This is some BS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sofa King

UDFA
Hello, Bolts fan here. As a Charger backer, I have to agree that the calls yesterday were downright embarrassing. Rams fans definitely have a legitimate gripe.

The interesting pattern I've noticed over many years is that there is at least one game (sometimes two) per year where a NON 'media darling' team gets an egregious, jaw dropping hose job from the refs - I.e. like unbelievably bad, WTF type calls that seem to occur at critical junctures, particularly when your team is mounting a strong charge or clutch comeback. You'll sometimes notice a series of calls that almost make it obvious that the refs are determined to preserve a pre-arranged outcome. The Chargers had their ref-job game earlier this year in Denver vs the league's anointed ambassador, Peyton Manning. Last year, it was in DC (prior to RG3 & co self destructing). Year before, Drew Brees record setting night in New Orleans.

I'm also not blinded enough by homerism to ignore the one or two instances per year that inexplicably tilt a game in our favor (just like yesterday). I guess you could forget it all & just chalk it up to the idea that 'it all balances out in the end'. But being a supporter of fair play, none of this sits very well with me. Now I don't pay close attention to Rams games, other than cursory glances given by ESPN updates, but I imagine that if y'all jog your memory, you might notice a similar pattern. Heck, I can't imagine Tom Brady's bogus 1st ring vs the Greatest Show on Turf brings out warm & fuzzy feelings among your faithful. And btw, I previously theorized one or two 'ref job' games per year because it seems that any more than that would elicit a much stronger response from a increasingly suspicious audience, inviting unwanted extra scrutiny. Keep it to just one game per year & you've got some manageable expectations for plausible deniability - especially since you have a built-in group of 'debunkers' in the form of opposing fans.

Anyways, just thought I'd seek the opinion of other fans. Yes, I'm well aware that what I'm suggesting will draw some charges of being a tinfoil wearing hat conspiracy kook. Fair enough. But I do know that I'm a rational, educated person who's capable of deducing from some fairly overwhelming visual evidence I've been witness to over the years.

I apologize in advance for muddying the waters or ruffling any feathers.

'DJ'

moklerman

Warner-phile
Which hold? The punt return hold at the end?
Yeah, it didn't take a score off the board and taking the extra time off the clock to get back to the red zone actually worked in their favor. The interception obviously killed it but if they'd worked it right, it would have been a perfect way to seal the game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I had to listen to some of the game on Sirus, Bolts home broadcast. All they did was bash Fisher for having the refs in his pocket, Fisher's teams never get bad calls, He gets favoritism ETC. cause he's on the committee.
I shat you not.
I dropped my cocktail when I heard it.

Bad' Bad reffing is everywhere in every game. The officials are graded every week. but nothing changes.
And as they add more rules it will get worse.

yea I think the next rule they invent should be if you are going to add another rule you have to get rid of one of the existing ones.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hello, Bolts fan here. As a Charger backer, I have to agree that the calls yesterday were downright embarrassing. Rams fans definitely have a legitimate gripe.

The interesting pattern I've noticed over many years is that there is at least one game (sometimes two) per year where a NON 'media darling' team gets an egregious, jaw dropping hose job from the refs - I.e. like unbelievably bad, WTF type calls that seem to occur at critical junctures, particularly when your team is mounting a strong charge or clutch comeback. You'll sometimes notice a series of calls that almost make it obvious that the refs are determined to preserve a pre-arranged outcome. The Chargers had their ref-job game earlier this year in Denver vs the league's anointed ambassador, Peyton Manning. Last year, it was in DC (prior to RG3 & co self destructing). Year before, Drew Brees record setting night in New Orleans.

I'm also not blinded enough by homerism to ignore the one or two instances per year that inexplicably tilt a game in our favor (just like yesterday). I guess you could forget it all & just chalk it up to the idea that 'it all balances out in the end'. But being a supporter of fair play, none of this sits very well with me. Now I don't pay close attention to Rams games, other than cursory glances given by ESPN updates, but I imagine that if y'all jog your memory, you might notice a similar pattern. Heck, I can't imagine Tom Brady's bogus 1st ring vs the Greatest Show on Turf brings out warm & fuzzy feelings among your faithful. And btw, I previously theorized one or two 'ref job' games per year because it seems that any more than that would elicit a much stronger response from a increasingly suspicious audience, inviting unwanted extra scrutiny. Keep it to just one game per year & you've got some manageable expectations for plausible deniability - especially since you have a built-in group of 'debunkers' in the form of opposing fans.

Anyways, just thought I'd seek the opinion of other fans. Yes, I'm well aware that what I'm suggesting will draw some charges of being a tinfoil wearing hat conspiracy kook. Fair enough. But I do know that I'm a rational, educated person who's capable of deducing from some fairly overwhelming visual evidence I've been witness to over the years.

'DJ'
Thanks DJ. Always good to have other perspectives. Hope you come back around from time to time.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If the Rams make a big play, it's up to the refs to make up a penalty. Haven't you guys been watching this season?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 4218

The flag is already on the ground in the last screenshot at the very top under the ref's feet. Whatever was called happened when the ball was in the air.
The replay shows McFadden wasn't even in the play until after the punt was fielded and TA had turned upfield with the ball. I'm not sure what that is but I'll have to watch the replay again tomorrow to see if a flag was thrown at that point. I know SD was using that color on towels and gloves so...? If that is a flag, there is no way he could have been throwing it against McFadden and no one else saw an illegal block either.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the Rams make a big play, it's up to the refs to make up a penalty. Haven't you guys been watching this season?
I know this is partially facetious but I kept waiting for the refs to signal Rams ball on the muffed punt. It looked like they just didn't want to and from what I saw, they never did until they announced the result of their meeting. How's that for conspiracy thinking? o_O

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If this is the punt return at in the 4th quarter, the penalty was incorrectly reported as being on McFadden (#51). It was actually committed by Mo Alexander (#31) up near the 45 yard line, which is where the ball was correctly spotted after all the dust cleared. And here is going to be a not too popular statement. IT WAS A PENALTY.

If this crew was lax at anything, it was the correctly reporting the guilty player. But as frustrating as it is/was to watch, the penalties were penalties, and all the frustration seems to be misguided.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about "over officiating", in that this crew seems to call things that have no bearing on the play, or in the case of the "hands to the face" penalty that brought back the TD pass to Britt being too flagrant to over look, then that's a different conversation.

It's the selective and inconsistent enforcement of these types of calls that makes it an issue. But that is league wide, not just some conspiracy against the Rams, like many seem to assume being the case.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
yea I think the next rule they invent should be if you are going to add another rule you have to get rid of one of the existing ones.
A lot of it's safety. I'm good with that.
But it's the ticky tack stuff that kills me. The crap that doesn't effect the play.
But it's over regulated.
Just let them play like they did back in the day.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I know this is partially facetious but I kept waiting for the refs to signal Rams ball on the muffed punt. It looked like they just didn't want to and from what I saw, they never did until they announced the result of their meeting. How's that for conspiracy thinking? o_O
I have to agree.
Whenever the Rams make a great play I don't celebrate, I look for flags.
Taking the fun out of the game for me.

Ramathon

'DJ'

Chalk up one more vote for you being brave enough to venture into the fray here.

I do agree with your assessment that every team gets at least one 'ref job' each year. I'm surprised how many here seemed to have already forgotten the Rams' last game against SanFran. I'd be willing to bet Whiners fans will be stewing about that one for a long time.

And I tend to roll my eyes at the notion that 'the fix is in' that's been all too common in these parts of late. Anything is possible. Heck, it's possible I might hit the lottery next week and will buy the Rams from Silent Stan (And they WILL stay in STL if that happens. :) ) But the probabilities of either me winning the lottery or of a 'fix' being in against the Rams are pretty darn slim.

There is a LOT of bad officiating all around the league these days. And IMO, a LOT of that is due to player safety and the lawsuits being brought against the league for prior injuries. Goodell doesn't do anything on his own. You can bet any 'mandates' to err on the side of caution for player safety are being dictated to him by the owners. And I think they are all scared silly about the $$ they might have to fork over if these lawsuits don't go their way. AND they're taking action now to, hopefully, ward off the idea in the future that they didn't do everything they could possibly do to prevent injuries. In short, this all boils down to the old 'follow the money' notion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to agree.
Whenever the Rams make a great play I don't celebrate, I look for flags.
Taking the fun out of the game for me.
Exactly. I'm actually surprised when there isn't a flag. Is this what the NFL is after?

Wouldn't EVERYONE rather the refs miss a few penalties than call back every big play on either ticky tack calls or penalties that didn't exist? All I'm after is for the refs to err on the side of getting out of the way.

And I'm not buying the player safety angle AT ALL. If the NFL was that serious about it, they could do all kinds of things to be more successful at penalizing players and teams for endangering other players like a quick review on bang bang plays or allowing challenges - yes - even on missed calls that are blatant. They can always fine and/or suspend players/teams after the game. Personally, I think that if they can review every turn-over or score which is often unnecessary, there is no reason for not being able to review game changing calls to see if there is indisputable evidence that the penalty never happened, or did for that matter. We're not talking questionable calls here and the coaches would not be challenging the refs for the hell of it. They have to be pretty sure or it costs them a time out. Hell - tack on an extra five or a loss of down. But something seriously needs to be done.

Also, those two hands to the face penalties are technically correct. But they were not risking player safety and were about the quickest flags I've ever seen for that violation. If a player is grabbing a face mask or sticking his hand into it, definitely. But an errant hand being pulled away immediately? That call is bad for the game - period.

Alan

Legend
Sofa King thinking conspiracy:
Stuff about the refs.
I don't believe in conspiracy theories but I agree with you about the atrocious refereeing. :eek: I think it only seems like those calls happen at crucial times because we tend to quickly forget about calls that don't affect the final outcome of the game or that are made in games with lesser teams. I mean really, who knows what kind of horrible calls teams like the Browns get because nobody watches them. :LOL:

I do think that the refs give some players the benefit of the doubt though. Human nature. At least it's not as bad in the NFL as it is in the NBA. Although that isn't very consoling when you JUST GO ROBBED OF A VICTORY! :mad: :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Now, if you want to have a discussion about "over officiating", in that this crew seems to call things that have no bearing on the play, or in the case of the "hands to the face" penalty that brought back the TD pass to Britt being too flagrant to over look, then that's a different conversation.
That is my biggest beef in all of this. It is just getting pathetic.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's the selective and inconsistent enforcement of these types of calls that makes it an issue. But that is league wide, not just some conspiracy against the Rams, like many seem to assume being the case
Yes, the "selective and inconsistent enforcement" is the issue. And Yes, it's league wide.

One can argue it's random human error, or one can argue it's deliberate. Given the way the NFL has been run over the past 50+ years, I think it's more than obvious what the answer to that question is.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Error on the side of caution for player safety?

Chris Borland, Tre Mason

If they cared, they'd have at least fined Borland.

I agree that you follow the money, but I think there are a lot of sources involved.

If they were smart they'd start covering their trails and cleaning it up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Error on the side of caution for player safety?

Chris Borland, Tre Mason

If they cared, they'd have at least fined Borland.

I agree that you follow the money, but I think there are a lot of sources involved.

If they were smart they'd start covering their trails and cleaning it up.

Exactly a case in point as to what I'm talking about. EVERYONE saw it. You know the league saw it. So what kind of message does this send?

To Borland - go ahead and do it until they go after you for it.

To the fans and attorneys it is trying to show how much it cares about player safety - Meh. Didn't get called on the field so why should we make anything of it afterwards?

To anyone seriously paying attention - We don't really give a shit about player safety. It's only lip service after all.

Alan

Legend
I'm reading a bunch of posters complaining about the "over officiating" but for the last 2 months I've been reading even more about the officials not calling enough penalties against the other team for holding Quinn and Donald. And our WRs. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: