They keep on coming, two more options ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is what I was trying to advocate more or less. I'm not set on names specifically yet except I like Erving and I'd like us to land the best pure OT and Center available. I just have a feeling though that Erving is going to shoot up quite a bit from now and draft day so truth be told if we really really love him we may just have to stay put (or move down only a little) to get him.

Or, ... possibly reverse the scenario in my mock, trade down in the 1'st for Erving, trade up from the 2'nd for Flowers.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Or, ... possibly reverse the scenario in my mock, trade down in the 1'st for Erving, trade up from the 2'nd for Flowers.
Yes. The big bang for us, OL-wise anyway, seems to be mid-1st to early 2nd rounds. It would sure be peaches to somehow get three pick in that sweet spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep we keep on wining the BPA awards but keep having one bad loosing season after another getting worse season by season....I do not believe in the BPA equals to a winning team.

I do not see any evidence of a winning season around here. But boy those Best Pick Available Awards sure look good. I think it may be time to change something around here & FIX the Problem here going into Fishers 4th season now. Rams pass receiving units are not weak nor are they a problem.

Could we just do one draft where we use the draft to fix the teams most glaring weak unit ? Then Fisher could return back to going after the BPA awards again in 2016 draft. Fisher just might find out he could have a winning season by doing this.

Or we could continue to draft players like Aaron Donald and build a strong team. We do have more than one pick in this draft.

You want to know how teams get better? They accrue talent. You know how they don't accrue talent? By over-drafting "needs".

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It would sure be peaches to somehow get three pick in that sweet spot.
Just guessing, but that might require some kind of trade down for both of Cleveland's 1'sts. If Mariota fell to us, and the Browns are indeed done with Manziel, such a trade wouldn't really surprise me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You want to know how teams get better? They accrue talent. You know how they don't accrue talent? By over-drafting "needs".

'Accruing' talent can also be more prosperous when you add additional quality draft picks thru trade. 'Need' doesn't necessarily equal over drafting, especially when you trade to a position where BPA and need meet.

Memphis Ram

Legend
'Accruing' talent can also be more prosperous when you add additional quality draft picks thru trade. 'Need' doesn't necessarily equal over drafting, especially when you trade to a position where BPA and need meet.

You can move down and pick up a solid Wayne Gandy but, miss out on an All-Pro Bryant Young.

No guarantees that the player(s) a team is trading down for where BPA and need supposedly are expected to meet will be on the board. That how you wind up with Pead and Watkins vs. All-Pro Bobby Wagner.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You can move down and pick up a solid Wayne Gandy but, miss out on an All-Pro Bryant Young.

No guarantees that the player(s) a team is trading down for where BPA and need supposedly are expected to meet will be on the board. That how you wind up with Pead and Watkins vs. All-Pro Bobby Wagner.

There is also no guarantee that Cooper & White are as successful as T Holt & C Johnson. There is no guarantee our OC will know how to play him any better than T Austin. There is no guarantee a bad O-Line will allow their QB an opportunity to hit their shiny new receiver.

I will guarantee if the Rams trade down to the late teens/early 20's and somehow happen to miss a targeted Erving, there will indeed be another quality offensive lineman available, ... AND, they will have a very coveted additional draft pick.
The Rams are a team with several very good receivers, unfortunately they haven't had a real QB in a season and a half. I'd like to see what we have in our last high draft pick WR so many here were clamoring for before he slides further down the depth chart into obscurity. Rather than draft at a position of little need, just how many balls should we project as going to Cooper with Britt, Quick, Bailey, Austin, Givens, Cook, Kendricks, Harkey & our receiving RB's sharing ? If we continue neglecting our OL, how poor will our rush blocking be again ? With little rush threat, how many defensive players are not brought into the box, further hurting covered receivers. There are few guarantees in the NFL, but if we choose to ignore the OL again, I'll guarantee you another poor season. jmo.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
My opinion is ...I think the thing to remember is that not only does the o-line need starting quality talent.... but quality depth witch right now we have none...... i think we need at least five .....not to mention, not just average but we should be looking to create a dominant o-line..... a strength, not just average. It's always stated that a first round pick needs to contribute. .....Cooper or White will for sure as they rotate with Britt Quick Bailey and Austin........ but any number of 1st round o-line prospects will jump right into starting lineup and contribute from day one. Now this is just my point of view......But I believe that football is still one in the trenches and a great o-line helps a offense as much as a great d-line helps a Defense.

Go Rams.............. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Isn't this a little over the top Boni? The 2nd overall pick last year and trying to grab another one in the 1st, going after Long, signing pro bowler Scott Wells, offering Saffold the second most money next to the ridiculous Raiduh offer, two fourth rounders in Watkins and Jones, am I missing someone?

You can say that several haven't worked out as well as we'd all like but I think it is clear that the desire is there. Maybe it's not as high as many of us would like but we have spent the resources to have a very good line and if three of those resources didn't go down to injuries, we wouldn't likely be having this conversation.

Maybe but that's what I believe. Whatever has been done the results have been just plain bad. Name me one good OL'er that was drafted or brought in or developed by the Fisher & his crew over the last three seasons? Please do not bring up Joe Barksdale who is not a complete good OL'er. Robinson may reach that good grade during this Fisher 4th season but I just do not see any good results as of now. This team has suffered through some real bad OL's. Fisher has one good OL'er in Rodger Saffold he was drafted before Fisher arrived & yes Fisher did resign Saffold but he was not drafted & developed by Fisher's crew. Where is the evidence.

You guys know that I have been in front & beating the drum harder than anyone here that Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney & even the departed Tim Barnes would be good candidates & worthy to develop here for future heavy use but even I am running hard on just my limited information & small cameo game recordings with opinions & future hopes here. But when we get into the factual evidence minus the personal opinions & hopes......not much for even me to hang my Rams ball cap on.

Here's what I see here over the past 3 drafts....Fisher has had Five 1st rd picks, Five 2nd rd picks & four 3rd rd picks ...a total of 14 first & second day selections. Fisher can only show ONE OL'er in all those 14 selections in 3 yrs. Guess I am a little over the top in my demands to fix this sorry butt of an OL.

Last edited:

rams56

Name
Steve
Maybe but that's what I believe. Whatever has been done the results have been just plain bad. Name me one good OL'er that was drafted or brought in or developed by the Fisher & his crew over the last three seasons? Please do not bring up Joe Barksdale who is not a complete good OL'er. Robinson may reach that good grade during this Fisher 4th season but I just do not see any good results as of now. This team has suffered through some real bad OL's. Fisher has one good OL'er in Rodger Saffold he was drafted before Fisher arrived & yes Fisher did resign Saffold but he was not drafted & developed by Fisher's crew. Where is the evidence.

Hard to argue with you...... you make a very good case...... it's hard to predict injuries in football..... if we had given up on Ike (Bruce) after his two years of hamstring issues imagine what we would have missed. So although J.Long had issues before they were minor compared to the 2 Acls in a row. Wells was 31 years old when we signed him not to mention Joseph . Barks leveled off last year or maybe got worse...... but no matter what your philosophy is....draft young lineman, sign high priced free agents or stop gap........our o-line needs to be fixed....... and it will probably be done through all 3 phases. .............It's my opinion the only way this oline gets any better is by adding 5 lineman and let it work itself out....... but either way I figure that we don't draft a wr....in the first round anyway. ......

Go Rams............... ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Or we could continue to draft players like Aaron Donald and build a strong team. We do have more than one pick in this draft. You want to know how teams get better? They accrue talent. You know how they don't accrue talent? By over-drafting "needs".

Since you brought Aaron Donald to my attention last yr....just maybe you could help us find us the new 2015 Aaron Donald but instead of DL make it a OL?;)(y)

Still think that ORT TL Clemmings come close to what we saw in Donald last year? I see where he has slipped just about out of the first round by many.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

You guys know that I have been in front & beating the drum harder than anyone here that Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney & even the departed Tim Barnes would be good candidates & worthy to develop here for future heavy use but even I am running hard on just my limited information & small cameo game recordings with opinions & future hopes here. But when we get into the factual evidence minus the personal opinions & hopes......not much for even me to hang my Rams ball cap on.

Here's what I see here over the past 3 drafts....Fisher has had Five 1st rd picks, Five 2nd rd picks & four 3rd rd picks ...a total of 14 first & second day selections. Fisher can only show ONE OL'er in all those 14 selections in 3 yrs. Guess I am a little over the top in my demands to fix this sorry butt of an OL.
Yeah Boni - I'm not pleased with the results either but I am also not disappointed with how we have gone about addressing team needs. Unfortunately, the O-line has shown the most lack luster results. One thing we can probably all agree on is that some sort of combination of a couple of our previous draft picks - talking to you Jones and Rhaney - a FA acquisition or two, and nailing the draft needs to happen.

I am not going to be enraged if they go after a stud receiver in the first because I don't know the status of a few players - namely BQ, Jones, Rhaney. But I was with you beating the drum last year for O-line help and that is where I would lean this year if I had a say.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There is also no guarantee that Cooper & White are as successful as T Holt & C Johnson. There is no guarantee our OC will know how to play him any better than T Austin. There is no guarantee a bad O-Line will allow their QB an opportunity to hit their shiny new receiver.

I will guarantee if the Rams trade down to the late teens/early 20's and somehow happen to miss a targeted Erving, there will indeed be another quality offensive lineman available, ... AND, they will have a very coveted additional draft pick.
The Rams are a team with several very good receivers, unfortunately they haven't had a real QB in a season and a half. I'd like to see what we have in our last high draft pick WR so many here were clamoring for before he slides further down the depth chart into obscurity. Rather than draft at a position of little need, just how many balls should we project as going to Cooper with Britt, Quick, Bailey, Austin, Givens, Cook, Kendricks, Harkey & our receiving RB's sharing ? If we continue neglecting our OL, how poor will our rush blocking be again ? With little rush threat, how many defensive players are not brought into the box, further hurting covered receivers. There are few guarantees in the NFL, but if we choose to ignore the OL again, I'll guarantee you another poor season. jmo.

There's also no guarantee that another "quality offensive lineman" won't be like Jason Smith or Alex Barron either. I just like this teams chances of hitting on a selection by following their board and selecting the highest rated player (within reason).

And this draft class isn't just about this season. Quick is coming off an injury and entering the final year of his contract as is Givens who is probably already on the trade block as he makes too much money to be the 5th WR/non special teams contributor. Britt was injury free last year, but has an injury/off the field issue history which is why he gets the careful contracts he receives. Austin and Bailey have a couple more seasons left on their deals, but it's not as if the team should pass on a potential upgrade if said player is deemed the BPA.

And I agree that if the team chooses to ignore the OL, there will be problems (There's probably going to be problems anyway if they start too many rookies). But, somehow not using a 1st rounder on an OLineman seems to have been interpreted as ignoring the OLine by some. It's as if free agency, the other draft choices, and the other young players on the roster (one of which may pan out) don't even exist.:confused:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There's also no guarantee that another "quality offensive lineman" won't be like Jason Smith or Alex Barron either. I just like this teams chances of hitting on a selection by following their board and selecting the highest rated player (within reason).

And this draft class isn't just about this season. Quick is coming off an injury and entering the final year of his contract as is Givens who is probably already on the trade block as he makes too much money to be the 5th WR/non special teams contributor. Britt was injury free last year, but has an injury/off the field issue history which is why he gets the careful contracts he receives. Austin and Bailey have a couple more seasons left on their deals, but it's not as if the team should pass on a potential upgrade if said player is deemed the BPA.

And I agree that if the team chooses to ignore the OL, there will be problems (There's probably going to be problems anyway if they start too many rookies). But, somehow not using a 1st rounder on an OLineman seems to have been interpreted as ignoring the OLine by some. It's as if free agency, the other draft choices, and the other young players on the roster (one of which may pan out) don't even exist.:confused:

The Rams may need to sign as many as 4, possibly 5 OL just to get to the more previously established number of 9. The availability of quality OL after the 2'nd round diminishes rapidly where the talent level in a less than deep draft at these positions is mostly stacked near the top. If we only needed one or two of these guys, my feelings on the subject would likely be closer to your own, but that's not the case. And although i'd love to have a Cooper on my team, i'm more of a realist when it comes to needs. The OL is not the only position which requires improvement, but it may be the only unit currently in crisis mode. Missing 60% of your starters and perhaps 50% of your back-up reserve demands attention. And i'm tired of questioning our teams methods for improving this unit for near on a decade. Maybe it requires a crisis to empower management to deal with this situation, but the frustration level is maddening and unnecessary. I'd rather not see the Rams box themselves in again, hiring less than ideal, aging, injury riddled B-level veteran free agents with long term contracts at ridiculous CAP costs. I'm fine with a couple of the better stopgap guys who may need to start for a few games while the rookies get up to speed, they can move back to a reserve role a few weeks after the regular season opens. I've even suggested trading a lower round draft pick to help in the process of bringing in a LG, whether starter, back-up or as a stopgap. The Rams are short on O-Linemen and they are short on draft picks, so it appears to be a great time to trade down with a willing partner to garner a quality player while possibly adding another 2'nd rd. draft pick. Fixing the O-Line doesn't just help the OL, it will make our QB, WR's & rushing attack far more successful. jmo.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't understand why people have to draw a line between BPA and need. In this day and age, especially with analytics, I'm sure scouts and the FO score these players and build their boards with "need" built into their score. Now I personally don't think Cooper or White will fall to us. I think they get to 9 at the most and someone hops over us to draft one of them. It happens every year because every year our perceived need at WR is blown out of proportion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since you brought Aaron Donald to my attention last yr....just maybe you could help us find us the new 2015 Aaron Donald but instead of DL make it a OL?;)(y)

Still think that ORT TL Clemmings come close to what we saw in Donald last year? I see where he has slipped just about out of the first round by many.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Clemmings isn't pro ready like Donald. He's got massive upside down the line but he's not the immediate impact player that Donald was. At OG, he might be able to start early to midway through his rookie year. At OT, he's going to need a year to develop.

There isn't a 2015 Aaron Donald of the OL. The closest thing is Brandon Scherff at OG. He's very pro ready at OG.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams may need to sign as many as 4, possibly 5 OL just to get to the more previously established number of 9. The availability of quality OL after the 2'nd round diminishes rapidly where the talent level in a less than deep draft at these positions is mostly stacked near the top. If we only needed one or two of these guys, my feelings on the subject would likely be closer to your own, but that's not the case. And although i'd love to have a Cooper on my team, i'm more of a realist when it comes to needs. The OL is not the only position which requires improvement, but it may be the only unit currently in crisis mode. Missing 60% of your starters and perhaps 50% of your back-up reserve demands attention. And i'm tired of questioning our teams methods for improving this unit for near on a decade. Maybe it requires a crisis to empower management to deal with this situation, but the frustration level is maddening and unnecessary. I'd rather not see the Rams box themselves in again, hiring less than ideal, aging, injury riddled B-level veteran free agents with long term contracts at ridiculous CAP costs. I'm fine with a couple of the better stopgap guys who may need to start for a few games while the rookies get up to speed, they can move back to a reserve role a few weeks after the regular season opens. I've even suggested trading a lower round draft pick to help in the process of bringing in a LG, whether starter, back-up or as a stopgap. The Rams are short on O-Linemen and they are short on draft picks, so it appears to be a great time to trade down with a willing partner to garner a quality player while possibly adding another 2'nd rd. draft pick. Fixing the O-Line doesn't just help the OL, it will make our QB, WR's & rushing attack far more successful. jmo.

With Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, and Steven Baker already on the roster, 4 -5 more OLinemen will actually get them up to 12 - 13 OLinemen in camp.

And sure, the talent level at most positions diminishes rapidly after round two in most drafts. But, solid non-LT (especially interior) Olinemen can typically be had later than most other positions. And I expect that to be the case this year especially since, this draft class (while weak with blue chippers), it's actually somewhat deep potentially solid Olinemen (Especially interior Olineman).

I have no interest in the team signing injury riddled veteran free agents to a long term contracts at ridiculous cap costs either. But, rather than exaggerate as if that's all that's currently available, I see that there are still some solid vet free agents available that shouldn't break the bank. And I don't let guys like Long, Joseph, and/or Wells (whose injuries didn't really start until he joined the team) make me forget success stories like Harvey Dahl, Todd Steussie, Andy McCollum, & Dave Wohlabaugh.

And again, one can't guarantee that the Olineman the team MIGHT be able to trade down and obtain is going to pan out any more than whom the team might select if they stand pat at #10. And I say might, as a reminder that it takes two to tango (make a deal) and oftentimes teams want to trade down but can't find any takers willing to provide them the compensation they require.

Does the Oline need serious attention?

Of course.

Will the other offensive players perform better with a better Oline?

Sure.

Do the Rams need an Oline of blue chippers to have success on offense?

No. All teams really need are 5 solid to above average starters on the same page and a 2-3 service backups. Gazooks, the so-called best Oline in the NFL in Dallas only has 3 of these so-called blue chippers. LG Ronald Leary & RT Doug Free are average AT BEST and most here would be searching for their replacements if they were Rams.

Will all be lost if Rams don't select an OLineman in round one?

I doubt it as he'd still be just one player and a rookie at that. Plus, I suspect that the team will sign 2-3 free agents and add a couple more Olinemen in the draft to the 7 guys already on the roster.

Last edited:

rams56

Name
Steve
With Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, and Steven Baker already on the roster, 4 -5 more OLinemen will actually get them up to 12 - 13 OLinemen in camp.

And sure, the talent level at most positions diminishes rapidly after round two in most drafts. But, solid non-LT (especially interior) Olinemen can typically be had later than most other positions. And I expect that to be the case this year especially since, this draft class (while weak with blue chippers), it's actually somewhat deep potentially solid Olinemen (Especially interior Olineman).

I have no interest in the team signing injury riddled veteran free agents to a long term contracts at ridiculous cap costs either. But, rather than exaggerate as if that's all that's currently available, I see that there are still some solid vet free agents available that shouldn't break the bank. And I don't let guys like Long, Joseph, and/or Wells (whose injuries didn't really start until he joined the team) make me forget success stories like Harvey Dahl, Todd Steussie, Andy McCollum, & Dave Wohlabaugh.

And again, one can't guarantee that the Olineman the team MIGHT be able to trade down and obtain is going to pan out any more than whom the team might select if they stand pat at #10. And I say might, as a reminder that it takes two to tango (make a deal) and oftentimes teams want to trade down but can't find any takers willing to provide them the compensation they require.

Does the Oline need serious attention?

Of course.

Will the other offensive players perform better with a better Oline?

Sure.

Do the Rams need an Oline of blue chippers to have success on offense?

No. All teams really need are 5 solid to above average starters on the same page and a 2-3 service backups. Gazooks, the so-called best Oline in the NFL in Dallas only has 3 of these so-called blue chippers. LG Ronald Leary & RT Doug Free are average AT BEST and most here would be searching for their replacements if they were Rams.

Will all be lost if Rams don't select an OLineman in round one?

I doubt it as he'd still be just one player and a rookie at that. Plus, I suspect that the team will sign 2-3 free agents and add a couple more Olinemen in the draft to the 7 guys already on the roster.

Nice..... now apply this same argument to the wide receivers. Just to be fair.

Go Rams............. ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Nice..... now apply this same argument to the wide receivers. Just to be fair.

Go Rams............. ;)

For the most part, it can be.

However, in this case there isn't an OLineman worthy of a top 10 selection in this draft. But there are 3 blue chip WRs worthy of the selection, IMO. And the Rams have the 10th pick in this draft to date.

And this is coming from someone who has argued against the 1st round WR or bust crowd the past few years. It just so happens that, this year, a 1st round Olineman or bust crowd has developed. And both groups seem(ed) to ignore that team needs don't influence player availability as each draft class is different.

Last edited:

rams56

Name
Steve
For the most part, it can be.

However, in this case there isn't an OLineman worthy of a top 10 selection in this draft. But there are 3 WRs worthy of the selection, IMO. And the Rams have the 10th pick in this draft to date.

Ok....and last year Watkins in stead of Robinson? See I dabble a bit in preparation of draft evaluation myself.....and we will have to agree to disagree. I feel that Cooper is behind both Watkins and Evans in draft grade and White is even behind Beckham. Sure there is no Robinson Mathews in this draft but I rate Schreff higher than number 16 pick Martin. And I rate Peat and Flowers ahead of Lewan. Sure they are just my projections .... my opinions. ...and I'm sorry that they differ from yours.

Go Rams........... ;)