Think Danario Alexander makes the team this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Alexander make the 53 this year?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rounding out the receivers, who do you see sticking? Alexander started out his OTAs by being held out due to a sore hamstring. At least it's not a knee swelling up or anything, but still. It's really a shame. A receiver of his "stature" would be a real nice target to have, but as I see the receivers who could become long-term solutions, I don't see Alexander being babied throughout the year again. Not with Fisher anyway.

Anyone think he makes it through camp and onto the roster this year?

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am one of Alexander's biggest fans but with the additions of Brian Quick and Chris Givens I am not sure the Rams staff can take a chance on him staying healthy for an entire season.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If I had to put some cash down,,, I would have to say no. The knee is going to be the reason, not a lack of talent / potential.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Idk right now. Have to see how things go this offseason.

If he sat out last practice because of knee problems, and not from the staff just holding him back a bit, it's not a good sign/start.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I'll hesitate and say yes, if he stays reasonably healthy. To me that means not being out for a period of camp. If he makes plays and is limited the very odd time then he stays. The reason I hesitate is because I think his roster spot (5 or 6 WR) would be more up for grabs if the Rams had more guys on the roster with more upside. That should come next year, however, I don't think Pettis and Gibson offer more upside than DX right now as a lower risk 5 or 6 guy. I don't believe DX is superman, believe me, especially with his injury situation. The only reason I would replace him is if I felt they were taking reps from a guy that could be a better big picture longer term contributor and right now I don't see that guy on the roster. IMO.

Someone will need to beat him out. Either that or missing time will beat him out. Special teams contribution, or lack of with DX, will also play a factor. Do they have enough ST'ers at WR, DB, RB etc that can play similar roles at ST's to hide DX's weakness there? Camp will be interesting.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No.

I like him, but he's just not healthy. His knee still has him limited, and the added talent in camp, I just don't think the coaching staff will have the patience with him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'll say yes and only reference Bruuuuce and his lingering hamstring situation...however its not a compare/contrast reason..
I just have a feel good sense he has worked so hard beyond trying to even describe and comprehend. I'm not calling out any other wr's except Gibson (overall he just doesn't show up in reg.season games)... I think we'll keep 6 wr's but again no speculation on anyone else who doesn't make it at this point.

Obviously the drafting of all wr's in the last 2 drafts does have a correlation to DX's ultimate outcome.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm as big of a Mizzou homer as you'll ever see, but even I don't think that DX will make the team. You just can't count on him to stay healthy, and it's only a matter of time until the knee issue pops up again.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The only way I could imagine him making the 53 would be as the last receiver, getting very limited PT. Kind of like a secret weapon--or Laurent Robinson on the Cowboys. But again, if we're relying on an injury risk to fill in for other injured players, isn't that asking for trouble?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd love to have him stick if for no other reason than to run a couple of fade routes from like 10 yards out each week, but I don't see it. Quick, Givens, Amendola, Smith, Salas and...on paper you'd think another tall guy with ups would fit there. Maybe they give it to Pettis though.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless the new coaches work miraculous things with him the only way I see him staying is as a position specific replacement for Quick.
He and Gibson had their shots and best they can be is back of the rotation WR's. With the team going young we might be better served by keeping a talented udfa and letting him develop.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By Tony Softli
Published: May 17, 2012 @ 5:12am
http://tonysoftli.com/?nid=28&sid=15741289

Alexander Struggling Again

Oft-injured Rams receiver Danario Alexander is back on the shelf. For how long this time, nobody knows. The big-play wideout missed yesterday’s OTA practice session, the second scheduled team workout this week, with a slightly pulled hamstring. Alexander strained it during Tuesday’s practice sessions and stood around gaining mental reps on Wednesday.

A RED player (starter and heavy contributor) when healthy, Alexander struggled to make it through the 2011 season, missing practices and a total of six games with a soft-tissue injury (hamstring) and knee swelling that has frequently derailed his progress as a professional. His multiple knee surgeries are well documented, but now soft-tissue injuries are creeping back into the picture – and the Rams just started the offseason program. In order to impress the new regime of head coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, the former Missouri Tiger must stay healthy, compete and put his full set of talents on display.

With the Rams’ 2012 draft class in the books, the names of Brian Quick and Chris Givens have sent a very clear message to the rest of the receiving corps at the ContinuityX Training Center that only the best, most competitive men, with the ability to contribute as a receiver and on special teams at a high level, will make the 53-man roster. In the NFL, it’s all about helping a team win for 16 weeks. Football is a physical game. Injuries happen, but struggling during the offseason and limping into the regular season will have the odds of making the 2012 roster stacked against you.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can't vote against DX, but unfortunately I can't vote for him either. I hope he finds a way.

wolfman84

Rookie
It appears most everyone agrees that Quick, Givens, Amendola, and Salas are the likely top four. There may be some surprises but they appear to be the most likely targets for Sam. I believe smram alluded to it when he mentioned special teams. I’m not sure you can fill your 5th and 6th spot on a depth chart with someone who isn’t a significant contributor on the other 3rd of your team. That may give an edge to someone like a Nick Johnson who returns kicks, or even Petis who can hold on kicks. It may also be a disadvantage to Smith and DX, both of whom I like, but what’s their total contribution? That’s part of what camp is for, I guess. Should be fun to watch unfold. May the best man survive and may those that don’t never come back to beat us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wolfman84 said:
May the best man survive and may those that don’t never come back to beat us.
That's an interesting statement.

What if DX is indeed cut, but ends up signing with one of the NFC West teams and stays healthy there? H-O-L-Y-C-R-A-P. What a storm of posts and heated discussions THAT would generate. I know it's not prudent to keep a guy based on what he may or may not do in the league, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless. Is DX that imposing that you'd hate for the Rams to face him, or is he just a decent receiver that elicits as much fear as, say, Michael Crabtree does?

steferfootball

Starter
wolfman84 said:
It appears most everyone agrees that Quick, Givens, Amendola, and Salas are the likely top four. There may be some surprises but they appear to be the most likely targets for Sam. I believe smram alluded to it when he mentioned special teams. I’m not sure you can fill your 5th and 6th spot on a depth chart with someone who isn’t a significant contributor on the other 3rd of your team. That may give an edge to someone like a Nick Johnson who returns kicks, or even Petis who can hold on kicks. It may also be a disadvantage to Smith and DX, both of whom I like, but what’s their total contribution? That’s part of what camp is for, I guess. Should be fun to watch unfold. May the best man survive and may those that don’t never come back to beat us.
Janoriss Jenkins, Austin Pettis (well... kinda) and Danny Amendila can serve as returners.

What we really need are coverage guys. Like that curry fellow...

bluecoconuts

Legend
I believe Pead would make a good return man as well.

Johnson I think might make for a good gunner though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm going to be optimistic here and say DX has a break out year. That would mean he is going to maintain health and all his grit and hard work are going to pay off. If injury enters the picture, I think you all know there will be a lot of sad singing and slow driving concerning his career in the NFL.