There's a QB Slide... and then there's BS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The QB slide is a legit and needed play in the NFL. Most running QBs have it down to a science and are able to protect themselves as a result. That's what it's for and I wholeheartedly think that it's a protection the QBs need and deserve.

But...

That fucking Oompa Loompa we saw yesterday uses the slide in a totally unsportsmanlike manner.

A QB is supposed to give himself up with the slide so that the defenders have time to let up and not deliver a shot to the QB.

Wilson does not do this... he has perfected the art of trying to bait the refs into having to call unnecessary roughness on the hits he takes when he does the QB slide. It's BS though, and I believe he should be called out for this by the league and not offered the protection the slide affords when he tries his little fucking gimmick. Watch him... he'll wait until the defender has to commit to hitting him... and THEN... he goes into his slide. He clearly does this on purpose and I'm sick of seeing it. We watched it yesterday.

He's gonna get more than a high ankle sprain from this puss ass shit. Somebody's gonna take his head off,,, and as far as I'm concerned,,, he'll deserve every bit of it.

Stop the madness GODhell... this shit is bush league.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Didn't the NFL change the rules about this during this past offseason?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hate the slide rule. It shouldn't exist.
It's my opinion, that once you take off past the LOS, you become a player just like a RB.
I've seen too many QB's abuse the rule and get the call their way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
4c1b1a6ca575469b8c510463dcb13a2b.png

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I say....but I'm a defensive guy....they can late slide all they want, but you gotta make them pay the price...the number of bad throws by QB's AFTER getting hit is unreal...it's worth it, imo, to take a shot at a Brady, Brees, or Rodgers if they wanna mess around and slide late...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for posting this. (y)

I know the rule is written so as to not allow what I'm accusing Wilson of doing. That doesn't change the fact that he's doing it though. It's way too subjective for a ref to make that call with as fast as it happens. Especially when Wilson intentionally waits to the very last possible millisecond to start his slide. Refs are told to protect the QBs so much these days... and if the QB is a so called superstar, they lean even stronger on giving that QB the benefit of the doubt.

My shecock hating ass is probably just a tad jaded when it comes to Wilson and his antics. However, I really feel that Wilson and Co are forcing the Refs to make judgement calls on his late slides knowing full well that he will get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. The rule is written to prevent it,,, but the reality is that he still gets away with it and he's doing it by design. I'm convinced of that anyway LOL.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Thanks for posting this. (y)

I know the rule is written so as to not allow what I'm accusing Wilson of doing. That doesn't change the fact that he's doing it though. It's way too subjective for a ref to make that call with as fast as it happens. Especially when Wilson intentionally waits to the very last possible millisecond to start his slide. Refs are told to protect the QBs so much these days... and if the QB is a so called superstar, they lean even stronger on giving that QB the benefit of the doubt.

My shecock hating ass is probably just a tad jaded when it comes to Wilson and his antics. However, I really feel that Wilson and Co are forcing the Refs to make judgement calls on his late slides knowing full well that he will get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. The rule is written to prevent it,,, but the reality is that he still gets away with it and he's doing it by design. I'm convinced of that anyway LOL.
Your not alone. Those late slide piss me off.

Q729

Legend
Didn't one of his slides result in a penalty even though he was clearly hit shoulder to shoulder?

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Yeah, this pissed me off last night.

The first one on Tree was a late slide, but it was almost excusable... There was another slide where he waits until Barron is alongside him angling into him before he slides, and Barron does the smart thing and avoids him. Total BS. He got an extra yard out of it and would have likely drawn a penalty if Barron had hit him, but the slide was so clearly started after the defender had the opportunity to launch on him.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The QB slide is a legit and needed play in the NFL. Most running QBs have it down to a science and are able to protect themselves as a result. That's what it's for and I wholeheartedly think that it's a protection the QBs need and deserve.

But...

That freaking Oompa Loompa we saw yesterday uses the slide in a totally unsportsmanlike manner.

A QB is supposed to give himself up with the slide so that the defenders have time to let up and not deliver a shot to the QB.

Wilson does not do this... he has perfected the art of trying to bait the refs into having to call unnecessary roughness on the hits he takes when he does the QB slide. It's BS though, and I believe he should be called out for this by the league and not offered the protection the slide affords when he tries his little freaking gimmick. Watch him... he'll wait until the defender has to commit to hitting him... and THEN... he goes into his slide. He clearly does this on purpose and I'm sick of seeing it. We watched it yesterday.

He's gonna get more than a high ankle sprain from this puss ass crap. Somebody's gonna take his head off,,, and as far as I'm concerned,,, he'll deserve every bit of it.

Stop the madness GODhell... this crap is bush league.

Before I get to my question, let me say that I don't like the rule. I don't think the QB should be protected if it his intent is to gain yardage running and not passing....ie. a designed run play for the QB.

But, regarding Wilson, how do you know his intentions? How do we know that he is sliding when he sees a defender approaching, like any other QB would?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wilson does not do this... he has perfected the art of trying to bait the refs into having to call unnecessary roughness on the hits he takes when he does the QB slide.

Agree.

Ogletree's hit was probably a deserved penalty, but damn... he had just a split second to adjust his approach.

Wussell is definitely late in his slides. I don't wish injury on any player, but he needs a good concussion doing that shit. Maybe then he'll learn.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Wussell Wilson is a dangerous runner, and he should be treated like a running back, regardless if he's trying to slide or not.

But also, not only does he go into the slide at the last minute to bait the penalty call, but he also rolls away from the defender as well, to absorb the hit that he KNOWS is coming.

I would instruct my defense to take his head off, and offer a bounty for doing so. Good thing we have Greg Williams, right? ;)

TexasRam

Legend
I respect Wilsons game. He's living proof that a huge part of the QB position is from the neck up. His patience, ability to read a defense and make subtle moves to buy time is a clinic each week.

He's a midget out there.

He's also a humble guy and I respect that.

But yea as a Ram fan those last second slides have me screaming on game day.

Wilson is Aaron Rodgers without the big arm. Tempo, timing, legs, vision, pump fakes, deception. Ability to buy time and change the game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before I get to my question, let me say that I don't like the rule. I don't think the QB should be protected if it his intent is to gain yardage running and not passing....ie. a designed run play for the QB.

But, regarding Wilson, how do you know his intentions? How do we know that he is sliding when he sees a defender approaching, like any other QB would?

My eyes tell me so.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Exactly. If Donald doesn't get credit for a sack because that prick was considered a "RB" on the play, then on those plays, that prick shouldn't be afforded the slide rule at all.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
My eyes tell me so.

Even though the slide was a little late, Alec definately earned his...To wit, shoulder to shoulder has nothing to do with this rule....Any hit is illegal...Wussell is the worst offender I can remember , can't believe anybody could slide much later or beg for a hit as he does...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have seen QBs try to slide directly into the legs of oncoming defenders forcing them to fall into contact on the QB. The defender cannot avoid the contact if they have established momentum and have their legs taken out from under them.

Debacled

Starter
Agree.

Ogletree's hit was probably a deserved penalty, but damn... he had just a split second to adjust his approach.

Wussell is definitely late in his slides. I don't wish injury on any player, but he needs a good concussion doing that crap. Maybe then he'll learn.

Thats part of the problem right here, the reason they called it a penalty was for a "hit to the head and neck area." Essentially that means they conceded that he slid late, but it didn't matter since they were under the impression that Tree made forceable contact to an illegal area on a "defenseless" player. Which is crap, because it was shoulder to shoulder.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I hate the slide rule. It shouldn't exist.
It's my opinion, that once you take off past the LOS, you become a player just like a RB.
I've seen too many QB's abuse the rule and get the call their way.
Agree 100% with you. What the hell is the defense supposed to do?