Third-year receiver rule: Low cost breakout candidates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Although this a Fantasy Football article, what is said is applied to his season.

Stedman Bailey, St. Louis Rams
2014 IN REVIEW

Following a four-game suspension to start the season, Stedman Bailey put himself on the fantasy radar with good production late in the season. He piled up 12 receptions for 189 yards and a score in Weeks 12 and 13 making himself a waiver-wire target for some desperate and deep-league owners in the fantasy playoff race, although he didn't produce much the rest of the year. Bailey finished the season with 30 catches for 435 yards and one offensive touchdown (you might also remember this trick punt return touchdown against the Seahawks).

ANALYSIS

As a third round pick out of West Virginia in 2013, Bailey was known for his soft hands and physical gameplay which he used to create separation. While his size (5-foot-10, 194 lbs.) prevents him from creating mismatches on the outside (although small receivers are trending up), he found much success in both man and zone coverage from the slot position.

In Week 12, Bailey repeatedly victimizedChargers' DB Marcus Gilchrist in one-on-one coverage, opening enough space for Shaun Hillto deliver seven completions for 89 yards and a touchdown. But perhaps Bailey's most impressive showcase of his talent came in Week 13 when he found a seam in a soft zone coverage and hauled in a sailing wobbler over his head with one hand which you can see in the embedded highlight.

When given the chance, the 24-year-old proved that he can routinely beat the average NFL defenders assigned to cover him. Since he's not a big No. 1 wideout, he won't be matched up against the most talented DBs opposing teams have to offer, leaving him some room to prosper.

2015 AND BEYOND

Bailey has dealt with receiving passes from a litany of mediocre signal-callers through his first two seasons. Now, the Rams are refreshing their offense under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and have brought in 2013 fantasy sensation quarterback Nick Folesto hurl the rock.

This year, Bailey will still be competing for targets with Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and possibly Brian Quick (I know, not the most potent stable of WRs). But in a depth chart published by Pro Football Focus, Bailey projects as the starting Z-receiver ahead of Quick, who is still rehabbing an injury. This should be viewed as a make-or-break opportunity for Bailey which has potential to lead to consistent success in the stat sheets as well as for fantasy owners.

2015 DRAFT VALUE

While Austin may be spawning more offseason hype, Bailey has a lot going for him. I like his chances as a breakout candidate over the speedy Austin, and since he's virtually going undrafted in standard leagues, you should be able to wait and scoop him up as a late-round flier at virtually no cost.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...ar-receiver-rule-low-cost-breakout-candidates

RamWoodie

Legend
You really look for WRs to show they GET IT in the third year....however, when it come to the Rams WRs...apart from Britt, Bailey and Givens...injury has been a problem.

I just want a WR corps that is going to work hard, not be selfish, and commit to one another's success. All of these guys have the talent.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Although this a Fantasy Football article, what is said is applied to his season.

Stedman Bailey, St. Louis Rams
2014 IN REVIEW

Following a four-game suspension to start the season, Stedman Bailey put himself on the fantasy radar with good production late in the season. He piled up 12 receptions for 189 yards and a score in Weeks 12 and 13 making himself a waiver-wire target for some desperate and deep-league owners in the fantasy playoff race, although he didn't produce much the rest of the year. Bailey finished the season with 30 catches for 435 yards and one offensive touchdown (you might also remember this trick punt return touchdown against the Seahawks).

ANALYSIS

As a third round pick out of West Virginia in 2013, Bailey was known for his soft hands and physical gameplay which he used to create separation. While his size (5-foot-10, 194 lbs.) prevents him from creating mismatches on the outside (although small receivers are trending up), he found much success in both man and zone coverage from the slot position.

In Week 12, Bailey repeatedly victimizedChargers' DB Marcus Gilchrist in one-on-one coverage, opening enough space for Shaun Hillto deliver seven completions for 89 yards and a touchdown. But perhaps Bailey's most impressive showcase of his talent came in Week 13 when he found a seam in a soft zone coverage and hauled in a sailing wobbler over his head with one hand which you can see in the embedded highlight.

When given the chance, the 24-year-old proved that he can routinely beat the average NFL defenders assigned to cover him. Since he's not a big No. 1 wideout, he won't be matched up against the most talented DBs opposing teams have to offer, leaving him some room to prosper.

2015 AND BEYOND

Bailey has dealt with receiving passes from a litany of mediocre signal-callers through his first two seasons. Now, the Rams are refreshing their offense under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and have brought in 2013 fantasy sensation quarterback Nick Folesto hurl the rock.

This year, Bailey will still be competing for targets with Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and possibly Brian Quick (I know, not the most potent stable of WRs). But in a depth chart published by Pro Football Focus, Bailey projects as the starting Z-receiver ahead of Quick, who is still rehabbing an injury. This should be viewed as a make-or-break opportunity for Bailey which has potential to lead to consistent success in the stat sheets as well as for fantasy owners.

2015 DRAFT VALUE

While Austin may be spawning more offseason hype, Bailey has a lot going for him. I like his chances as a breakout candidate over the speedy Austin, and since he's virtually going undrafted in standard leagues, you should be able to wait and scoop him up as a late-round flier at virtually no cost.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...ar-receiver-rule-low-cost-breakout-candidates
I really Like Bailey I picture him as our Strong #4 WR! Just Like in the GSOT We had Brue, Holt, Hakim and Proehl #4! Now we have Quick, Britt, Austin and Bailey!(y):D

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really Like Bailey I picture him as our Strong #4 WR! Just Like in the GSOT We had Brue, Holt, Hakim and Proehl #4! Now we have Quick, Britt, Austin and Bailey!(y):D

I dont see him as a number 4. He reminds me far too much of Antonio Brown. He needs way more snaps.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
thats the problem with our guys, we need to give them all more snaps, get the ball to them more often so that they make a difference

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Referencing a depth chart published by PFF is dangerous act for a writer seeking credibility IMO.

It seems to be cropping up more and more but I roll my eyes every time an article references PFF.

And prior to the PFF reference there was another eye roller "(I know, not the most potent stable of WRs)" You constantly see these types of jabs from the unknowing armchair football analyst about our Rams.

I really like the talent the Rams have assembled at WR and the coaching and FO must too because with the exception of adding Britt they they have basically stood pat with the youngsters they already have.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You really look for WRs to show they GET IT in the third year....however, when it come to the Rams WRs...apart from Britt, Bailey and Givens...injury has been a problem.

I just want a WR corps that is going to work hard, not be selfish, and commit to one another's success. All of these guys have the talent.

I don't consider Austin an injury risk. He's 28-4 for games played in the NFL, yes?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would totally stash Bailey as a WR 4 or 5 in FF. Dude does have soft hands and Foles has a very nice and accurate short and intermediate pass. He's the quintessential sleeper.

If Quick is healthy though, it's going to be hard to get Bailey on the field.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Bailey has the best hands on the team and may possible run the best routes in finding open spaces for the QB to throw the ball. If Quick is not healthy to start the season I can see Britt and Bailey starting on the outside with Tavon in the slot.

But Cigs will have to find a way to use Bailey this year guy is too good not to have the ball thrown his way. I can see him being our go to go on third down he gets open.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Trick play or not the punt return against the Seahawks was a great highlight from last year.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I see Austin as more of a breakout candidate. To me, a breakout candidate is someone with a ton of talent who struggled adjusting to the pro game for a year or two - then the lights come on. I see Bailey as a talented receiver who was more polished coming out and much closer to his ceiling than Austin has displayed so far.

Athos

Legend
Having a QB who can actually scan the field and see him, should help Bailey bunches. Davis never really saw Bailey or Austin.

Hill did, but never got the ball there consistently.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Having a QB who can actually scan the field and see him, should help Bailey bunches. Davis never really saw Bailey or Austin.

Hill did, but never got the ball there consistently.

Totally agree, Athos.

Having a Foles instead of Hill or Davis at QB can scarcely be overstated. It should be beyond obvious.

Hard to say which receivers will most benefit.

Britt
Quick
Tavon
Bailey
Cook
Kendricks
Maybe even Givens.

Gonna be night and day improvement across the board, if you ask me. No wonder these receivers are so happy to see Foles. Lol.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Totally agree, Athos.

Having a Foles instead of Hill or Davis at QB can scarcely be overstated. It should be beyond obvious.

Hard to say which receivers will most benefit.

Britt
Quick
Tavon
Bailey
Cook
Kendricks
Maybe even Givens.

Gonna be night and day improvement across the board, if you ask me. No wonder these receivers are so happy to see Foles. Lol.
I think Givens can return to his rookie form with Foles. Not having a QB who can throw the deep ball really affects the WR who is known for those types of passes. See Mike Wallace post big ben for an example. He should contribute.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Referencing a depth chart published by PFF is dangerous act for a writer seeking credibility IMO.

It seems to be cropping up more and more but I roll my eyes every time an article references PFF.

And prior to the PFF reference there was another eye roller "(I know, not the most potent stable of WRs)" You constantly see these types of jabs from the unknowing armchair football analyst about our Rams.

I really like the talent the Rams have assembled at WR and the coaching and FO must too because with the exception of adding Britt they they have basically stood pat with the youngsters they already have.

yep, these guys are stat watchers. look at the stats to build their perception about players. i doubt they have seen the rams play at all to actually see these players in action.

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't consider Austin an injury risk. He's 28-4 for games played in the NFL, yes?
That's not my point. The Rams lost TA down the stretch last year during some pretty important games where he could have made a difference.

I don't mean to infer at all that TA is injury prone...but let's be real. Teams are going to hit him hard to intimidate him...and he's on a small frame.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's not my point. The Rams lost TA down the stretch last year during some pretty important games where he could have made a difference.

I don't mean to infer at all that TA is injury prone...but let's be real. Teams are going to hit him hard to intimidate him...and he's on a small frame.

He played 15 games last season, no?

Yeah, he's small. I'm sure teams do target him.

I also think he's exceptional at avoiding the big hit using his change of speed/direction skills. He didn't miss a single college game and is above average in the NFL for a wide receiver I would think.

I'm glad he won't be running up the middle every other play now though.

RamWoodie

Legend
He played 15 games last season, no?

Yeah, he's small. I'm sure teams do target him.

I also think he's exceptional at avoiding the big hit using his change of speed/direction skills. He didn't miss a single college game and is above average in the NFL for a wide receiver I would think.

I'm glad he won't be running up the middle every other play now though.
Do you understand, I'm not arguing with you? I'm simply making the point that injury has hampered the Rams WR corps.

I'm behind TA...but just as Holt and Bruce avoided big hits...TA will have to also.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think Givens can return to his rookie form with Foles. Not having a QB who can throw the deep ball really affects the WR who is known for those types of passes. See Mike Wallace post big ben for an example. He should contribute.
I think what happened to Givens was more "between the ears"...I'm not sure what it was though.

lockdnram21

Legend
Bailey has the best hands on the team and may possible run the best routes in finding open spaces for the QB to throw the ball. If Quick is not healthy to start the season I can see Britt and Bailey starting on the outside with Tavon in the slot.

But Cigs will have to find a way to use Bailey this year guy is too good not to have the ball thrown his way. I can see him being our go to go on third down he gets open.
But like they said Bailey is best in the slot