Third and One?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The NFL doesn't penalize team assisting the runner so why not line up almost in a wishbone formation. Handoff the ball to a running back and have two reserve linemen line up behind the QB and push the pile forward? Wouldn't that make is almost impossible to prevent a third and one yard or less?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The NFL doesn't penalize team assisting the runner so why not line up almost in a wishbone formation. Handoff the ball to a running back and have two reserve linemen line up behind the QB and push the pile forward? Wouldn't that make is almost impossible to prevent a third and one yard or less?
Seems like it could work. Or just have one big guy lead blocking with another behind the runner.

It could mess with the defense because they wouldn’t know who was going to carry the ball

Flint

Pro Bowler
When I saw them come out in empty I was like, “no way”, then they shifted, then the niners shifted, then we didn’t get it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
neither the rams nor 49ners had much luck in running on short yardage all night
Playoff defenses. Big MFers on both sides playing with power and leverage.

But I think the Rams ran the ball very well. They got some small chunks here and there and kept the run calls coming so the OL wasn't just getting fired off on all day.

Rams beat the 9ers at their game. That was as tough a 70 yards as you'll see. :laugh2:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
When I saw them come out in empty I was like, “no way”, then they shifted, then the niners shifted, then we didn’t get it.
I would have greatly preferred giving the ball to Sony to the right tackle side on either or both of those plays.

TexasRam

Legend
Let's have someone throw Tutu over the pile with the ball.

Or let's go to the mini fridge package with Gaines powering through. Been saying that for years.

But now Gaines is too valuable so might have to call on SJD.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Ever see AD run with the ball? That's you guy for short yardage! LOL

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Playoff defenses. Big MFers on both sides playing with power and leverage.

But I think the Rams ran the ball very well. They got some small chunks here and there and kept the run calls coming so the OL wasn't just getting fired off on all day.

Rams beat the 9ers at their game. That was as tough a 70 yards as you'll see. :laugh2:
Didn't see much 5 wide in this game which is good.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Let's have someone throw Tutu over the pile with the ball.

Or let's go to the mini fridge package with Gaines powering through. Been saying that for years.

But now Gaines is too valuable so might have to call on SJD.
I like the throw Tutu over the pile play.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Whatever happened to the days when a running back could dive over the pile on the goal line? Those two QB sneaks by Stafford vs the Bucs and the one vs the Niners weren't my favorite calls. You can't tell me Akers can't dive over the goal line from the one foot line. Yeah, I get it, sometimes guys get hit and fumble but just be aware of that and hold onto the ball. Here's how you do it;-)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is6Sthr2a5A&t=30s

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Or just give the ball to Sony and have him run for it. Doesn't get stopped for no gain very often.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do miss players colliding mid-air over the goal line on short yardage.