent 809 of his 912 snaps at outside wide receiver, but did have success on 95 snaps from the slot, so has some versatility.

Uses his body well to shield defenders from the ball. This helped him catch 84 percent of the passes thrown his way on hitch routes this past season.

Smart route-runner who creates space for himself with clean cuts, helping him catch 22 passes on in- or out- routes in 2015

Pro style comparison:
Anquan Boldin. Let’s not get confused here, Spruce is unlikely to walk into the NFL and have as impressive of a rookie campaign as Boldin did. There are similarities, though, and the former Pro-Bowl wide receiver should be looked at as a potential ceiling for Spruce. He didn’t have the speed to burn deep, but knew how to use his body and was often open without actually being open.

Btw, Spruce had a faster 40 time than Jerry Rice

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Interesting how he is cleaning house before the pads are on, before preseason games are played. We know McVay gets a lot of input from his coaches, as well as others around the NFL. Did they fail an interview process, were they not receptive to coaching? Can he tell from OTAs who's a me not we player? He sure says nice things about the departed, which I doubt is being said so nicely in the coaches meetings. If he's sharp enough to know a player's potential on this team this early then that's a good thing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting how he is cleaning house before the pads are on, before preseason games are played.

Every move has been non-fits for his roster and the team he wants to have. Britt and Quick are sloppy route runners who have always been more athletes than technicians. Kendricks was a drive killer with bad hands and focus who was not anywhere near worth what he was being paid and not a fit for this offense. GRob is way too inconsistent in protections, another drive killer who will give you penalties and turnstile sacks at the worst moments.

Tavon needs to be looking at this and realizing right now what it's going to take for him to be an impact player in this offense. He has to run crisp routes, no more rounding things off and freelancing. He has to be dependable and make catches that hit him in the hands. This is going to be a passing offense that runs against favorable looks. It's not going to be "let's force the ball to Tavon somehow." I really hope he takes that to heart and improves where he needs to, because we could really use a breakout season from him.

But if not, then he's looking at a next year cut. And with this regime IF they think he's not going to work out for them they might even move him before the season based on him being a non-fit. Would not surprise me in the least.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I think having Bones on the staff has helped expidite the removal of any problem children in the organization.
The new coaches have game film, but having a holdover coach with much more insight shouldn't be overlooked.
Excellent point. Bones (as special teams & interim head coach) has been around everyone. He can separate those who can actually ball from those who just stuck around because they were Fish's guys.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 1988-1989 Cowboys remind me of our Rams. With the right coaching and getting the most out of players, things can turn around quick!

“Dog, I was crying for real,” Irvin said of his rookie season in 1988. “I’m not talking about pouting, I’m talking about tears falling out of my eyes crying because I wasn’t used to it.”

The team went 3-13 that season. And things got even worse the next year.

“And then we drafted Troy Aikman, and I just thought, ‘OK now I got who I need. I got it, I got a quarterback.’ And I cried 15 games the next year. We were 1-15 that year. I was like, ‘wow this is incredible.’ I went from losing maybe two games my whole college career to losing every game I played in the pros. So it was a hard, hard turn.”

It was only after the Cowboys drafted a running back from Irvin’s college rival Florida that his crying days were over.

“And then we got Emmitt, and you could see that we were getting the nucleus of something and continuing to add pieces and making works. And it worked out well.”

TexasRam

Legend
Mcvay is smart enough to know what changes have to be made.

Mcvay is Classy enough not to degenerate a player he has to cut.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Interesting how he is cleaning house before the pads are on, before preseason games are played. We know McVay gets a lot of input from his coaches, as well as others around the NFL. Did they fail an interview process, were they not receptive to coaching? Can he tell from OTAs who's a me not we player? He sure says nice things about the departed, which I doubt is being said so nicely in the coaches meetings. If he's sharp enough to know a player's potential on this team this early then that's a good thing.
"

There was that quote a few weeks back where McVay praised Jamon for his "willingness to be coached." To me that says a lot and to me implies may Greg wasn't. Another one of the quote i like from McVay is:

'We're going to be a team that's built on character'

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a bi that stood out for me was the

" JB promotion to starting RT is more about what he was doing rather than the stuff that greg wasnt doing "

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
a bi that stood out for me was the

" JB promotion to starting RT is more about what he was doing rather than the stuff that greg wasnt doing "
That may be lip service, but I sure hope it is true. Would much rather that be the case then to have absolutely no answer at RT going into camp. Fingers crossed for JB!!!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That may be lip service, but I sure hope it is true. Would much rather that be the case then to have absolutely no answer at RT going into camp. Fingers crossed for JB!!!
it was more the greg not doing stuff part (i know its ambiguous but it sticks out to me like a little stab at grob for not working hard enough )

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
it was more the greg not doing stuff part (i know its ambiguous but it sticks out to me like a little stab at grob for not working hard enough )
I took it the other way as in, Greg was doing good things as well, but Jamon was playing better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Doesn't every new coaching staff make such decisions? Not all players fit all systems and some don't fit well enough to offset their cap number. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not all about speed my Brother...here's some stuff PFF had on Spruce...

Spent 809 of his 912 snaps at outside wide receiver, but did have success on 95 snaps from the slot, so has some versatility.

Uses his body well to shield defenders from the ball. This helped him catch 84 percent of the passes thrown his way on hitch routes this past season.

Smart route-runner who creates space for himself with clean cuts, helping him catch 22 passes on in- or out- routes in 2015

Pro style comparison:
Anquan Boldin. Let’s not get confused here, Spruce is unlikely to walk into the NFL and have as impressive of a rookie campaign as Boldin did. There are similarities, though, and the former Pro-Bowl wide receiver should be looked at as a potential ceiling for Spruce. He didn’t have the speed to burn deep, but knew how to use his body and was often open without actually being open.

Btw, Spruce had a faster 40 time than Jerry Rice
Replace "Spruce" with Kupp and you might have something

Jerry Rice was a 1st round pick despite his slow 40, Boldin a 2nd rounder. Spruce wasn't drafted. Perspective.....