This defense has a chance to be special

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not counting my chickens by any means, and while week one isn't the end all be all, looking ahead at the schedule now that the Cowboys are behind us, not too many scary offenses:

@Eagles - gave up 8 sacks and have injuries
@Bills - Josh Allen looks improved, but a lot less talent than Dallas
Giants - looked awful
@FT - offense struggled
@Niners - offense struggled
Bears - Trubisky or Foles
@Dolphins - offense struggled

Now, we can easily lose any of these games (save maybe the Giants) because of travel and/or these teams have good defenses. But Dallas was a measuring stick for the secondary, run defense and pass rush and considering how talented Dallas is, they all did outstanding IMO. I'm PUMPED to see what they can do the rest of the year now.

fearsomefour

Legend
Some issues for sure....
Some stand to improve....tackling.
Some maybe not.....outside pass rush.
Time will tell.
A very young D overall though.
As the season progresses one would expect the DC to get more comfortable with his players and players more comfortable in his scheme.
Meaning, more blitzes or coverages can be dialed up because the fundamentals of the scheme will be ingrained.
Next two weeks will present some interesting challenges.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Dallas has a talented O so for us to give up only 17 points bodes well for us. Our weak link is definitely at LB so we will see how they do moving forward.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams need Big A and TLew back to help out and have a chance to be very good.

It's been a small sample size for the Rams after only one game where CB Ramsey got saved by a favorable penalty flag. He did a good job selling it.

We will see if the tackling gets better.
The pass rush was weak for the most part except AD. Dallas had their 3rd back OT playing for a good part of the game.
Early coverage was too loose.
Elliot ran up the middle fairly easily.
The Rams covered the edges better against the run but, not the pass.
McVay called a good ball control offense that helped the defense.

The Rams defense got better in the second half. I think Big A is needed to sure up the middle. TLew can help them pass rush off the edge. It's been mentioned that Staley and the defense can grow. Collingsworth mention Rams were hiding the coverage presnap. I didn't see much blitzing and Staley may need to dial some more up to help the pass rush. I hope the Rams defense keep growing and getting better. They have a young group that made big tackles later in the game. There is a lot of potential on defense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1600199763194.png

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

By most accounts, the Cowboys should be better this year than they were last year.

Last year they averaged over 400 yards and 6.5 yards per play.

Against us they had 380 yards on 5.5 yards per play.

I also don't think the time of possession is that big a deal, considering we ran 72 plays and they ran 69 - this could illustrate that our offense might not be as good as they looked in this game (Dallas D being on the field too long), but we're talking about our defense versus their offense. We held them to 3-12 on 3rd down and 5.8 yards per pass. And we pressured Dak constantly.

The only negative would be the run defense giving up 5 yards per carry, but Zeke is one of the best and overall I think we did pretty well against him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That image of AD behind the tree... Lmfao. :ROFLMAO:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I've always been a firm believer that for the most part you have to take everything in the first few games with a grain of salt. I'll wait till week 4/5 to draw any conclusions. That being said... to the OP, I sure hope you're correct, Sir!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Edge pass rush (or lack thereof) and ILB worries me. Polite made his rep count for sure. We need more pass rush production from Obo, Ebu, and Co. I'd like to see more Greg Gaines at NT to help shore up the run D.

I really really like the potential of the secondary. Fuller had some up and down moments but damn, was clutch when he needed to be.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Kiser needs to stop the college "big play" habits. On one of Zeke's TD's he launched himself towards Zeke & whiffed. Can't leave your feet in the NFL.
15 missed tackles is waaaay too many. Staley needs to bust out the Seahawks tackling video.
But overall yah I'm very encouraged by this D.... nice 2nd half adjustments, something we've been missing the last few years.
Getting OLB help will... help. TLew coming back in week 4 would be great, but I get a feeling about Polite.... kid has a nose for the QB. On passing downs, Polite, TLew, Floyd.... ya buddy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was reading a FB post and people were commenting that DeMarco Farr was critical of the defense after training camp and didn’t seem to be a believer.

I didn’t see the video that they were referring to. Has anyone else seen it?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Worth mentioning here.

We were mediocre last season and lost two of our best defenders so there is that.

On the other hand defense is a lot about scheme. Looking forward to seeing what Staley brings.