This is Tavon's year....new system, and he needs it!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
dude really can't catch...I'd hate to see another season with a majority of the targets going thru him....Glorified running back. I suspect this is his last season in horns. It's why his contract was structured in such a way...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For the most part I agree with you here. However, I do think Tavon has become a better route runner this last season. He had career highs in receptions and yards. I remember reading some stats after a game and Austin had 7 receptions in one game, so he can get open. And the offense he was playing in is still atrocious as ever. You're right when you say he is what he is at this point. That said, I believe in a propper offense Tavon is a 600 to 800 yard WR as is. So a really nice 3rd option ideally.

a highly paid third option

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He puts in time in the off-season, whether its working out with Stedman Bailey, or even Randy Moss. I don't think Tavon was expected to run good routes in college, and I doubt Fisher expected it either, and the only good WR coach Tavon had in the Pro's was Groh. I think Fisher let Tavon "do his thing" because it can work, kind of like his punt returns, his returns can be horrendous or they can be big gains. Not everyone is a leader, it doesn't come natural for every player. Also now that he is the senior WR we might see a different Tavon. Sometimes coaches will get rid of players if they want a certain player to ascend into a leadership role.

Hope you're right.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Tavon has not been a deep threat since Sam got injured because he didnt have a QB with the ability to throw deep, until Goff. I would expect to see TA used more in the deep passing game, after all he can get deep quicker than any other WR currently on the roster.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone in football who thinks a smaller player, especially a REALLY SMALLER player is going to be a game changer will be sadly mistaken. They might make a few plays a game, but they won't cut it in the long run. That's why you don't see very many 5'9" 175lb guys playing in the NFL.

I hope McVay has some ideas on how to maximize Austin, but I fear his days as a Ram are numbered. His small size is a huge drawback, Poor routes and unable to catch the ball another. That contract they gave him was a waste of money.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think the coaching has been the biggest issue for Tavon . Look at what amendola did once he went to the pats and he is nowhere the athlete Tavon is. Finaly now we have a real offensive coordinator and he will put Tavon in the right routes and get him open deep more often.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Anyone in football who thinks a smaller player, especially a REALLY SMALLER player is going to be a game changer will be sadly mistaken. They might make a few plays a game, but they won't cut it in the long run. That's why you don't see very many 5'9" 175lb guys playing in the NFL. .

Recently retired Steve Smith Sr. is only 5' 9" and he was a game changer. So unfortunately you are incorrect.
Anyone who expects a diminutive receiver to be a game changer is more likely to be disappointed than find a Steve Smith Sr. He's an exception, not the rule. But be careful about making blanket statements.

5' 9" 185 Wes Welker
5' 9" 195 Steve Smith Sr.
5' 7" 154 Mark McMillan (Might Mousey Played 8 Years)
5' 7" 207 Maurice Jones-Drew
5' 6" 190 Darren Sproles
5' 8" 200 Barry Sanders
5' 7" 190 Dave Meggett

5' 10" 198 Julian Edelman (Honorable Mention)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anyone in football who thinks a smaller player, especially a REALLY SMALLER player is going to be a game changer will be sadly mistaken. They might make a few plays a game, but they won't cut it in the long run. That's why you don't see very many 5'9" 175lb guys playing in the NFL.

I hope McVay has some ideas on how to maximize Austin, but I fear his days as a Ram are numbered. His small size is a huge drawback, Poor routes and unable to catch the ball another. That contract they gave him was a waste of money.

I have to disagree.
Small players do great things all the time.
We have a DT/DE who is "too small".
He has done ok.
If almost every TD Tavon has scored had been upheld instead of called back for often irrellevant penalties, his value as the best punt returner since Devin Hester ALONE would change the whole discussion about TA.

Tavon is a weapon. His ability to play as a WR/RB/PR is a huge advantage and he requires defenses to plan for him.
No, he isnt a "T.O." type "big WR".
We overdrafted one of those, too. He sucked.
This league misses on just as many guys who are over valued due to their size as it does on guys who are "too small".

It seems to me that you can either play or you can't. You can be big, you can be fast and you can be quick. As long as you can be 2 of the 3, you have a chance.

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I really Like Andrew Hawkins 5' 7" 175 just released, he's 31. Would be Tavon's backup. built the same

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Least efficient WR in the history of the target stat.It's hard to ignore that level of inefficiency. Even with the dearth of talent on that list Tavon still has the 2nd lowest yards per reception.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Least efficient WR in the history of the target stat.It's hard to ignore that level of inefficiency. Even with the dearth of talent on that list Tavon still has the 2nd lowest yards per reception.

That's what happens when you have to run so many 2 yard outs with a db and lber bearing down on you or catch so many balls behind the line of scrimmage and be confronted by 3 defenders every single time. Let's see how he goes with a real oc in a real offense before we start giving him his last rights.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

Do you think he intentionally ran shallow routes or was that by design?

Efficiency to me is Receptions/Targets. Can't blame a wide receiver for running the route he was supposed to run.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
That's what happens when you have to run so many 2 yard outs with a db and lber bearing down on you or catch so many balls behind the line of scrimmage and be confronted by 3 defenders every single time. Let's see how he goes with a real oc in a real offense before we start giving him his last rights.

Do you think he intentionally ran shallow routes or was that by design?

Efficiency to me is Receptions/Targets. Can't blame a wide receiver for running the route he was supposed to run.

Do you guys really think his full route tree through 3 different offensive coordinators was 2 yard outs and everything shallow? Just watching the game you can see that is not the only route he ran. Jared Goff's first Career TD was not a shallow out. Catching his short Targets and not catching his deep targets is reflected in his lack of efficiency. If you catch all the quick outs (which he didn't) and don't catch your deep targets you will not have a high efficiency score. If his game was based soley on short throws and screens like you guys claim his efficiency should be higher because he would have a higher reception rate catching easier passes. Additionally,he was third in drops this year which also reflects poorly on his efficiency. With the dearth of talent and weapons on this offense the past 3 years, you don't think they would have used Tavon more downfield if that was something he was capable of doing more frequently?

I think everyone will admit this offensive coaching staff was not good, but at some point you also have to hold the players accountable when you finish 32nd in offense 2 years in a row and have a historically bad scoring season. Can't blame everything on the coaches even though they deserve their fair share of the blame. Do I expect improvements out of Tavon? sure. However I definitely don't see him filling the DeSean Jackson deep threat role some people see him filling.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you guys really think his full route tree through 3 different offensive coordinators was 2 yard outs and everything shallow? Just watching the game you can see that is not the only route he ran. Jared Goff's first Career TD was not a shallow out. Catching his short Targets and not catching his deep targets is reflected in his lack of efficiency. If you catch all the quick outs (which he didn't) and don't catch your deep targets you will not have a high efficiency score. If his game was based soley on short throws and screens like you guys claim his efficiency should be higher because he would have a higher reception rate catching easier passes. Additionally,he was third in drops this year which also reflects poorly on his efficiency. With the dearth of talent and weapons on this offense the past 3 years, you don't think they would have used Tavon more downfield if that was something he was capable of doing more frequently?

I think everyone will admit this offensive coaching staff was not good, but at some point you also have to hold the players accountable when you finish 32nd in offense 2 years in a row and have a historically bad scoring season. Can't blame everything on the coaches even though they deserve their fair share of the blame. Do I expect improvements out of Tavon? sure. However I definitely don't see him filling the DeSean Jackson deep threat role some people see him filling.

i said so many of those routes, not all of them were those routes. and defenders were pouncing on those routes and challenging for the ball. i just didn't understand the playcalling.

we really don't know what we have with our offensive players with the shit they've had to work with in the fisher era. all will be revealed this season.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Not sure that's true tbh. If he was a hard worker he'd be a good route runner by now and would be a good team leader at the very least among the wideouts. But he has never stepped up to do that. This WR room didn't have anyone leading it, and if he was leading them it's even worse.

I made excuses for Tavon for a long time and I'm past that now personally. I want to see it on the field. He has the staff now to set him up for success, this is a definite prove it year for him.

No more excuses. This is a production biz. His contract gives him ONE more season of guaranteed money. He's now the senior WR on the team. It's his room now. The ball is in his court.

I'm just glad that he has a new coaching staff to work with.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Tavon is the least of my worries in this offense. Honestly, Goff and Gurley are more of a concern as it stands right now. I don't care how much $ Tavon got, at least he produces on the field....and at multiple positions. Just because he is not a "#1" WR doesn't mean he is not a valuable weapon. He is. He always HAS been. I expect him to be even more dangerous in McVay's scheme.

I don't see how you can say he's the last of your worries. At least Gurley had produced at a high level. You can say "maybe he'll produce like that again." And Goff was a rookie, so you can say, "maybe he'll improve like most rookies do." Austin's a veteran and had consistently been kind of meh at the actual positions that he plays. He's a meh RB who makes a good 2/3 option. He's a meh WR, even as a 3 option.

Now that's just my uneducated opinion and I honestly don't get to watch as many games as I'd like. But when I do watch games, and most of his highlights, I don't see anything that makes me think he's amazing. Or above average. What I love about him is that he can save us a roster spot. A competent number 3 at WR and RB is a great thing to have. It's just not someone who's going to be a meaningful part of an offense in any individual role.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Just some more numbers to consider to help people quantify how inefficient Tavon was.

DYAR defined by football outsiders: DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage.

Tavon had a league worst score of -220. Jeremy Kurley the second worst WR in the league according to this metric was 100 points better with a score of -126. To put that awful number into context Julio lead the league with a 458 DYAR, Kenny Britt posted a solid 167, Woods had a decent 110 DYAR, and even stone hands Quick wasn't in Tavon's terrible stratosphere at -28.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't see how you can say he's the last of your worries. At least Gurley had produced at a high level. You can say "maybe he'll produce like that again." And Goff was a rookie, so you can say, "maybe he'll improve like most rookies do." Austin's a veteran and had consistently been kind of meh at the actual positions that he plays. He's a meh RB who makes a good 2/3 option. He's a meh WR, even as a 3 option.

Now that's just my uneducated opinion and I honestly don't get to watch as many games as I'd like. But when I do watch games, and most of his highlights, I don't see anything that makes me think he's amazing. Or above average. What I love about him is that he can save us a roster spot. A competent number 3 at WR and RB is a great thing to have. It's just not someone who's going to be a meaningful part of an offense in any individual role.
Well, he is definitely not my primary concern on offense, lets just say that. Even the "stat" guys would be hard pressed to point out Tavon as a weak link when you factor in all of his touches and production. I never said he was amazing, but he is absolutely a weapon and someone that DC's for other teams lose sleep over. I can guarantee you that. Gurley had, what...4-5 games two years ago where he performed at a high level? Before we point out and blame the OL for all of Gurleys struggles, let us also remember what QBs have been slinging TA the rock and also how that same OL's struggles would affect the long ball passing game. Also, Tavon as a "meh" RB? He averages 7.7 YPC over his career. It is not his fault they do not give him the ball out of the backfield enough. TA has been giving this team more since the day he arrived, IMO. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
. Also, Tavon as a "meh" RB? He averages 7.7 YPC over his career. It is not his fault they do not give him the ball out of the backfield enough. TA has been giving this team more since the day he arrived, IMO. Agree to disagree.

Sorry. What I meant by meh RB was that I don't think he could be used as a number 1 back, and I don't think he could be used as a number 2 in a time share. I think if you brought him in for significantly more touches he would lose effectiveness.

As for everything else, I can see where you're coming from.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tavon has a special skill set not many can match. But that skill set is not being a true receiver. He's not the guy you can line up, run a nice route and make a nice catch. He's a gimmick guy. You can do a few different things with him. But was he worth trading up to number 8 in the draft? Is he worth the contract he got? I honestly don't see it.