This Place is a Fan Lifeline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without this place, I would be contemplating fan sepeku tonight.

It's just a constant beat down in the sports media whenever the Rams are mentioned....Risky, desperate, foolish, are just some of the adjectives used to describe the Ram's move for Watkins today. Keyshawn Johnson did like the move today, which was about the only positive response from the media I saw. I have read/heard that the Ram's made this desperate move as though they are contending this year and that they really are several starters away from that (WTF?). I literally have no where to go to hear anything balanced about the team besides here and the Rams site.

Please donate to ROD if you can.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont think the Rams are as far from winning as most media folks do. If the O can be middle of the pack, I expect better than that, with WP running the talented D this team is very capable of winning now. The O doesnt even have to score a ton of points, just get some 1st downs and give the D a breather. If the Rams could win games by a score of 9-6 or 9-3 with the JF O and spending close 40 mins on the field, just imagine what they could do with a real O and 17-23 points/game.

I know that those of us that witnessed TC are not NFL scouts, but what we all saw and what the media reported didnt quite jive and knowing how ridiculous a lot of the media statements are about any team. I think its fair to say that at the very least the Rams are somewhere in the middle of where we fans think they are and where the media thinks they are. Probably closer to where we think they are.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whenever I hear guys talking about a teams (any team) potential record, they run through the list and come to the Ram's game and it's always counted as a win for the other guy. Even with our record the last couple of years against the Cards and the Hawks, we are always counted as a loss against them too. There is no thought about it, just mark it down as a loss. What really drives me crazy is when they talk about the last 10 years as ANY indication what this different Rams team will do this year. It is so illogical, but an easy crutch for nonthinking SOBs. We so much have to win this year to shut them down, the tukks!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a prove it league so I understand the reluctance to back the Rams as winners I mean let's be honest we haven't had a winning season for what 10-12 years ?

What I don't get is the blatant negativity with all the "potential" improvements we have made which for me starts on the coaching staff

we have a bright young enthusiastic HC with a proven offense instead of a stuck in the 80's stubborn run the ball let the d win the game mindset HC

The best DC out there (or at least top 5) instead of sweary mcswearyson

We have gotten rid of players that dragged this team down like quick Britt and grob and brought in the best LT available in FA and added upgrades at C and WR

Drafted smart with solid dependable players who will make an impact this year

look do I think we go 16-0 of course not shot I'd be happy with 8-8 or 9-7

If the pats GB Giants cowboys panthers Atlanta had made the trade for Watkins the media would be having a party in their pants and everyone would be invited

All these beat writers and sport reporters will continue to shit on the Rams and if we tank (which we won't ) they'll proudly bleat I told you so ... and not a peep if we make the playoffs And that's ok ... because if we do the die hard Rams fans (by that I mean us ) will make enough noise to shut them all up

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a prove it league so I understand the reluctance to back the Rams as winners I mean let's be honest we haven't had a winning season for what 10-12 years ?
But UKRam, this is a false argument increasingly illogical the farther back you go (10-12 years). There is a little bit more relevance from the last year, but even that is suspect. So many different, important variables to consider on a probability.
1. Different Head Coach, offensive scheme
2. Different, upgrades at many positions in the offense.
3. Different Defensive scheme, with a proven DC.
4. STILL the best Special Teams in the NFL

It's a fallacy to say that simply because they have lost in the past, they will continue to do so today and in the future. When the SOB's are wrong, they will act all shocked and say NOBODY saw the Rams winning record, coming.

WvuIN02

Starter
I dont think the Rams will be contending this year, but that doesnt mean I think they will be bad. Its just unlikely when pretty much everyone is going to be learning new schemes in year 1 on top of Watkins getting to the show very late. New offense, new defense, but improved team. Next year is the year I think the Rams do some damage, I think they need to learn how to be a team and gel with the new staff this year. I understand the media's apprehension with Watkins too, great talent, but he HAS been hurt a lot. Let's hope that last surgery fixed everything, because it will be a steal if he is healthy for good this time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think the Rams will be contending this year, but that doesnt mean I think they will be bad. Its just unlikely when pretty much everyone is going to be learning new schemes in year 1 on top of Watkins getting to the show very late. New offense, new defense, but improved team. Next year is the year I think the Rams do some damage, I think they need to learn how to be a team and gel with the new staff this year. I understand the media's apprehension with Watkins too, great talent, but he HAS been hurt a lot. Let's hope that last surgery fixed everything, because it will be a steal if he is healthy for good this time.
I agree mostly, but they act as though the Ram's are an absolute joke, which they are not.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But UKRam, this is a false argument increasingly illogical the farther back you go (10-12 years). There is a little bit more relevance from the last year, but even that is suspect. So many different, important variables to consider on a probability.
1. Different Head Coach, offensive scheme
2. Different, upgrades at many positions in the offense.
3. Different Defensive scheme, with a proven DC.
4. STILL the best Special Teams in the NFL

It's a fallacy to say that simply because they have lost in the past, they will continue to do so today and in the future. When the SOB's are wrong, they will act all shocked and say NOBODY saw the Rams winning record, coming.
Which is exactly what I went on to reiterate further on my post ... we have made vast improvements across the the team ... and to tackle your point the same goes for the browns and no one ever backs them to go to the Super Bowl ... their history is why they are called the factory of sadness

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is exactly what I went on to reiterate further on my post ... we have made vast improvements across the the team ... and to tackle your point the same goes for the browns and no one ever backs them to go to the Super Bowl ... their history is why they are called the factory of sadness
I was actually speaking about the haters who only say because of their past, they will continually suck.....I should have been more specific about that

As for the Browns,that's only logical:rockon:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree mostly, but they act as though the Ram's are an absolute joke, which they are not.

I think The Rams compete..

Tough schedule from a far , but not actual ?? Europe again. --Reality is just beating INDY

This team reminds me of 1999 season.

New all pro LT an all pro type center.

Gurley going into his 3rd year after all rookie. Now The Rams make a trade for Sammy Watkins with Woods & Robey.
Connor Barwin. Then add a rookie TE.

I see a lot of The same ,just different pieces. When The Rams one the Super Bowl they had a true advantage of schedule. That has changed.

My point now is with Les Snead making this move you have to look at the value.
--Marshall was traded for a 2nd rd pick.

My opinion is Sammy Watkins besides his injury is a game changer. Talk about what Les & Falcons did to get Julio Jones. I think he can have that kind of a impact.

Goff has been working with Hoise who worked with Matt Ryan.
Rolland's vs Everett

Copper Kupp. ?? Tory Holt
Az vs Austin great example of how a 3rd WR opens things up.

Ryan Shakier vs Tony Horne?

--Some good examples .

Robert Quinn & Tru coming off injuries. Going into Buffalo before Keenum INT The Rams were on there way to being 4-1.
---Aaron Donald is locked in to being a Ram for 4 more years.
The Rams can front load Sammy's contract like The Rams did with Marshall locking in a contract. Fall back is he missed all of camp.

Ogletree vs LindonnFletcher going into just his 2nd year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tough schedule from a far , but not actual ?? Europe again. --Reality is just beating INDY

Gurley going into his 3rd year after all rookie. Now The Rams make a trade for Sammy Watkins with Woods & Robey.

I see a lot of The same ,just different pieces. When The Rams one the Super Bowl they had a true advantage of schedule. That has changed.

My opinion is Sammy Watkins besides his injury is a game changer. Talk about what Les & Falcons did to get Julio Jones. I think he can have that kind of a impact.

Rolland's vs Everett

--Some good examples .

Robert Quinn & Tru coming off injuries. Going into Buffalo before Keenum INT The Rams were on there way to being 4-1.
The Rams can front load Sammy's contract like The Rams did with Marshall locking in a contract. Fall back is he missed all of camp.

There are a lot of similarities, but the big difference in 1999 was the addition of three HOFers starting (Warner, Pace, and Faulk). I am optimistic about Goff, but am not ready to think he can be as good as Kurt (hope I'm wrong!)...Gurley can be damn good, but as of yet, no Faulk..Whittworth? Dude is REALLY good, but probably not Pace good..I know you didn't make these comparisons, but these three huge additions would trump what happened this year....

BUT HEY, Ya Never Know!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Rolland's vs Everett

--Some good examples .

I was just about to post the question, What was the Rams record in 1998? 4-12, the year before? 5-11 Nine consecutive seasons without going to the post-season yet they win the Super Bowl the next season. So let the so called experts and pundits squawk all they want. This year's team may do incredible things and the only people that see that it is possible just may be us here at ROD. That's fine with me. Makes the party that much sweeter!!!!!:rockon::cheers::rockon:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
There are a lot of similarities, but the big difference in 1999 was the addition of three HOFers starting (Warner, Pace, and Faulk). I am optimistic about Goff, but am not ready to think he can be as good as Kurt (hope I'm wrong!)...Gurley can be damn good, but as of yet, no Faulk..Whittworth? Dude is REALLY good, but probably not Pace good..I know you didn't make these comparisons, but these three huge additions would trump what happened this year....

BUT HEY, Ya Never Know!

Warner was worse than golf before 99 Gurley is no Faulk but could be used the same way and put up some good numbers. Whit worth is very much as good as pace. Schedule to start the season could help us get on a roll that makes a lot of difference. You just never know what will happen we have made some great moves this year to improve the team can't wait to watch

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner was worse than golf before 99 Gurley is no Faulk but could be used the same way and put up some good numbers. Whit worth is very much as good as pace. Schedule to start the season could help us get on a roll that makes a lot of difference. You just never know what will happen we have made some great moves this year to improve the team can't wait to watch
I disagree with you about Kurt....In 1998 he ran the scout team, and Dickie V. said the things he noticed was:
1. The ball didn't hit the ground
2. Either our defense wasn't as good as he thought or Kurt was better than he realized.

This was 1998, so I think he could have had another year of greatness if they had known.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

BUT HEY, Ya Never Know!

Well who knew about Warner ? Trent Green was suppose to be driving the ship,as he said in his speech.
I believe Bruuuce Will he in there. Also isn't Dick Vermeil in the Hall ? Tory Holt is right there. London Fletcher should be a Redskins HOFer

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
After i saw the news here on ROD i made the mistake of switching on the TV to see what was being said and i landed on two guys discussing alexi yashin from the Ottawa Senators.... on the screen they had it written "Sammy Watkins to the Rams" so i thought i'd wait until they got done talking hockey to hear about the trade - but that was the Rams talk, alexi freakin yashin? They were comparing his attitude to Watkins

I instantly turned off the tv, jumped back on ROD and enjoyed the rest of my day with true Ram fans

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I dont think the Rams are as far from winning as most media folks do. If the O can be middle of the pack, I expect better than that, with WP running the talented D this team is very capable of winning now. The O doesnt even have to score a ton of points, just get some 1st downs and give the D a breather. If the Rams could win games by a score of 9-6 or 9-3 with the JF O and spending close 40 mins on the field, just imagine what they could do with a real O and 17-23 points/game.

I know that those of us that witnessed TC are not NFL scouts, but what we all saw and what the media reported didnt quite jive and knowing how ridiculous a lot of the media statements are about any team. I think its fair to say that at the very least the Rams are somewhere in the middle of where we fans think they are and where the media thinks they are. Probably closer to where we think they are.

The Rams defense is at worst top 10 in NFL. The Rams special teams is arguably in the top 5. The offense....not so much. If the Rams can avoid injuries and the offense can become middle of the road....playoffs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

BUT HEY, Ya Never Know!

I don't think we will ever see another Faulk LoyalRam, it's unlikely anyway. He was just unusually special in so many ways and could do so many things. I like Gurley and I hope he has a HOF career but he will never be Faulk.

I disagree with you about Kurt....In 1998 he ran the scout team, and Dickie V. said the things he noticed was:
1. The ball didn't hit the ground
2. Either our defense wasn't as good as he thought or Kurt was better than he realized.

In one of the many features and specials done about Warner one of the players (can't recall who it was I think Proehl) said that they weren't worried to much because they had seen enough of Warner that they were confident he would be fine. Obviously nobody knew he was about to vaporize NFL defenses but they were confident in him.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

WP has made the playoffs in his 1st season as DC with less talented teams. Everyone seems to think the Rams are not as talented as any of those teams that his D turned into winners, just because they are the Rams.

I dont think the Rams will just make the playoffs, I think they will make some noise and win at least 1 playoff game. Nobody will want to face the Rams in the playoffs.