This Guy Is Believable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

It is like the "back shoulder" throw. Seems like any pass that is thrown short is now being called a back shoulder throw.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It is like the "back shoulder" throw. Seems like any pass that is thrown short is now being called a back shoulder throw.
Wouldn't you love to see Bruce against Richard Sherman?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
ANY DAY, more talent less talk, Ike would get Sherman thrown out of the game

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The throw Kurt made to Bruce for a TD in the Super Bowl was a case of throwing a guy open.

Yea. I'd say throwing a guy open is throwing to a covered player in a spot where he can adjust and make the grab. This is another example:

jjab360

Legend
I would take Patrick Peterson over Sherman
Nah, Phx, their coverage abilities aren't even that close, imo, and the numbers back that up.

As far as why that is, Sherman has the length advantage, is the more fluid athlete, and is a true student of the game compared to Peterson who it seems like tries to get by on pure athleticism at times. Sherman is a true shutdown CB whereas Peterson can be and has been beat more often than you'd probably think because he's such a Ram killer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, it's an overused term. There are actual back-shoulder throws and then there are just under-thrown balls that the WR adjusts to. You can usually tell because back-shoulder throws are typically timing based patterns.

As an aside, I hate the way the refs call pass interference when QBs under throw the football and WRs run into the DB. IMO, if the ball is under thrown, the DB should not be penalized for not being able to adjust in time. The QB should not be rewarded for making a bad throw.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yea, it's an overused term. There are actual back-shoulder throws and then there are just under-thrown balls that the WR adjusts to. You can usually tell because back-shoulder throws are typically timing based patterns.

As an aside, I hate the way the refs call pass interference when QBs under throw the football and WRs run into the DB. IMO, if the ball is under thrown, the DB should not be penalized for not being able to adjust in time. The QB should not be rewarded for making a bad throw.
Can't agree with you there if ONE CAN adjust because he's playing the ball, the other has to or he isn't........playing the ball ,it's pretty well axiomatic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't agree with you there if ONE CAN adjust because he's playing the ball, the other has to or he isn't........playing the ball ,it's pretty well axiomatic.

For me, penalties should be based on the defender stopping the offensive player or vice versa from making a good play. Not the offensive player benefiting from a bad one.

For example, DLs are allowed to grab and hold offensive lineman in ways OLs cannot grab DLs. Corners have a tougher job in defending, expecting them to be able to cover the WR and be able to adjust at the same rate he does is unfair to me. I don't believe QBs and WRs should be rewarded for a QB making a bad throw.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
DB HAS to play the ball on all plays ,playing the rec IS a "bad play" and is supposed to be flagged ,I understand you think the short throw is a "bad one" but the DB isn't supposed to be able to keep the rec from making a "good play" by making a "bad play".
You use the term "unfair " there and say " I don't believe QBs and WRs should be rewarded for a QB making a bad throw." but they aren't , the DB is being penalized for doing in one instance what he's NEVER supposed to be able to do.
No one said it was supposed to be easy and FWIW all the rules transfer advantage one way or another , it's not like any rule isn't going to be regarded by someone as unfair because advantage is transfered away from them,
you said :
"As an aside, I hate the way the refs call pass interference when QBs under throw the football and WRs run into the DB. "
They're only enforcing the rules.

Now if you'd said the rules needs to be changed some discussion of fairness might be had ,but until then it's really unfair if refs. take the rules into their own hands and don't enforce them to serve your or anyone's bias.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea. I'd say throwing a guy open is throwing to a covered player in a spot where he can adjust and make the grab. This is another example:

It can only be one thing. Having little conscience, you're throwing to a WR who is covered in hopes the WR is good enough to overcome coverage and adjust, as you say, and make play. Excellent WRs can do that. Name a good Rams WR who can do that. The WR has to beat coverage with size (vertical reach over shorter CB), speed (accelerates) or quickness (good move, runs precise pattern and gets to spot of throw).

Name an excellent Rams WR since Ike or Torry left.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It can only be one thing. Having little conscience, you're throwing to a WR who is covered in hopes the WR is good enough to overcome coverage and adjust, as you say, and make play. Excellent WRs can do that. Name a good Rams WR who can do that. The WR has to beat coverage with size (vertical reach over shorter CB), speed (accelerates) or quickness (good move, runs precise pattern and gets to spot of throw).

Name an excellent Rams WR since Ike or Torry left.

Lloyd is the only one that could do that. And he was inconsistent at it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I could watch that a thousand times and never get tired of it.