Think G Williams will be back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Dan Arkush | PFW

The Rams hardly have been up front on the details of their defensive coordinator-by-committee game plan in the absence of Gregg Williams, who has been suspended indefinitely because of his “Bountygate” involvement.

“It’s been a well-kept secret, which I think (head coach Jeff) Fisher is doing on purpose,” one team insider said. “One reason is that, in Fisher’s mind, he fully expects to have Williams back next season.”

But perhaps an even bigger reason is the growing evidence that Williams’ son, Blake, the team’s LB coach, could be positioned to become the defense’s play-calling point man. Blake Williams has been off limits as far as repeated interview requests are concerned — a decision most close observers suspect is designed to lessen the pressure on him in an obviously sensitive situation. Assistant head coach Dave McGinnis, who also will have his share of input, has emerged as the defensive spokesman in weekly interviews with the media.

More: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... -game-plan

Following up on this, if true, then Williams Jr. being positioned as the defensive playcaller is a precursor to a fluid transition into the same defense once Williams Sr. retires or moves on. That is, provided Williams Jr. WANTS to stay on as defensive coordinator at that point and not follow his dad around the league.

Which leads me to anther important point. Who is the disciple of Schottenheimer right now? I don't know if Schotty would want to be a head coach in a couple of years; but if he does, there needs to be a contingency in place and they should probably be working on that now. Someone who can keep the same scheme (more or less) and just continue on with it. Same terminology, roughly the same plays, same concept, same everything.

I think this has been the most damaging aspect of Rams football over the past few years. Change, change, change, change, change. For the benefit of all these young players, there should absolutely be no more change. You know, if they can help it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Williams will come back next year. He's been quietly serving his time, helping the NFL out when he is asked, I think they almost have to let him come back, especially after Vick. If they were to tell him that no, it's going to be for life, it'd be a huge PR nightmare. Then again maybe they just wont care.

Either way, my money is on Williams being back next year.

As for whoever Schotty is grooming, I have no clue. Hopefully he doesn't want to become a HC anytime soon.

Anonymous

X said:
Which leads me to anther important point. Who is the disciple of Schottenheimer right now? I don't know if Schotty would want to be a head coach in a couple of years; but if he does, there needs to be a contingency in place and they should probably be working on that now. Someone who can keep the same scheme (more or less) and just continue on with it. Same terminology, roughly the same plays, same concept, same everything.

The obvious possibility would be Cignetti. He's a former college coordinator among other things. His resume:

99: Chiefs, qb coach
2000-2001: Saints, qb coach
2002-2005: Fresno State, coordinator
2006: North Carolina, OC & qb coach
2007: 49ers, qb coach
2008: Berkeley, coordinator
2009-2010: Pitt, coordinator
2011: Rutgers, coordinator

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I could be mistaken, but under the circumstances of this construction project (for lack of a better word) would seem to favor most if not all the support staff remaining in place for sometime. After all, they're basically starting from scratch with the exception of a few building blocks and as a result, who wouldn't like to stick around for awhile and see what happens?

This team is on the rise BIG TIME, it's "almost" as if this team has suddenly joined the league as an expansion team. The majority of their players are both young and possessed with tons of potential....it would seem as though any coach or support staff would sell their soul for the opportunity to build a team from the ground up....after all, it doesn't happen very often and in the Rams case, never before that I can remember....the closest being perhaps during the first Knox era that I can recall and even then, it was more limited in scope.

IMO, this group is building something very special, for some of these coaches it's their last pass through the system and I suspect they intend to go out with a bang. By the time 2014 rolls around (assuming the politicians don't destroy the nation first), this team will be something to behold and that comparisons between them and Niner-Steeler-Patriot type dynasties will soon follow.

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
I could be mistaken, but under the circumstances of this construction project (for lack of a better word) would seem to favor most if not all the support staff remaining in place for sometime. After all, they're basically starting from scratch with the exception of a few building blocks and as a result, who wouldn't like to stick around for awhile and see what happens?

Well, a couple of things. First, when they actually were starting from scratch, 2009-2010, someone hired away Shurmur.

Now that they are much, much further along than they were then and in fact further along than any "starting from scratch" team I have ever seen my entire time watching the game, even if that were a criteria other teams applied when it comes to hiring coaches, it wouldn't apply to the Rams anyway.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Now that they are much, much further along than they were then and in fact further along than any "starting from scratch" team I have ever seen my entire time watching the game

Let's see now, potentially 31 rookies will make the team and the possibility that this team might become the youngest in NFL history. When did you begin watching football, 1952? :razzed:

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
Now that they are much, much further along than they were then and in fact further along than any "starting from scratch" team I have ever seen my entire time watching the game

Let's see now, potentially 31 rookies will make the team and the possibility that this team might become the youngest in NFL history. When did you begin watching football, 1952? :razzed:

How many starters & key players did they carry over from 2011.

That;s the distinction. Even if you were accurate, changing the bench is not "starting over." Starting over is changing the starters.

And I don't count on 31 rookies making the team. They have 31 rookies NOW--on the 90 man roster. They won't all make the final cut. Unless you imagine guys like Joe Long making the final 53.

Last year the Rams drafted 8 guys and signed 24 UDFAs, so at this point last year they had 32 rookies on the roster.

The reason it's going to be a young team is the possibility of so many young veterans from 2009-2011 making the 53. Not just the 2012 rookies. If they're keeping a key (and large) portion of the 2009-2011 picks and signings, though, that means they're adding on, not starting over.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
I think Williams will come back next year. He's been quietly serving his time, helping the NFL out when he is asked, I think they almost have to let him come back, especially after Vick. If they were to tell him that no, it's going to be for life, it'd be a huge PR nightmare. Then again maybe they just wont care.

As for whoever Schotty is grooming, I have no clue. Hopefully he doesn't want to become a HC anytime soon.

Completely agree with the bolded part.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
bluecoconuts said:

(the rest is complete bullshit)

Just finishing your thought for ya, mem. :lol:

No charge.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Memento said:
bluecoconuts said:

(the rest is complete bullshit)

Just finishing your thought for ya, mem. :lol:

No charge.

Nah, that wasn't what I was thinking. Should've probably said that I agreed with everything, especially the bold part.

:lol: