This Hot Take is Only Here to Annoy You.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I'm just linking a couple of tweets here and the subsequent chain is worth reading (to gain context, not for quality) as well as the original tweet that sparked this one.

View: https://twitter.com/MattHammondShow/status/830231616576421888

Not just one "less than" sign, but THREE of them! That makes my comment more impactful for sure.

View: https://twitter.com/MattHammondShow/status/830232158270869508

"Aaron Donald is almost entirely hype guys. Hate to break it to you. I mean, I GUESS he's an OK player and all, but he couldn't carry a bag of JJ's used syringes."

Now, I'm not saying everyone has to agree with the opposite of this. I understand if someone wants to place Watt above Donald (though I might not entirely agree), but the reasoning here is silly.

View: https://twitter.com/MattHammondShow/status/830233227944161281

"Which he can't play because he's not Watt" I know he's not going for this effect (I hope), but it sounds as if he is saying that JJ Watt is the only human capable of playing 3-4 end. How can one head fit into two asses?

He then goes on to say this.

View: https://twitter.com/MattHammondShow/status/830234213219700736

View: https://twitter.com/MattHammondShow/status/830234693471715329

Well which is it pal? Is Wade gonna "make it work" or is this a colossal failure of a move? If Donald is so incapable of playing the end spot in a 3-4, how can one make that work? It seems to be an inevitable catastrophe according to you.

I assume (as I have too with just these few tweets) "make it work" means "he might work alright in some capacity, but he won't be no JJ" or "Wade will find some way to cover up his deficiencies". Fucking hell.

It's just a moment where his interests have a conflict. You see, he's a part of a CBS Houston affiliate, so he has to pimp his guy as much as possible and push the opposing player down for some reason. In doing this, he unintentionally takes a dig at former Texans DC and current Rams DC, Wade Phillips. Can't do that because he probably still likes Wade. Either that, or he just has to recognize Wade and his acclaim. So he has to back track his statement, instantly contradicting himself, and looks like an absolute moron in the process.

And then there is this comment about how JJ "transcends" scheme while everyone else can barley handle playing without training wheels on. JJ is playing 8th dimensional chess while every other guy in the league can barley handle candy land. Some things in this universe have always been. Light, gravity, energy, and JJ Watt.

If you want to make the argument that JJ is the better player, that's fine, but to have your argument be "Donald can't play 3-4 end and JJ could play all 11 positions at once if he wanted" is awful, especially when you have no way of proving your first point since you have never seen Donald play that role. You are making a projection and passing it off as fact. Not to mention, with Wade's dynamic scheme, who knows where he will play the majority of his snaps.

If you're argument against Donald playing in a 3-4 is that Donald doesn't have the size, then how does Mike Daniels succeed in Green Bay? If you argue that Daniels doesn't play 5 tech (lined up against the OT) often, then your issue with Donald being in the 3-4 is stupid because now 3-4 VS. 4-3 doesn't matter.

Fact is, Donald played 3-Tech in the 4-3 and that won't change so says the coaches and so says the evolution of the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/defensive-prototypes-5-technique/

"In reality, because the league plays nickel on around 60% of defensive snaps in today’s NFL, every 3-4 defensive end is going to spend more time as a 3-tech than he is playing 4i, 4 or 5 because of the nature of pass-rushing sub-packages."

So in short, this move to a 3-4 is not going to hurt Donald in anyway. The only evidence that Donald can't play in a 3-4 or outside of the 3 tech spot is that he hasn't done it yet, and just because it hasn't been attempted in a large capacity yet, doesn't mean he is incapable. I will concede JJ can play various positions well, but versatility (while being helpful when it comes to making an impact) doesn't instantly make JJ 10 tiers above Donald when the impact both players make is comparable.

Even if Donald can't play outside the tackle and is a 3 tech only, does it really matter that much if he is still completely demolishing guys on the inside and disrupting offenses just as much as Watt is capable of doing despite all this "versatility"?

Matt, Stop it. You're apparently going to debate this with some other dude on your radio show, but don't, because you are wrong.*

*I do realize the possible irony of me passing my opinion of as if it were fact.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Betting against Aaron Donald in a defense run by Wade Phillips is idiotic. It will get you attention now, but you're not gonna get lucky by going against the grain on that one.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Aaron Donald would probably be a Pro Bowl 3-4 OLB. I don't care where he's lined up, he's going to destroy game plans regardless. There's nothing he CAN'T do. This just shows bias on that guy's part, or lack of knowledge on Donald. Probably never even watched him play.

I do think it's funny that he (and Booger McFarland, who you think would know better being a former NFL DT) don't realize that he's going to be playing the exact same position he is now. Most 3-4 defenses have a 3 technique now but Wade's specifically calls for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm cool with the dude saying Watt is better. That's defensible (and probably true). But then he makes himself look like a total buffoon. Then again, I'm not sure why anyone would expect a Houston media member to be objective here.

Regardless, before this thread, I had no idea who the guy was, so it's no skin off my back. I hadn't paid attention to this loon before this, and I don't plan to pay attention to him after this.

Truth is that most members of the media don't know a lot about football. They think talking over everyone else makes them sound intelligent and informed. I guess it does to some people, but those people who know what they're talking about know the journalist is spouting bullshit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've yet to see a Ram game where AD didn't dominate his man on a majority of the snaps. He's as good as anyone DT I've seen, and I'm old enough to remember Page, Lily, Greene, Olsen...
Aaron Donald can play any DL position and destroy / embarrass whomever is in front of him. Those who deny this are uninformed idiots.

And who the freak is Matt Hammond?
HEY! Slow yur ROLL!

View: http://i.imgur.com/9KsCnht.gif

As for Donald in todays NFL, there is NOTHING that he can't do. Those twitter-heads need an @ss whipping!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Donald doesn't only pwn NFL players....But he pwns NFL officials too...Unlike any other he makes it look good. Throwing a flag back at the refs is str8 savage. 1 and only. Glad we got Donald.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish I could have seen those older guys play to compare. Lmao nice gif by the way!
Now you can! Merlin was a man among boys...
SrzvcRA.gif

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
At this rate Watt will be out of the league retired in a couple of years. He is a beast but he is killing his body

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I mean, I GUESS he's an OK player and all, but he couldn't carry a bag of JJ's used syringes."
What an odd thing to say. I don't want Donald carrying around anyone's used syringes, that's bio-hazardous waste. Is this guy hinting at JJ doping?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Watt and Donald are the best defensive players in the NFL. Watt is better in a 3-4 and I'm ok with that. Donald is still the next best and 2 or 3 years from now Donald may be the best.

If Watt was moving to a 4-3 then the post might read

Donald>>>>>>Watt

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's kind of like arguing over your favorite sexual position. There is no winner or loser in the discussion. :sneaky:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Chuck Norris said that the only man on the planet he's afraid of, is Aaron Donald
So there's that

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow. Possibly the most Homer/misinformed thing ever.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
That's the thing about these "sports writers" nowadays: bloggers first, sports guys second. I call it the Skip Bayless effect.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well, I suppose we'll see who is better after this season. Personally, Donald on the edge in a 3-4, vs the interior of a 4-3, makes me think he's gonna straight dominate!