Things I like and things I don’t like about various Rams position groups...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Guys like Brockers are not playing up to their contract need to redo their contacts or go! Weddle and Matthews were not the players we expected to get and need to go. Also, I don't want to see them over pay to get Fowler. As far as RBs go, I think Gurley's lack of production is more on McVay then Gurley. Brown looks like he would be easy to replace and Henderson needs more time for an accurate evaluation.
Run gane falls on McVay, Kromer, and the OL.

Look at the stats. All 3 RBs avg 3.9 or 3.8 ypc. So that is a scheme/ OL talent issue. Not a RB talent issue.

What I don't like about Brown though, is that he does not carry much of a load, yet he still gets hurt a lot. So he is not reliable.

I would try to find a big back late and bring in a bunch of UDFA's to push for a spot.

Also I would dangle Brown for a late pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would try to find a big back late and bring in a bunch of UDFA's to push for a spot.
Agreed Philly. Big and physical type back or a nice FB, either of which can be had outside the early rounds. And this draft btw is loaded in the offensive backfield.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Using sacks as a way to grade a oline is "oversimplifying" The oline was pure trash all year and goff and Gurley regressed from it. Sorry to tell you all pocket passer need time to throw and goff is no different. Look at Brady for a perfect example.

Sacks are often a better indicator on the QB than the O-Line as well.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Agreed Philly. Big and physical type back or a nice FB, either of which can be had outside the early rounds. And this draft btw is loaded in the offensive backfield.

yeah a big power back would be nice but what I would like is an ol that any back could run behind. do you remember graig bell and Charles white both 1000 plus yard gainers behind a great rams line. there was also those Denver lines that it seamed like they could plug any back in there and gain a 1000 plus.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah a big power back would be nice but what I would like is an ol that any back could run behind. do you remember graig bell and Charles white both 1000 plus yard gainers behind a great rams line. there was also those Denver lines that it seamed like they could plug any back in there and gain a 1000 plus.
No doubt. But if the Rams can find a physical back who has some catching ability that makes things even harder on the defense.

When you play teams like Seattle or Minnesota, really any playoff level defense, and have a guy you can line up late with a lead and pound away... That's what I want to see. McVay might not of course, but I feel like this team lost a critical element when they let CJ walk and getting that back helps the overall product even assuming they fix the OL which I think they will.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
When you play teams like Seattle or Minnesota, really any playoff level defense, and have a guy you can line up late with a lead and pound away... That's what I want to see. McVay might not of course, but I feel like this team lost a critical element when they let CJ walk and getting that back helps the overall product even assuming they fix the OL which I think they will.

couldn't agree more hope they getter done some how.

Tano

Legend
Maybe so 43. Or maybe he's a rookie who has a former MVP candidate ahead of him on the depth chart. I think it has a lot more to do with that not to mention his protections, which when combined with the OL play is not something the staff wants to risk.

I see a lot of opinions like that being thrown around. But I can show you his snaps where it's clear it's not his fault. Kid got into the game early on vs SF and had a good run where the line blocked well for him, followed by a breakdown on the right side the next play. IMO Hendy is going to be fine. Rams need to block more consistently.

Another area where FANS are missing IMO is the run scheme. Rams seem to get beat a lot due to defenders not being where they are supposed to be irt their scheme. OL seems to have a lot of reach block assignments too, which, given the defensive formations would be very hard to execute. Scheme is a problem IMO. Don't hear one word being thrown around about our run game coordinator though hrm so strange when we have experts who know Wade's done on defense eh?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about... Late first quarter we have a 2nd and 2 that we need to sustain a drive (that ends up being converted by Goff the next play). This is a classic run down. Rams dial up a run to Gurley and he's stuffed for 1 yard gain. Fans be like "Gurley isn't the same guy" and start firing up the flamethrower. But here's what happened:

Pre-snap Rams are loaded up on the right side:
View attachment 33043

At the snap we see a fake jet motion (when the Rams do run the jet it tends to be toward the wide side hash which it would be here) intended to spread the defense. They don't budge. Also the handoff is to the weak side, which completely depends on that jet motion selling the action:
View attachment 33044

At the handoff 20 is already keying on Gurley. That's the book on our offense: ignore the jet action. We see it over and over and over on film:
View attachment 33045

20 blows it up. Gurley will still get it outside but by then it's over:
View attachment 33046

We needed 2 yards there. You can't tell me that scheme was well drawn up when everyone knows teams disregard the jet action.

IMO the issue here is Kromer is not up to snuff coordinating the run game. Stack that concern on top of the talent problem we already have, and the inconsistencies we see due to young players learning on the job.
Look at the top picture - 8 defensive players at the line of scrimmage - I don't know many teams that can run with 8 men at the line of scrimmage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the top picture - 8 defensive players at the line of scrimmage - I don't know many teams that can run with 8 men at the line of scrimmage.
And count the side they run to. 4 defenders over the left/weak side of the alignment.

Last season the Rams anticipated defenses and had answers. This year and particularly in the run game they tend to be surprised and spend half the game running into walls of defenders.

Now granted it is players too obviously, their poor blocking. But we've been all over them all season on every Rams board. The schematic side in the run game not so much.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the issue here is Kromer is not up to snuff coordinating the run game. Stack that concern on top of the talent problem we already have, and the inconsistencies we see due to young players learning on the job.

Thank you Merlin! This is exactly what I've been harping about for weeks. Everyone is blowing up Gurley, or the o-line guys but in reality much of it is at the feet of Kromer. He's got to go!!! It's really apparent to me when I watch the games that too many times the o-line simply doesn't understand exactly how to execute the blocking scheme whatever it might be. Too many times it simply seems like they are left to their own discretion to who they are going to block and in what sequence. The lack of technique is astounding much of the time.

What we saw in the AZ game today was that the o-line will be pretty good next year if we get a decent coordinator and a dedicated o-line coach. I record the games and focus upon certain aspects and simply re-run the play with the limited advantage TV accords. Many times the "instant" replay gives me an advantage and I watch the play often times focusing in on the background, i.e. o-line play.

People for some reason don't like Allen, but IMO he will be a good center if given the time and good coaching to develop. IMO he out played Sullivan in his limited time and his mistakes were just that, mistakes of a first time starter.

LT - Noteboom
LG - Corbett
C - Allen
RG - Evans
RT - Edwards
Swings OT - Brewer, OG/C Shelton

IMO that should be next year's o-line and I think the talent is there for it to be pretty good if McVay dumps Kromer and gets a real run game coordinator and a real o-line coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LT - Noteboom
LG - Corbett
C - Allen
RG - Evans
RT - Edwards
Swings OT - Brewer, OG/C Shelton
I think the thing to remember here is the GM and President need to brief the owner on what their plan is and update him. I find it very difficult to believe they'll actually go in Kroenke's office and look him in the eye and tell him we have the pieces on the OL to get it done.

Rams are going to add at least one FA and will draft at least one lineman. There is zero chance they stand pat with this roster IMO. Honestly if I'm Stan Kroenke and Les Snead looked me in the eye and told me that he would be fired on the spot.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think they have been executing this plan for the last 3 years. It's why they traded for a very specific OG in Corbett. They actually targeted Corbett in that draft but Cleveland took in at the top of the second round. Noteboom, Allen, Evans and Edwards were also targeted drafts. The fact they were willing to give up 2 first round picks for Ramsey, shows me they feel they are just filling the last holes in the roster and really don't need first round picks for starters. You do that kind of trade when your upcoming draft is really about building depth and developing future starters.

Regardless I think they have enough talent at this point to feel good about the o-line next year. Give these guys better coaching and this team will be really good consistently.