They keep on coming, two more options ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
... for fixing the O-Line.

Even with so many O-Linemen already being signed, there are still an insane amount of combinations for players we might bring in from free agency and/or draft to fill 3 starting positions, its a bit of an exercise in futility at this time.
Although, ... that's not going to stop me.
icon_cool.gif

First choice (2 vet free agents, 2 rookie draftees) :

LG - Mathis (traded for our 4'th rd. pick) 2 years remaining on contract.

C - De La Puente (free agent vet starter until we get our draftee up to speed) A stopgap starter and future reserve.
Draft Cameron Erving after trading back up into the lower first round, using our 2015 2'nd (# 41) and our newly acquired 2016 2'nd round pick from Philly.

RT - Eric Flowers after trade down in the 1'st. (receive additional 2015 2'nd rd pick)

Second Choice (2 vet free agents, 3 draftees) :

LG - La'el Collins after short trade down in 1'st. (receive additional 2'nd)

C - DeLaPuente/Erving, ... same scenario as choice 1

RT - Daryl Williams (3'rd rd draft pick)
Free agent, ... if healthy, Jake Long, swing OT, (possible swing OT/OG). May very well flip Long & Williams as starters depending on camp competition.

Both choice 1 & 2 bring an additional 2'nd rd pick to use as you will. (DGB )
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing ? No one ?
Or do all mocks around here that wish to fix the O-Line require a top WR ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nothing ? No one ?

Seems like every year the new flashy play toy WR's are the talk of the Ram draft.

In 2012 it was all Justin Blackmon(no longer in the NFL), then in 2013 it was Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings are trying to give this WR away) & Tavon Autsin. Last year all we heard was Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick of the draft????

Now its all Amari Copper or Kevin White ...the song remains the same year in year out.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't think all mocks have a WR. I think if things remain as is it's possible for the draft to go: OT, OG, C, swing OG/OT. Mocks don't usually include a trade down because trades depend on what's there at the time of pick, and it's hard to assume there would be a willing trading partner.

There's a lot of silence because there's no new info. And with the info at hand, I know I don't have much to say because it's depressing to think the Rams are going to start a lot of rookies or obtain known mediocrity -- either choice means another year of OL struggles on a team that claims their identity requires an elite OL foundation. Even the names you float as free agent acquisitions are depressing, they are just being stuck in as stopgaps to avoid starting rookies, not exactly Hall of Famers.

I think if the Rams miss out on signing Barks/Blalock/Wis, people will have a lot more to say about your ideas since those will be some of the only options left and we'll be desperate for creative ideas like yours to salvage the situation as best as can be.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Personally I just don't know how many times I can kick this dead horse, they desperately need to draft O Line early and often. (and draft winners)

"everybody knows that" (stolen from that commercial)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Seems like every year the new flashy play toy WR's are the talk of the Ram draft.

In 2012 it was all Justin Blackmon(no longer in the NFL), then in 2013 it was Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings are trying to give this WR away) & Tavon Autsin. Last year all we heard was Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick of the draft????

Now its all Amari Copper or Kevin White ...the song remains the same year in year out.

This year, I think the WR situation is different.... it's entirely possible 1 of them (but very unlikely both) fall to us at #10, and they would be far-and-away the BPA picks over any OL'er available, or anyone else for that matter (even MM). The situation is similar to our pick last year at #13: everyone thought we were crazy to take Donald, since DL wasn't a need, but he was such a crazy talent that we had to take him no matter what.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This year, I think the WR situation is different.... it's entirely possible 1 of them (but very unlikely both) fall to us at #10, and they would be far-and-away the BPA picks over any OL'er available, or anyone else for that matter (even MM). The situation is similar to our pick last year at #13: everyone thought we were crazy to take Donald, since DL wasn't a need, but he was such a crazy talent that we had to take him no matter what.

Yep we keep on wining the BPA awards but keep having one bad loosing season after another getting worse season by season....I do not believe in the BPA equals to a winning team.

I do not see any evidence of a winning season around here. But boy those Best Pick Available Awards sure look good. I think it may be time to change something around here & FIX the Problem here going into Fishers 4th season now. Rams pass receiving units are not weak nor are they a problem.

Could we just do one draft where we use the draft to fix the teams most glaring weak unit ? Then Fisher could return back to going after the BPA awards again in 2016 draft. Fisher just might find out he could have a winning season by doing this.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me that the rams trade back and take Cam Erving, he is big and versatile. I think that the rams will at least resign Barksdale so rt will be taken care of and maybe a cheaper guy like Blalock. that would surround Erving with vets to lean on but would give the rams a large powerful oline.
LT Robinson
LG Blalock
C Erving
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Yep we keep on wining the BPA awards but keep having one bad loosing season after another getting worse season by season....I do not believe in the BPA equals to a winning team.

I do not see any evidence of a winning season around here. But boy those Best Pick Available Awards sure look good. I think it may be time to change something around here & FIX the Problem here going into Fishers 4th season now. Rams pass receiving units are not weak nor are they a problem.

Could we just do one draft where we use the draft to fix the teams most glaring weak unit ? Then Fisher could return back to going after the BPA awards again in 2016 draft. Fisher just might find out he could have a winning season by doing this.
The consensus rankings just aren't top loaded with OL talent this year.

reference: http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2015.asp

BPA aside, I think we all agree that an OL heavy draft is what we need. It looks to me like we probably could (should) move down even, and pick up extra draft pick(s) that we can sure use, to do that. The first OL currently ranked on the draftek big board is Scherff at 10.

I really like Cameron Erving because of his utility and he is ranked all the way down at 33. If we could pull of a trifecta of something like a Fisher, Erving, Dismukes would not be at all exciting but would for sure go a long way to shoring that line up for the future.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I generally find myself in agreement with you, BonifayRam, but this is an exception.

It is my opinion that taking BPA at #10 and successfully fixing our OL are not mutually exclusive choices.

Thanks to sufficient remaining FA dollars plus picks 2-4, we should be able to finish that OL just fine. And to playoff caliber standards, at that.

As you know, this draft class dovetails with our needs beautifully.

So I currently strongly favor drafting that elite WR, if possible, and let the draft come to us regarding the last remaining OL need after we're done in FA.

And still take a QB in the 3rd, as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I generally find myself in agreement with you, BonifayRam, but this is an exception.

It is my opinion that taking BPA at #10 and successfully fixing our OL are not mutually exclusive choices.

Thanks to sufficient remaining FA dollars plus picks 2-4, we should be able to finish that OL just fine. And to playoff caliber standards, at that.

As you know, this draft class dovetails with our needs beautifully.

So I currently strongly favor drafting that elite WR, if possible, and let the draft come to us regarding the last remaining OL need after we're done in FA.

And still take a QB in the 3rd, as well.

Yep we are pretty close in our opinions over this pasty year.

I know one thing that Fisher's poor yearly OL units have cost this team many wins for many seasons. I see NO evidence that Fisher can or has the desire to build a strong OL as a priority.

The addition of a receiver even like Cooper to go with present receivers very young Tavon Austin, Britt, Jared Cook, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick & Givens does very little to help this team win when your OL has been & is pathetically weak. Just means Nothing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The consensus rankings just aren't top loaded with OL talent this year.

reference: http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2015.asp

BPA aside, I think we all agree that an OL heavy draft is what we need. It looks to me like we probably could (should) move down even, and pick up extra draft pick(s) that we can sure use, to do that. The first OL currently ranked on the draftek big board is Scherff at 10.

I really like Cameron Erving because of his utility and he is ranked all the way down at 33. If we could pull of a trifecta of something like a Fisher, Erving, Dismukes would not be at all exciting but would for sure go a long way to shoring that line up for the future.

Of the big three FSU's interior OL'ers I like Cam so much more than those two OG's. I would not draft neither of those FSU OG's. Cam is what Bou loves he is versatile & Cam could give us a OL'er who could start @ OLG or OC & could be an emergency back up to Greg Robinson. So Cam makes real good sense to me in those areas.

I not a big fan of OT Jake Fisher myself. I like Peat, Clemmings & Collins much more.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Of the big three FSU's interior OL'ers I like Cam so much more than those two OG's. I would not draft neither of those FSU OG's. Cam is what Bou loves he is versatile & Cam could give us a OL'er who could start @ OLG or OC & could be an emergency back up to Greg Robinson. So Cam makes real good sense to me in those areas.

I not a big fan of OT Jake Fisher myself. I like Peat, Clemmings & Collins much more.
I like Jake Fisher, as a pure OT, either side, if we could have him a little later. I agree on Cam, he would be my number 1 target at C/G, but he can't play OT in the NFL, so we agree on that I believe.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Do we know that the Rams have gone BPA on their draft boards each year? Perhaps they should simply draft the highest rated QB on their board since that has been the main problem. The draft may be a bit of a crapshoot, but I can't help but to believe that teams increase their chances of missing by not following their ratings and reaching for needs via lesser rated players.

Nothing ? No one ?

Curious. Any names of players that teams might be trading up for the Rams to acquire an additional 2nd rounder? And why wouldn't the Rams want that player?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I see NO evidence that Fisher can or has the desire to build a strong OL as a priority.
Isn't this a little over the top Boni? The 2nd overall pick last year and trying to grab another one in the 1st, going after Long, signing pro bowler Scott Wells, offering Saffold the second most money next to the ridiculous Raiduh offer, two fourth rounders in Watkins and Jones, am I missing someone?

You can say that several haven't worked out as well as we'd all like but I think it is clear that the desire is there. Maybe it's not as high as many of us would like but we have spent the resources to have a very good line and if three of those resources didn't go down to injuries, we wouldn't likely be having this conversation.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
... for fixing the O-Line.

Even with so many O-Linemen already being signed, there are still an insane amount of combinations for players we might bring in from free agency and/or draft to fill 3 starting positions, its a bit of an exercise in futility at this time.
Although, ... that's not going to stop me.
icon_cool.gif

First choice (2 vet free agents, 2 rookie draftees) :

LG - Mathis (traded for our 4'th rd. pick) 2 years remaining on contract.

C - De La Puente (free agent vet starter until we get our draftee up to speed) A stopgap starter and future reserve.
Draft Cameron Erving after trading back up into the lower first round, using our 2015 2'nd (# 41) and our newly acquired 2016 2'nd round pick from Philly.

RT - Eric Flowers after trade down in the 1'st. (receive additional 2015 2'nd rd pick)

Second Choice (2 vet free agents, 3 draftees) :

LG - La'el Collins after short trade down in 1'st. (receive additional 2'nd)

C - DeLaPuente/Erving, ... same scenario as choice 1

RT - Daryl Williams (3'rd rd draft pick)
Free agent, ... if healthy, Jake Long, swing OT, (possible swing OT/OG). May very well flip Long & Williams as starters depending on camp competition.

Both choice 1 & 2 bring an additional 2'nd rd pick to use as you will. (DGB )
jmo.
I like your scenario's.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Curious. Any names of players that teams might be trading up for the Rams to acquire an additional 2nd rounder? And why wouldn't the Rams want that player?

1) Teams moving up to #10 could be seeking any number of WR, DE, etc., ... depends on who remains as available. Hell, maybe even Mariota. The Rams could possibly acquire more than a 2'nd rounder, the options could be multiple.

2) If the Rams target Erving, trading down from the 1'st or trading up from the 2'nd seems the best method imo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
1) Teams moving up to #10 could be seeking any number of WR, DE, etc., ... depends on who remains as available. Hell, maybe even Mariota. The Rams could possibly acquire more than a 2'nd rounder, the options could be multiple.

2) If the Rams target Erving, trading down from the 1'st or trading up from the 2'nd seems the best method imo.
I think there might be quite a few teams that could be willing to move up for, and players worth(to other teams) moving up for. Of course, like you said it depends on the options available. This discussion has come up a few times, and I am on the fence, depending on who is available to us. In either case, if we sit pat, I don't think we have to go OL at #10 to do that, if a player falls to us that is too good to pass up, BPA wise.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

This is what I was trying to advocate more or less. I'm not set on names specifically yet except I like Erving and I'd like us to land the best pure OT and Center available. I just have a feeling though that Erving is going to shoot up quite a bit from now and draft day so truth be told if we really really love him we may just have to stay put (or move down only a little) to get him.

lockdnram21

Legend
the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me that the rams trade back and take Cam Erving, he is big and versatile. I think that the rams will at least resign Barksdale so rt will be taken care of and maybe a cheaper guy like Blalock. that would surround Erving with vets to lean on but would give the rams a large powerful oline.
LT Robinson
LG Blalock
C Erving
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale
LT Robinson
LG Scherff
C Wiz
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

If Robinson progressed we would have a top 5 offensive line