Think Steven Jackson gets re-signed in 2013?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In August of 2008 he signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract. The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus. Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract.

2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable years, but can't be voided now)
2014: Free Agent

With the emergence of Daryl Richardson, and with Pead waiting in the wings (still think Pead is going to be good), is re-signing Jackson something this staff is willing to do next year? I'm a Steven Jackson fan. 100%. But. It's clear to even his greatest fans that he's lost a step. You don't see him kicking it outside as much as he used to either. And next year is going to be the year they re-sign him if they're going to do it at all. If they truly value him, they can't wait until he actually becomes a free agent to try and sign him again. Unless they plan on Franchising him?

What do you think?

quebecramfan

Rookie
I would not keep him... Let him go to a winner.. he deserves it... I understand all that he has done for the rams but when you can pay a 7th round pick to do the same.... why waste our money

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tough one. I am huge SJ fan - watched him in college too. Stan is a classier act than we're used to. They may make a push to sign him long term but I also think that would have to come with some pretty good concessions on SJ's part. If he thinks he can go out and get that one last big payday or feels a ring is coming elsewhere, I think he's gone. I do actually think this regime will try to retire him in horns. How hard will they try? Not sure.

I'd love to see him retire a Ram. But not if it comes with putting us in cap hell.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
quebecramfan said:
I would not keep him... Let him go to a winner.. he deserves it... I understand all that he has done for the rams but when you can pay a 7th round pick to do the same.... why waste our money

I would agree but WHO is that winner? Is it enough that he goes to a +500 team or are you talking SB winner? Would anyone have guessed that the Giants were a front runner to be SB champs last year? Don't think so. Can SJ take a contending team over the edge? Not sure at this point in his career. I really think that is going to be what he has to decide more than our FO. I just want them to do their best by our long time #1 RB who has certainly paid his dues. I am confident they won't sell the team down the road to do so.

I honestly think he helps the Rams more than any other team with familiarity and all. It would be a mistake for him to go elsewhere at this point in his career.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple of points I omitted...

Jackson has already said that he wants to retire a Ram, and it was sincere.
How much leverage would he have in negotiations as he gets older and the position as a whole continues to get undervalued?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If Jackson is losing that step, we're bound to see changes in the distribution of carries next year. If that happens, Jackson will probably not be able to garner top-RB money. I'm not even certain that money is that much of a consideration for him. Next year the Rams will be better (I hope this year's record means being better next year is significant), which could be all the incentive Jackson needs to sign for a couple more years.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
As a fan I have been VERY pleased with what I have seen from from Richardson so far. With that being said, I realize that its only been THREE games into the season. If I was Fisher, there would be no way i'm going to name Richardson my starter and completely forget about Pead (A second round draft pick) and Jackson (a probowl running back.) Not because Richardson is a seventh round draft pick, but because it's only been three freaking games.

Now, with that being said, Jackson will likely have to settle for a much smaller contract (assuming the play of our current backup running backs continue) if he wishes to stay a Ram. Even if Jackson does wish to remain a Ram there is a very strong chance that the new coaching staff won't want him, because they seem to favor more youthful players which is understandable.

I personally think this sucks, because Jackson has been the one player to stick it out with this team through all the crappy years and rookie head coaches. He's is still not getting credit he desreves for playing behind another putrid offenisve line, even though he was very productive in his limited time in game two.

But, like I stated earlier it has only been three games and things can change very quickly in the NFL. Ask this question again around week ten where I can give you a more educated decision based on what this team looks like.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Well, looking at how the Rams are playing now with limited talent, with one more good draft and a few breakout players, he will be on a contender in 2013.

I would like to keep him in horns...I would just rather gradually start splitting more carries with the young guns.

No one player has ever won a Superbowl.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Would he be ok with eventually moving to a backup role or a split RB committee approach? If not, I think there are other teams that would view him as an upgrade over their current situation (Jets, Packers) and he would play more.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont think either Pead nor Richardson are complete backs. SJ is IMO.

Richardson is more explosive but the dude drops on first contact. Both he and Pead are space players.

If SJ expects a massive sum of money, we cant afford to resign him, but if he is reasonable I dont see any reason not to resign him. Even if he ends up accepting a more limited role, he can be a mentor to the younger backs and a leader in the locker room. There is no other player in the NFL that takes care of his body like SJ does. That is such a key aspect to sustainable success.

In a way I think of SJ as our Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ray Lewis, Donald Driver etc. All have lost a few steps since their prime but they are all still valuable assets for their team. Physically and emotionally.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Jackson wants to stay, we should definitely resign him. He's the heart and soul of the Rams, and even if he slows down a bit, it's not like we can't afford to have him. He'd be an amazing mentor for Richardson and Pead, while being a huge contributor. And like libertadrocks said, there's not a player in the NFL who takes care of their body more than Jackson.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
I dont think either Pead nor Richardson are complete backs. SJ is IMO.

Richardson is more explosive but the dude drops on first contact. Both he and Pead are space players.

If SJ expects a massive sum of money, we cant afford to resign him, but if he is reasonable I dont see any reason not to resign him. Even if he ends up accepting a more limited role, he can be a mentor to the younger backs and a leader in the locker room. There is no other player in the NFL that takes care of his body like SJ does. That is such a key aspect to sustainable success.

In a way I think of SJ as our Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ray Lewis, Donald Driver etc. All have lost a few steps since their prime but they are all still valuable assets for their team. Physically and emotionally.

The only thing I would disagree with is that Richardson drops on first contact. He runs with pretty good power - he is just a little small to drag 250+ players with him. Other than that, I agree with everything you said here.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If he and the team play well rest of the year I'd like to see him come back and be a asset. That's what I'd like to see as the outcome.

What I think will happen is much different.
This year will be the last for him as a Ram. He won't be resigned. All the proper respects will be paid and the right things said, but that ship will set sail.
His replacement isn't on the team now but will be after the next draft. Meet Marcus Lattimore the new Rams every down back.

This is not how I wished it to end, just what I see as a high provability based on how the NFL works.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yamahopper said:
If he and the team play well rest of the year I'd like to see him come back and be a asset. That's what I'd like to see as the outcome.

What I think will happen is much different.
This year will be the last for him as a Ram. He won't be resigned. All the proper respects will be paid and the right things said, but that ship will set sail.
His replacement isn't on the team now but will be after the next draft. Meet Marcus Lattimore the new Rams every down back.

This is not how I wished it to end, just what I see as a high provability based on how the NFL works.
Jackson's contract runs through 2013. So unless they decided to cut him (hell, no. Fisher has too much respect for his workhorse backs.), he'll be Ram next year.