This Ram coaching staff makes quick no nonsense personnel decisions, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Think about it.

Britt and Quick allowed to walk without even a pretense of a contract extension negotiation.

Barnes and Kendricks released as soon as the asst coaches were hired.

GRob didn't make it out of mini-camp before being embarrassingly traded.

That's 5 former starters from the '16 season, y'all!

What to conclude from the above?

Well, I think that it reveals excellent player evaluation skills for openers. They immediately realized that those first 4 players were never gonna be good enough. GRob was given a bit more time via OTA's and meetings, but he apparently used up his very short leash.

AND they were able and willing to make the personnel decisions quickly in order to be able to move on. That can be the hard part and where some coaching staffs suffer from the dithering.

Know what? I think it sends a powerful message to any and all underachieving players. I'm looking at you, Tavon. I think you've got just one year to impress McVay.

I said some time ago that we shouldn't be fooled by McVay's enthusiasm in pressers. He's a helluva lot more than just a cheerleader. He wants to win and is willing to make the tough decisions as necessary to achieve that goal. The above mentioned former Rams are proof enough of that.

I've gotta say. I admire and respect the hell out of that philosophy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I doubt Britt wasn't re-signed due to performance. More likely attitude/fit...or some other reason.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
McVay is lighting a fire under this team's ass. He and his staff are operating with a sense of urgency that Fisher and Co NEVER had...they were completely fine with mediocore play being the measuring stick...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There will be more surprises. McVay is going to keep his best 53 regardless of who drafted you, what round you were drafted or how much you make. I think that includes Austin. He thinks he can win NOW.

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't get me wrong, I like everything McVay is doing at the moment. But really, most coaching staffs do this. Remember the great purge of most of our roster after Fisher came in? The true test will be in two or three years if, for example, Gerald Everett has turned out to be a bust will McVay cut or trade him as easily as Grob? Probably a bad example as a second round pick compared to #2 overall but you get my point. It's always refreshing to see a new coach cut ties with all the ball and chains the old staff seemed to have cuffed to their legs due to capital investments spent on them.

But, hopefully we're so good and our drafts now and going forward are so awesome McVay will never have to make the decision of cutting a first round pick before their first contact is up. :)

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Based on one of the comments made in Tavon's press conference, he knows his leash is short. When he was talking about supporting who ever is on the field. I feel that if he doesn't perform up to the play of the other wr's, where ever they were drafted if at all, he will also be traded before the season starts. I'm personally giving him the benefit of doubt based on his wrist. Maybe that's why so many passes went off his hands. If that continues to happen in tc, he's a gonner. When you think that maybe Spruce or Cooper may be number casualties cuts, he doesn't have room to be inconsistent.

jap

Legend
Andrew will need to start mentoring a new future replacement for his LT job.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Think about it.

Britt and Quick allowed to walk without even a pretense of a contract extension negotiation.

Well, I think that it reveals excellent player evaluation skills for openers. They immediately realized that those first 4 players were never gonna be good enough. GRob was given a bit more time via OTA's and meetings, but he apparently used up his very short leash.

AND they were able and willing to make the personnel decisions quickly in order to be able to move on. That can be the hard part and where some coaching staffs suffer from the dithering.

Know what? I think it sends a powerful message to any and all underachieving players. I'm looking at you, Tavon. I think you've got just one year to impress McVay.

I said some time ago that we shouldn't be fooled by McVay's enthusiasm in pressers. He's a helluva lot more than just a cheerleader. He wants to win and is willing to make the tough decisions as necessary to achieve that goal. The above mentioned former Rams are proof enough of that.

I have to tell you.....right or wrong....it takes balls to come in and make those decision right out of the gate.
I think it's smart too. Even if they are wrong, they made a decision instead of vacillating and wasting time.

I respect the heck out of that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't get me wrong, I like everything McVay is doing at the moment. But really, most coaching staffs do this. Remember the great purge of most of our roster after Fisher came in? The true test will be in two or three years if, for example, Gerald Everett has turned out to be a bust will McVay cut or trade him as easily as Grob? Probably a bad example as a second round pick compared to #2 overall but you get my point. It's always refreshing to see a new coach cut ties with all the ball and chains the old staff seemed to have cuffed to their legs due to capital investments spent on them.

But, hopefully we're so good and our drafts now and going forward are so awesome McVay will never have to make the decision of cutting a first round pick before their first contact is up. :)

I hope McVay is more like Belichick and less like Fisher. The cheater does not get a sentimental attachment to players, not named Tom Brady.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Think about it.

Add moving Lamarcus Joyner to Safety and flopping Havenstein and Brown.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Considering that the Rams Offense last year was, well, offensive! It's no surprise that 5 former offensive players are gone! Although I was hoping Britt would stay around for another year anyway!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Andrew will need to start mentoring a new future replacement for his LT job.
Perfect man for the job!
I'd wager heavily one of our first picks next year is his successor.
I will sure agree that with a true professional OL'er like Andrew Whitworth here for a few seasons would be a great time for Snead & McVay to get a few young talented LT draft prospects in here ASAP so they can learn from an all pro! Having Goff protected remains a top priority.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
There will be more surprises. McVay is going to keep his best 53 regardless of who drafted you, what round you were drafted or how much you make. I think that includes Austin. He thinks he can win NOW.

Part of me (albeit a small part) thinks Spruce takes significant snaps at outside WR from Tavon by the time we get into the 2nd half of the season...

Assuming Spruce can stay healthy...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think having Bones on the staff has helped expidite the removal of any problem children in the organization.
The new coaches have game film, but having a holdover coach with much more insight shouldn't be overlooked.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Part of me (albeit a small part) thinks Spruce takes significant snaps at outside WR from Tavon by the time we get into the 2nd half of the season...

Assuming Spruce can stay healthy...
Our new head coach has said countless times, we can't have enough play makers. That is exactly what Tevon is. This is a guess, but I don't think any Ram player has scored more TDs than Tevon since he has been on the team. With this staff you don't think they will get more out of him. My guess is he will be on the field for 70% of the offensive plays. They will establish his game and he will become a huge distraction to the defense. Just saying.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I doubt Britt wasn't re-signed due to performance. More likely attitude/fit...or some other reason.
Britt managed to pull his first 1000 yd season out of that mess.

He also made a few circus catches and I (personally) was very impressed by his effort.

He's not a bum and I think he's been getting better every year.

Just too expensive for this rebuilding team to consider.

Draft picks are way cheaper and could have just as much production. JMO

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
McGlinchey for Notre Dame is very nice as well.
Id be fine with him as well. Williams seems like a top 5 pick anyway(to me at least) so we might have to take the 2nd-4th best tackle. Some good prospects coming out next year.