There Goes Gurley- 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fame is fleeting.

Last time Gurley was great was when the team was called the St Louis Rams. He started last season as the toast of LA with his own Hardy's/Carl Jr.'s Burger commercial...Videos on Hollywood and Vine and touted as the next bright star in the City of Angels.

Then 2016 happened.

As fast as he was celebrated, he became the punching dummy for a team that helped get a coach fired. He was getting hit three yards behind the LOS because the Oline wasn't doing it's job. But Gurley himself had opportunities that a year earlier would have taken advantage of with superior vision the 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year displayed. Those interviews morphed from happy go-lucky to embattled....optimistic to sullen. He disappointed all those who had glowingly predicted Gurley as the heir-apparent to Adrian Peterson as one suffering from a sophomore slump if they were being charitable. He was "just a fluke" if they weren't.

The 2017 season looms and no TV analysts are enthusiastically paying attention to Todd Gurley. He is not a top 10 fantasy player on anyone's list. Quietly, he has gotten bigger and stronger. In training camp he is showing the amazing cutting ability that marked the 2015 rookie campaign. He has a Pro Browl LT Andrew Whittworth leading the way and an actual Full Back to help. He has a more experienced QB that also has more weapons than last year. Weapons, one of which is Gurley himself, that run precise routes and catch the ball.

No more stacked boxes for Todd. If this isn't exciting you, you are dead.

Watch Todd again and get that thrill again. 2017 is going to be special.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39s-OFEwHw

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I too believe that Todd Gurley is in for a much better season. Kudos to Snead/McVay for making good decisions to get TG serious upgraded help......

#1-The Hiring of Wade as DC bringing in a new 34 D.
#2-McVay hiring of a new like minded OC.
#3-The hiring of Kromer to coach a newly refurbished OL.
#4-Retaining coach Bones as our ST coach.

Drafting of FB Sam Rogers may turn out to be the biggest assistance to TG than we ever thought originally when we heard his name flash upon our ED screen. More moves made too....

Roster removal high cap cost $$ veterans who under-performed & not fitting future plans i.e.TE Kendrick, DE Wm Hayes, DE Eugene Sims, 4 OL'ers GRob, T.Barnes, D.Rhaney, D.Arkin & RB Tre Mason. Relinquishment of Ram UFA's WR's Britt & Quick, S TJ McDonald, RB Cunningham QB Keenum & NT Thomas.

Offensive UFA signings/ 2 previous Pro Bowl grade OL'ers & Robert Woods as our #1 WR. Utilization of Rams top 3 draft picks offensive sure handed receivers. Re-assessment of 2 key young OL'ers into different posts. New arrangement/lineup of the starting OL involving 4 out of 5 starting OL'ers.

All the above with TG standing center of all of this ......this should be a remarkable coming out party for Ram fans & .....all will work to get the most out of this super back 3rd NFL season..

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think we're gonna miss TJ...he already knocked out Jay Ajayi with a concussion. He's a tone setter....
:dizzy:
Need to change his name to Friendly Fire :shooting:McDonald!

I am fine with Mo Alexander he will win you over :love:& you will soon forget TJ.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am fine with Mo Alexander he will win you over :love:& you will soon forget TJ.
At least Ajay was a running back. LOL

I love Mo...I just think Mo and McDonald is a better combo than Mo and Joyner or Mo and Davis....Hell, I'd rather see Mo and Barron at safeties....lol....speed and power in the middle of the D baby!

bnw

Pro Bowler
Fame is fleeting.

Last time Gurley was great was when the team was called the St Louis Rams. He started last season as the toast of LA with his own Hardy's/Carl Jr.'s Burger commercial...Videos on Hollywood and Vine and touted as the next bright star in the City of Angels.

Then 2016 happened.

As fast as he was celebrated, he became the punching dummy for a team that helped get a coach fired. He was getting hit three yards behind the LOS because the Oline wasn't doing it's job. But Gurley himself had opportunities that a year earlier would have taken advantage of with superior vision the 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year displayed. Those interviews morphed from happy go-lucky to embattled....optimistic to sullen. He disappointed all those who had glowingly predicted Gurley as the heir-apparent to Adrian Peterson as one suffering from a sophomore slump if they were being charitable. He was "just a fluke" if they weren't.

The 2017 season looms and no TV analysts are enthusiastically paying attention to Todd Gurley. He is not a top 10 fantasy player on anyone's list. Quietly, he has gotten bigger and stronger. In training camp he is showing the amazing cutting ability that marked the 2015 rookie campaign. He has a Pro Browl LT Andrew Whittworth leading the way and an actual Full Back to help. He has a more experienced QB that also has more weapons than last year. Weapons, one of which is Gurley himself, that run precise routes and catch the ball.

No more stacked boxes for Todd. If this isn't exciting you, you are dead.

Watch Todd again and get that thrill again. 2017 is going to be special.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39s-OFEwHw

I hope you're right!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Todd is the elite back the world forgot about. He's one of the biggest reasons that McVay has settled into an amazing opportunity.

I mean think about it... Everyone in the media and even some of the faithful are busy talkin $#!t about Gurley and Goff, but the fact is a new head coach rolled in to a situation with two high-end talents in the backfield along with a young OL roster and a solid defensive core of players. Most new coaches inherit a steaming pile of excrement.

If the passing game clicks even at a respectable level watch the F out.

jap

Legend
Better think again. The Gurley Express! will face tons of stacked boxes until . . . Jared and his fly guys give opposing defensive coordinators reasons to stop keying so much on Todd. NFL DCs are not media guys: they are focused on reality, and they know damn well what Todd can do to their defensive schemes if he is not properly accounted for.

This no different than 1999 when the unknown Kurt Warner had to prove himself while DCs stacked the box against the known threat, Marshall Faulk. When Robert Woods & Cooper Kupp are constantly at the receiving end of scoring tosses from Jared, when Tavon is moonwalking into the end zone after juking out the opposing secondary, then DCs will very reluctantly shift their over keying on Todd to a more balanced defensive scheme, and not a moment before.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better think again. The Gurley Express! will face tons of stacked boxes until . . . Jared and his fly guys give opposing defensive coordinators reasons to stop keying so much on Todd. NFL DCs are not media guys: they are focused on reality, and they know damn well what Todd can do to their defensive schemes if he is not properly accounted for.

This no different than 1999 when the unknown Kurt Warner had to prove himself while DCs stacked the box against the known threat, Marshall Faulk. When Robert Woods & Cooper Kupp are constantly at the receiving end of scoring tosses from Jared, when Tavon is moonwalking into the end zone after juking out the opposing secondary, then DCs will very reluctantly shift their over keying on Todd to a more balanced defensive scheme, and not a moment before.
Enter Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods getting thrown to by slinging Jared Goff! Higbee and Everett will have their chances as well. Better Oline will give Goff more time to shred them, AND THERE GOES GURLEY!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a really big deal, the weight he lost before last year hurt as much as anything else.

I do think him working his @$$ off in the gym all offseason is a big positive. Only concern for me there is don't get too big up top like we saw with Steven Jackson. Just my opinion of course, but I always felt like Jackson got way too big up top and lost that balance that made him special early in his career (early on the dude was all legs, balance and lower body power), and would go down if someone touched his damn shoe strings.

Just keep it balanced with the legs and core, which it does look like Gurley is doing.

I want to see somewhere around 1200 yards for him at a minimum. And if he can be a passing game matchup... As @Rams43 would say "hot damn!"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I do think him working his @$$ off in the gym all offseason is a big positive. Only concern for me there is don't get too big up top like we saw with Steven Jackson. Just my opinion of course, but I always felt like Jackson got way too big up top and lost that balance that made him special early in his career (early on the dude was all legs, balance and lower body power), and would go down if someone touched his damn shoe strings.

Just keep it balanced with the legs and core, which it does look like Gurley is doing.

I want to see somewhere around 1200 yards for him at a minimum. And if he can be a passing game matchup... As @Rams43 would say "hot damn!"

He is a good pass catcher and I don't know why he wasn't used that way since the OC's we have had loved the dink and dunk. You'd think they would have targeted him more.

I'd like to see 40-50 catches

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just read a Day 5 Training Camp Report in the section for Field Observations:

* Tight End Gerald Everett showcased his strength as a blocker on offense making way for running back Todd Gurley on several plays throughout the day.

UNLEASH YOUR GURLEY!

PS: bye Corey Harkey

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm in the "wait and see" category. I expect ZERO out of this team at this point. I can't even watch Gurley's 2015 highlights... :cry:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Todd is the elite back the world forgot about. He's one of the biggest reasons that McVay has settled into an amazing opportunity.

I mean think about it... Everyone in the media and even some of the faithful are busy talkin $#!t about Gurley and Goff, but the fact is a new head coach rolled in to a situation with two high-end talents in the backfield along with a young OL roster and a solid defensive core of players. Most new coaches inherit a steaming pile of excrement.

If the passing game clicks even at a respectable level watch the F out.

I'm right there with you Merlin! They can keep smacking on the Gurley man and watch him run to stardom in 2017.

For Those that have Forgotten about him...
1a90a7f0ba24b938271fca6d23b1d580ca09874c_hq.gif

back-fb-cover-photo-550x203.png

todd-gurley-011115-getty-ftrjpg_k3yhhb2ijxpq17cqttullpn2i.jpg

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Wow, last year made me forget how FAST he is. Did he lose a step or something??

Last edited: