This day in Rams history

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner Taking Ribbing In Stride Rams Qb Says He's Ready To Play

[hil]Saturday, January 26, 2002[/hil]

ST. LOUIS - Kurt Warner sat patiently to the side of the podium and listened to Rams coach Mike Martz address the national media yesterday. Then he listened to running back Marshall Faulk answer the same questions. So, by the time his turn came to step to the stage, he knew what everyone wanted to hear.

"My ribs are fine. I'll be all right," Warner said immediately. "Any other questions?"

Actually, no.

Clearly, Warner's ribs were the most important issue facing the St. Louis Rams (15-2) heading into tomorrow's NFC Championship Game against the Philadelphia Eagles (13-5). The league MVP didn't practice Wednesday or Thursday because of the bruised ribs he sustained in the Rams' 45-17 win over the Green Bay Packers last Sunday. And he was limited again yesterday, too.

But neither Warner nor Martz seems to be very worried. And both insisted Warner is ready to play.

"This is something that obviously he plays with," Martz said. "It's something any player would play with at any position. I know this thing has made a lot of headlines, but really this is something we're not overly concerned about."

That's easy to say now, but the longer Warner sat out this week the more it looked as if the Rams might have to go with backup Jamie Martin. Warner completed 68.7% of his passes this season (375 for 546) for 4,830 yards - the second highest single-season total in NFL history. Martin, meanwhile, threw only three passes this season - completing them all - but none since Nov. 11.

Yesterday during a short practice at Rams Park, Warner participated in what Martz called "a red-zone passing skeleton." The coach said Warner completed the drill, "but he's just a little tender yet. It's just a bruise. There's no damage to the ribs or the cartilage."

Warner normally plays with a flak jacket underneath his jersey, but tomorrow afternoon at the soon-to-be-named Edward Jones Dome, he said he'll wear one with a little extra padding by his ribs. He hasn't tried it out yet, but he doesn't think it will be too bulky, and he doesn't expect to be bothered by the pain once he steps out on the field.

"Actually, when you get out there on the football field it's actually easier for me to deal with the pain," Warner said. "When you're thinking about nothing else but the pain, you're focused on it. When you're out there on the football field you're focused on everything else that's going on. For me, it helps to take the focus off that."

Playing through pain is nothing new for Warner, who made it through the win over the Packers despite bruised vocal chords which made it nearly impossible for him to call out signals during the week. He ended up playing with a new facemask on his helmet that extended down to protect his neck. His performance, though, was only average as he completed 18 of 30 passes for 216 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

But in that game, his performance was enough for the Rams, thanks to a defense that forced eight turnovers and picked off Packers quarterback Brett Favre six times. Knowing that's not likely to happen again tomorrow against Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, the Rams would prefer to have Warner in top form.

"Right now, it's basically just a pain-tolerance question," Warner said. "Obviously some things hurt more than others, but really it's a matter of me just dealing with the pain."

Hip, hip: Faulk is also ready to play, despite a nagging injury to his hip. "I don't know if I've been 100% since I've been in the NFL," the league's Offensive Player of the Year said. "But I'm good enough to go, I'll tell you that."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not that I recall. I know Holt had some injury issues (shoulder included) leading up to that Superbowl, but I don't remember Warner being hurt.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
images

Anonymous

steferfootball said:
Didn't he have rib issues in the 1999 Superbowl as well?

Not "issues." He was banged up. Bruised. 2002 was worse.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

did warner sustain that rib injury because martz had him as lead blocker on a run play in the final minutes of the game against the packers? a game the rams were leading by 30 points?

Anonymous

zn said:
steferfootball said:

Yes "issues" as in the Rams med/trainers recommended that Warner not play the second half of SB34.

steferfootball

Starter
squeaky wheel said:
zn said:
steferfootball said:

Yes "issues" as in the Rams med/trainers recommended that Warner not play the second half of SB34.
He said something about having trouble breathing. I'd consider that an issue.