Thinkin OUT THE BOX: finding QBs late in the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ok, so I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this but whatever. I think this type of thing is a valid idea:

First off, I like the idea of using the practice squad for developing a QB long term. Problem is, you can't really do that if the QB is worth his salt. But it IS something you could do if you go after a major development project. But how do you do that, you ask?

I'm glad you asked. The body type that I would like for a QB if I'm gonna do that is the TEs who have some wheels to them. They are all usually at least 6'4" to 6'5" and somewhat athletic so if they need to get out of the pocket they can. I have no idea which of them actually have arms, however, so here's what I'd do...

Start by working out the late round TE prospects and big/slow WRs who are gonna slide, to determine which of them actually have good arms. Quiz them on overall offensive schemes, to determine which of them have the mentality and intelligence to understand "why" certain routes are run certain ways, or what you're trying to do on a given play from their playbook. Lump those guys together and take one of them late round in every draft.

Next, stick him on the practice squad. If the guy wants to be a QB and has the mentality and arm for it, being poached is unlikely until they start showing something in preseason ball. Once you have a guy who really has some acumen and upside, you have a decision to make but it's a good place to be.

Basic idea here is that college teams don't always see it right. There are surely guys who have the right size and raw ability to play some QB at the NFL level, but who have never really gotten the opportunity. I know it sounds nuts, but if you have a strong QB coach this type of thing might help supplement your depth chart at the most important position, and the cost is only a late round pick that rarely works out anyway and also could be done with UDFAs.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That would have to be a miracle conversion at the NFL level but it's not impossible. Blake Bortles was a TE before he was a QB so diamonds in the rough like that are probably out there.

hayreddin

UDFA
Name
Hayreddin
Most nfl qbs have been playing qb since they were three and have worked their butts off, then only a select few actually adapt to the NFL. Idk how some TE/WR making a conversion at 22 yrs old is going to be a good qb. :/

Athos

Legend
Yesh.

QB is one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult, positions in the NFL. It's why there have been so many QB busts. No. Just no to that strategy.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Logan Thomas.
Drafted mid rounds just on his physical skills.
Lets see how that works out.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
My main question is how you plan to workout these late draft picks? Unless they are homegrown you only have a limited amount of workouts, which are sure to be valuable. Wasting a handful of those for this wouldn't be feasible. I agree that there are probably players that were pigeon holed into a certain position by coaches in pop warner football and might be better at other positions and it would be worth investigating, but it would just take away too many resources for the off chance you find that diamond.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My main question is how you plan to workout these late draft picks? Unless they are homegrown you only have a limited amount of workouts, which are sure to be valuable. Wasting a handful of those for this wouldn't be feasible. I agree that there are probably players that were pigeon holed into a certain position by coaches in pop warner football and might be better at other positions and it would be worth investigating, but it would just take away too many resources for the off chance you find that diamond.

Dammit. I hate difficult questions to my most creative fringe suggestions.

I suppose I'd launch this effort by utilizing the college day workouts with an army of poorly paid wannabe scouts. "Hey kid, let's see how far you can throw that ball after your slow ass 40 yard dash..."

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Our you could just draft QB prospects in the late rounds until you come up with the next Brady or Warner.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
No matter where/who we draft a QB this year (unless maybe it is Winston) they will have to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man rooster. They can not select someone who is worth the time to develop and expose him to waiver claim. Rams will need to adjust how they construct their roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No matter where/who we draft a QB this year (unless maybe it is Winston) they will have to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man rooster. They can not select someone who is worth the time to develop and expose him to waiver claim. Rams will need to adjust how they construct their roster.

Agreed, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place.

If the Rams drafted 2 QBs in this draft they'd risk losing one when he gets exposed to poaching on the practice squad. But going with a more raw option that has the tools but no film playing QB is a different deal and he'd be safe on the practice squad for at least the first year.

It would require more investment from your scouting side by the owner, but over a ten year period if you find a good backup or guy who might be a franchise QB option it's worth it given the importance of the position. Just invest one late round pick for this. If that next year the guy hasn't learned anything do it again, rinse and repeat.

And the advantage vs the late round QBs is you could find raw talent with prototypical size and arm; most of those guys that go late have spaghetti arms, are too small, drugs or arrests, etc. I know it sounds nuts, but I'll bet some team will do this at some point moving forward.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
If the Rams drafted 2 QBs in this draft they'd risk losing one when he gets exposed to poaching on the practice squad. But going with a more raw option that has the tools but no film playing QB is a different deal and he'd be safe on the practice squad for at least the first year.

I agree they need a development quarterback, I just believe that the Ram's situation (having Bradford on the rooster, their draft position and the development of the defense and the offensive skill players) keeps them from drafting 2 QBs unless one of them is Winston. The Ram's #2 QB has too be as good if not better than S. Hill. The next year is to important to the Ram's to bank on a rookie QB as the number 2.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree with the OP... that is out of the box thinking!!

Actually, I'm now stuck trying to find that box. :);)

Memphis Ram

Legend
It takes a considerable amount of time for guys who have actually played the position in college to develop into traditional NFL QBs. I can't even imagine how much longer it would take someone who hasn't done so.

Doubt this ever happens. Coaching turnover alone makes it extremely unlikely & a waste of time.