They just can't stop talking about Aaron Donald.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/24/aaron-donald-is-the-no-1-interior-defender-in-the-nfl/

usatsi_8236279.jpg

Aaron Donald is the No. 1 interior defender in the NFL

By: Alex Alarcon |

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald will be entering his third year in the NFL, and he’s already widely considered as one of the best in the league. Slowly but surely, opposing teams and fans learned the name Aaron Donald. Now, he’s getting praised once again for his stellar play over his first two NFL seasons.

Aaron Donald not concerned about contract, focused on 2016

According to Sports Illustrated’s Doug Farrar, who ranked the best interior D-linemen, Donald is the best in the business.

“Put simply, there is no player in the NFL who’s more disruptive on a down-to-down basis between the tackles than Donald. He was clearly a top-five talent in the 2014 draft out of Pitt, and yet he fell to the Rams at No. 13.”

Even though Donald is one of the smaller defensive tackles in the league, it can also be used to his advantage. Ever since his rookie year, Donald has been double-teamed consistently.

“Two years into his career, he has used his undersized frame to his advantage: At 6’ 1″ and 285 pounds, he gains ferocious leverage at the snap by getting under the pads of blockers and using his upper-body strength to move them back. Add in his quickness and pursuit speed, and there are long stretches when he’s just about unblockable, even though he faces double-teams on a regular basis.”

This past week, Donald was also ranked the No. 4 best player in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus. Sorry J.J. Watt, it seems as though Donald may be the start of a new era for the Defensive Player of the Year award in the NFL.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that dude hung on to Donald so long he got ripped off his feet. Impressive.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Best player in the league. Period. My fave pick since.......maybe ever. Sign him to a 10 year contract now and be done with it, haha.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Best player in the league. Period. My fave pick since.......maybe ever. Sign him to a 10 year contract now and be done with it, haha.

It's going to be tricky, players of his caliber almost always want to test the market because they don't have the huge contracts coming out of college. Now he can get 100MIL plus and he and his agent know it. If a deal isn't done soon look for him to test the market, and someone will overpay to get him.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's going to be tricky, players of his caliber almost always want to test the market because they don't have the huge contracts coming out of college. Now he can get 100MIL plus and he and his agent know it. If a deal isn't done soon look for him to test the market, and someone will overpay to get him.
Yeah, I was kinda playin around, but I agree we need to lock him up if possible before the number goes up. I do not fear AD diminishing or backing off after getting paid. He just seems like a special player and person that I would want to build my franchise around. I am probably being optimistic and naive when I say this, but I feel like AD is more loyal than most and would like to stay with this team. It would be devastating to lose him IMO. He is a generational player and we need to keep him at any cost.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I wish people would stop comparing Aaron Donald to JJ Watt. You can easily argue for who is better, but it's not that simple. They play different positions and are different types of players.

JJ is a powerful man child and crazy athletic. While AD uses his finesse and skills to be the best DT. Some stupid PFF ranking doesn't mean one is "better" than the other.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Alec got in there pretty damn fast as well when he hit the hole. Glad our core is pretty young. Keeping them together is the key.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, I was kinda playin around, but I agree we need to lock him up if possible before the number goes up. I do not fear AD diminishing or backing off after getting paid. He just seems like a special player and person that I would want to build my franchise around. I am probably being optimistic and naive when I say this, but I feel like AD is more loyal than most and would like to stay with this team. It would be devastating to lose him IMO. He is a generational player and we need to keep him at any cost.

I feel the same way, he doesn't strike me as any risk to let his effort drop off with the big money. Some guys just give you that feeling but not him.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I wish people would stop comparing Aaron Donald to JJ Watt. You can easily argue for who is better, but it's not that simple. They play different positions and are different types of players.

Agreed. He's more similar to Geno Atkins than anyone else.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“Two years into his career, he has used his undersized frame to his advantage: At 6’ 1″ and 285 pounds, he gains ferocious leverage at the snap by getting under the pads of blockers and using his upper-body strength to move them back.
At 6 Ft. 1, isn't that the same size as DeMarco Farr!? A lot similar here!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, this falls into the crossing the bridge before we come to it category, but it's a fun topic.

I'm kinda optimistic about our chances of extending Donald, and here's why...

He's gonna get his $100+ million contract whether he stays or goes.
Demoff has a history of offering fair contracts and Donald will definitely not be the first to be low balled.
Demoff will have had 4 years to prepare for this signing, so it's very likely to happen.
He's not primarily motivated by money, anyway, as Jenkins was.
He loves his teammates and coaches.
He knows that his fellow DL teammates enhance his ability to succeed here.
Who wouldn't prefer LA to live in over almost any other city? C'mon...
I really believe that the Rams will have become a playoff team by extension time. That's gotta be attractive to any FA.

So, by my process of elimination logic, I think we've got a great shot at keeping Donald. Teams just don't let such players get away. And there are many reasons why the Rams will look attractive to Donald, too.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Well, this falls into the crossing the bridge before we come to it category, but it's a fun topic.

I'm kinda optimistic about our chances of extending Donald, and here's why...

He's gonna get his $100+ million contract whether he stays or goes.
Demoff has a history of offering fair contracts and Donald will definitely not be the first to be low balled.
Demoff will have had 4 years to prepare for this signing, so it's very likely to happen.
He's not primarily motivated by money, anyway, as Jenkins was.
He loves his teammates and coaches.
He knows that his fellow DL teammates enhance his ability to succeed here.
Who wouldn't prefer LA to live in over almost any other city? C'mon...
I really believe that the Rams will have become a playoff team by extension time. That's gotta be attractive to any FA.

So, by my process of elimination logic, I think we've got a great shot at keeping Donald. Teams just don't let such players get away. And there are many reasons why the Rams will look attractive to Donald, too.

Have to disagree to a point...Primary might not be the importance of money, but it's sure important..Teammates ??? Sure it has importance in the decision making process...Living in LA...Last on my list of priorities...MONEY is still at the top of the list. IMO...Height give them a small hometown discount, but I wouldn't hold my breath..AGENT..Big factor...Some of these guys let their agent do all the leg work and get them their best deal...We'll see when the time comes...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
AD is not going anywhere. He's got 2 years left on his contract with an option for a 5th year. If he gets close to hitting free agency then you franchise him as many times it takes till you get a new contract done. Yes he's going to cost a ton of money but he's worth it. You guy's don't need to worry about this right now it will get taken care of in the future.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is just a player that you don't let go of....This guy will be a Pro Bowler for as many years that he's in the NFL. He is almost this generation's Merlin Olsen (Olsen went to 14 Pro Bowls in 15 years)

I still can't freakin we got him at #13 when we did. (Best player in that draft, imo)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He is just a player that you don't let go of....This guy will be a Pro Bowler for as many years that he's in the NFL. He is almost this generation's Merlin Olsen (Olsen went to 14 Pro Bowls in 15 years)

I still can't freakin we got him at #13 when we did. (Best player in that draft, imo)
I dont mind the GRob pick, but imagine if we had got both Mack and Donald! Thatd be even more insane. Get AD and our Long replacement. As long as GRob progresses this year Ill be happy.

AD is my favorite ram draft pick in....hell, I think just about ever.