Thirteen years ago the NFL added two divisions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
When the NFL added two divisions — and weakened the AFC West
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 22, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrhzda5ymfjndfkzwm1zjaxmdbjotywmwy4zgniyjvk-e1400787099176.jpeg
Getty Images

Thirteen years ago Thursday, NFL owners unanimously approved multiple changes to the league’s divisional structure, a move made logical with the addition of a 32nd team — the Houston Texans — on tap for 2002.

Among other changes, a South division was added to each conference, and teams were shuffled about to make eight four-team divisions. The Central divisions were rebranded as North divisions, with the southern most members of the old Central (Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Tennessee) all moving to the South pods.

Yes, younger football fans, there was a time when it was just, well, accepted that Tampa Bay played in a division with Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota and Green Bay. That was the deal. The Buccaneers wore orange, the Lions wore Honolulu blue, and the green carpet-like substance was AstroTurf.

Anyways, in all of the divisional realignment to begin this century, only one team — Seattle — changed conferences, moving from the AFC West to the NFC West.

To this point, the Seahawks’ move has strengthened the NFC West and weakened the AFC West. Since 2002, the Seahawks have made the postseason eight times, winning nine playoff games. In that same span, the AFC West’s members (Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego) have combined to win 10 postseason games. Moreover, the AFC West is the only division not to produce a Super Bowl winner since the 2002 realignment.

For those nostalgic about the NFL’s six-division days of yore, below is a listing of the divisions in 2001 — and the subsequent moves made to realign them.

AFC

Old divisions:

Eastern: New England, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Indianapolis, Buffalo.

Central: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Cincinnati.

Western: Oakland, Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, San Diego.

Realignment outcomes:

Indianapolis shifted from the AFC East to the AFC South.

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh became members of the AFC North.

Houston, upon beginning play in 2002, became a member of the AFC South.

Jacksonville shifted from the AFC Central to the AFC South.

Tennessee shifted from the AFC Central to the AFC South.

Seattle moved from the AFC West to the NFC West.

NFC

Old divisions:

Eastern: Philadelphia, Washington, N.Y. Giants, Arizona, Dallas.

Central: Chicago, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Detroit.

Western: St. Louis, San Francisco, New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina.

Realignment outcomes:

Arizona moved from the NFC East to the NFC West.

Tampa Bay moved from the NFC Central to the NFC South.

Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay and Minnesota formed the NFC North.

New Orleans, Carolina and Atlanta moved from the NFC West to the NFC South.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That was 13 years ago?!

Man I'm old....

I still remember despising the Falcons and the Saints like it was yesterday....

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
That was 13 years ago?!

Man I'm old....

I still remember despising the Falcons and the Saints like it was yesterday....
lol right? this makes me feel od as well....
Remember dominating them all in '99 and being happy with every minute of it... know if we play them I'm like meh...

FRO

Legend
Never understood Atlanta and New Orleans being western teams. I feel they should realign again, particularly the west division. It's should be St Louis, Kansas City, Arizona, and Denver in one of the west divisions, and San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, and Seattle in the other. That makes more sense geographically. Or they should get rid of divisions all together, expand 2 teams and just have teams play their own conference. With 34 teams you could play every team in your conference once. This would even out the whole strength of schedule and it would add even more to the Super Bowl.

Chances are none of you guys would like my ideas, but leave me alone I'm bored.

FRO

Legend
I think this makes sense;

nfl-divisions-realignment.png
That makes way too much sense. I know it will upset some people with disturbing rivalries, but it's pretty easy to develop new rivals. I mean the Seahawks didn't join our division until 02' and they became a rival. I used to hate the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers, but I really don't mind them now. (Outside the Panthers, they were total punks when we played them last year.)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I think the main concern was maintaining the big rivalries... since otherwise, the biggest thing that stands out would be that logically, the Rams should be in the NFC East and the Cowboys in the NFC West. (unless you switch more teams between conferences of course).

That kills Rams-49ers AND Cowboys-Redskins though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

No, no, no, no, no. The Steelers and Browns have to stay in the same division. Forever.

Also, the fuckin' Jags should play in the West, and never get home divisional games. Forever.

And lastly, the Cowboys should swap places with the Steelers and get no home division games for there seasons after Jerruh stops having surgery on his face.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dallas will never leave the NFC East and the AFC West will stay in tact because it's the old AFL. There is already an agreement that the Rams would be the team that could move divisions or conferences that they signed off on when they moved to St. Louis.

So when the NFL expands and adds two teams in Los Angeles bank on the St. Louis Rams no longer being in the NFC West, but I'm sure it willl be a few years before that. Right about the time the 49ers & Seahawks aren't any good.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
So when the NFL expands and adds two teams in Los Angeles bank on the St. Louis Rams no longer being in the NFC West, but I'm sure it willl be a few years before that.
Yes, but what about the LOS ANGELES Rams? ;)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

This seems like it is the most sensible move if they were going to make one. However, wouldn't that put us in the AFC since the rest of our division is from the AFC? I could see the Rams/Chiefs rivalry being one of the best in sports if that came to be. Look at the red division, not a single Super Bowl ring among those teams.