This is how you bolster a weak unit (allegedly)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]312664880840851456[/tweet]

[tweet]312663990327201793[/tweet]

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Are they talking about the same Brandon Gibson? Because the only other football player named Brandon Gibson that I know was not that good. At least not good enough to believe that you have completely revamped your white receiver position. Good luck in Miami

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
Are they talking about the same Brandon Gibson? Because the only other football player named Brandon Gibson that I know was not that good. At least not good enough to believe that you have completely revamped your white receiver position. Good luck in Miami
Well, Gibson's perceived failings notwithstanding, they brought in Wallace, Keller, resigned Hartline, and brought in a 4th target in Gibson. That's attacking a weakness with tenacity right there. They also have Davone Bess who's a pretty good weapon all-around. Consider also that they had Armon Binns and Rishard Matthews, a seventh-round pick who played at the end of the season, as their two primary threats. They had to go all-in and they did.

nittany ram

Rookie
brokeu91 said:

I think Gibson will do fine as their 3rd or 4th WR. He just isn't a 1 or 2, which is what the Rams were forced to use him as.

iced

X said:
brokeu91 said:
Well, Gibson's perceived failings notwithstanding, they brought in Wallace, Keller, resigned Hartline, and brought in a 4th target in Gibson. That's attacking a weakness with tenacity right there. They also have Davone Bess who's a pretty good weapon all-around. Consider also that they had Armon Binns and Rishard Matthews, a seventh-round pick who played at the end of the season, as their two primary threats. They had to go all-in and they did.

meh, i'd rather call it attacking with scraps (gibson, keller)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
brokeu91 said:

Yep. can't fault the phins for what they have done in FA. They had money to burn and they're lighting it up. Definitely a stout receiving core.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Next year the Rams will apparently have a lot of money under the cap. I think it'll be interesting to see how they attack next years free agency.

The more I think about this team, the more I realize that it is being built for 2014/15 more than 2013

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree. When Fisher/Snead came in they talked about building talent over a 3 year period. So, the draft is key more than FA. The way it is going now we are rocking toward a 5 or 6 win season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You have to respect the 'phins in FA though - receiving corps were a weakness for them last year and they sure have revamped that department. I would have loved Wallace in the horns and Keller's potential is as good as Cook, Gibson is a solid number 3 and heartline already has a rapport going with tannehill. You can't knock them at all - I'm sure we'd be loving it if we signed Wallace and Keller and kept Gibson as a 3/4...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Word is, they're considering releasing Bess. If that comes to fruition I'd be definitely be interested in acquiring his services on the cheap

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
Word is, they're considering releasing Bess. If that comes to fruition I'd be definitely be interested in acquiring his services on the cheap
Absolutely. Multi-faceted weapon.

He doesn't score a ton of TD's, but then again neither did Amendola. They're both very similar in that they're shifty guys who can get open in short-intermediate zones, and they both can bolster the return game. I've been a fan of Davone's for a few years now.

Speeps

Starter
Free Agent wide receivers tend to fail. Dont be surprised if this blows up in the Dolphins face. Mike Wallace is overpaid and he only can do one thing: run. He has a lot of drops and poor route running. We know Brandon Gibson and his limitations. Hartline is good, so is Keller. Decent unit, but the expectations are too high.

jap

Legend
Speeps said:
Free Agent wide receivers tend to fail. Dont be surprised if this blows up in the Dolphins face. Mike Wallace is overpaid and he only can do one thing: run. He has a lot of drops and poor route running. We know Brandon Gibson and his limitations. Hartline is good, so is Keller. Decent unit, but the expectations are too high.

. . . and overpaid!

Memphis Ram

Legend
nittany ram said:
brokeu91 said:

I think Gibson will do fine as their 3rd or 4th WR. He just isn't a 1 or 2, which is what the Rams were forced to use him as.

Agreed. He'll never be good as they guy. But, I think he'd make a fine 3rd or 4th option.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
nittany ram said:
brokeu91 said:

Agreed. He'll never be good as they guy. But, I think he'd make a fine 3rd or 4th option.
+1 and +1

Was kinda hoping, at some point, Gibson would be forced into that role here by way of better talent pushing him down the depth chart. That's how we'd know we were truly improving the receiving corps. Now we're just left with a shit-load of question marks on offense. Again.