Things are spirited at Rams' OTA session/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Things are spirited at Rams' OTA session
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ae3ede96-9909-53b4-aba5-167009066142.html

No less than three minor scuffles characterized a spirited Thursday practice at Rams Park. It was the first of the spring sessions known as OTAs open to the media, and just the second overall.

New wide receiver Kenny Britt, the former Tennessee Titan, had a couple of highlight-reel catches Thursday, beating cornerback Trumaine Johnson for a touchdown on one of them. Britt, who plays with a lot of emotion on the field, quickly launched into some trash talk with Johnson _ and that undoubtedly precipitated the first scuffle which involved the two later in practice.

Fisher stopped practice after that incident and called the team together, basically telling the players to knock it off. However two other mini-scuffles followed, the mildest occurring when seventh-round defensive end Michael Sam of Missouri gave running back Isaiah Pead a little extra _ namely a forearm to the back _ while Pead was trying to pass-block against him.

Quarterback Sam Bradford, who will take part in about half of the OTA work this month, sat out Thursday's session with the exception of some walk-through work. He will be more of a full participant on Friday, including throwing in 7-on-7 drills.

Not practicing Thursday as they rehab assorted injuries were: LT Jake Long, DE William Hayes, RB Chase Reynolds, as well as rookie safeties Maurice Alexander and Christian Bryant.

Center Scott Wells was not present; he had an excused absence but will be back on the practice field Friday.

Tim Barnes worked with the starters in Wells' absence at center with the first unit. As expected, No. 2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson of Auburn worked at left guard, and Rodger Saffold was a right guard. Because of that, the Rams dipped further down the depth chart at left tackle using Sean Hooey there in Long's absence.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Tim Barnes worked with the starters in Wells' absence at center with the first unit.

Ugh. I hope Barrett Jones gets a shot sooner rather than later.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ugh. I hope Barrett Jones gets a shot sooner rather than later.

This is Fisher's MO, and he is pretty consistent with it. Veterans get the benefit of the doubt, and in terms of Barnes, he is definitely the vet between the two. These are merely installation reps, so I wouldn't read a whole lot into who is with whom just yet.

And as far as Jones, getting "a shot", let him earn it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
However two other mini-scuffles followed, the mildest occurring when seventh-round defensive end Michael Sam of Missouri gave running back Isaiah Pead a little extra _ namely a forearm to the back _ while Pead was trying to pass-block against him.
Sounds like Pead frustrated Sam

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's refreshing to see some swagger from our WRs for a change, how long as it been since we had that? Holt?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
It's refreshing to see some swagger from our WRs for a change, how long as it been since we had that? Holt?

I just hope that whatever "swagger" he might have doesn't turn into penalties and nonsense. I'm really not that excited about Britt regardless of how he plays. If anyone breaks out, I'd like to see it be one of our younger guys like Quick.

I seem to recall Givens and Jenkins going at it in camp.
Repeatedly.

Yep, I remember reading about that the last couple years.

FRO

Legend
I just hope that whatever "swagger" he might have doesn't turn into penalties and nonsense. I'm really not that excited about Britt regardless of how he plays. If anyone breaks out, I'd like to see it be one of our younger guys like Quick.

Yep, I remember reading about that the last couple years.
Quick isn't much younger than Britt. I think it's less than a years difference. I just hope guys break out and we have a good team.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Quick isn't much younger than Britt. I think it's less than a years difference. I just hope guys break out and we have a good team.

Didn't realize that. Quick just has less experience so there's more to potential look forward to I guess. That and the fact that we drafted him makes me like him more or something I guess haha.

FRO

Legend
Didn't realize that. Quick just has less experience so there's more to potential look forward to I guess. That and the fact that we drafted him makes me like him more or something I guess haha.
Nothing wrong with that. I would rather it be Quick because he seems to be solid off the field and is under contract longer.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Nothing wrong with that. I would rather it be Quick because he seems to be solid off the field and is under contract longer.

I actually would like to see BOTH of those two improving and asserting themselves. .... I would like to see ALL of our WR's step up and become play makers. That would mean we don't have to bitch about the position or worry about addressing it AGAIN next year! (y):D:p