There are signs that Jared Goff might be much improved/LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There are signs that second-year Rams QB Jared Goff might be much improved

upload_2017-6-12_7-50-4.png

Rams quarterback Jared Goff passes during practice June 5. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press)

By Gary Klein

Three weeks ago, when the Rams began organized team activity workouts, quarterback Jared Goff was asked to assess the change in offensive systems from last season.

“It’s way different,” he said.

That was no surprise: The Rams have a new coach in Sean McVay, a new quarterback-friendly scheme and ostensibly a new vibe.

As the Rams progressed through their 10 OTA workouts, Goff also looked different.

“More confident,” receiver Mike Thomas said. “More relaxed. More poised in the pocket.”

The real evaluation, of course, will not begin until the NFL season starts in September.

So Goff still has three months to prepare for the scrutiny.

But as the Rams get ready for this week’s mandatory minicamp, there are signs — some obvious and some subtle — that Goff could be much improved in his second season.

The No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft has added a few pounds of muscle. He also made more decisive choices and throws during the final week of OTAs.

During one workout, he connected with receiver Pharoh Cooper on a slant route for a short touchdown, fired a pass into a seam that receiver Nelson Spruce turned into a long scoring play and zipped multiple mid- to long-range completions to Thomas, Robert Woods and others.

He was especially adept executing two-minute drills, and appeared more confident taking charge in and out of the huddle.

“We have a lot of confidence in what he’s done,” McVay said, adding, “He’s getting better every single day and he’s definitely commanded that role.”

Goff, 22, has “a little swagger to him,” new left tackle Andrew Whitworth said.

“He has kind of taken ownership and is trying hard to become that franchise quarterback that so many teams look for. You can tell that’s his goal and his mission.”

Goff did not look the part of a franchise quarterback last season.

He was inactive for the season opener at San Francisco and then sat for eight more games as Case Keenum’s backup.

He started the final seven games and the Rams lost them all, including two in the final minutes.

He completed 54.6% of his passes, five for touchdowns, with seven interceptions. He was sacked 26 times and was pressured relentlessly.

“It’s only seven games,” Goff said after the finale against the Arizona Cardinals, “but it’s enough to know what I did well and what I didn’t do well and what I need to work on.”

Goff knew that he would have a new coach and offensive system this season, but he did not know at the time that it would be McVay.

As part of McVay’s interview with the Rams, the quarterback went through tape with the young coach, who turned 31 shortly after he was hired in January. Goff came away encouraged by the possible opportunity of working together.

“Coming out of that meeting,” he said later, “I was like, ‘If they pick him, I’m going to be really excited.’”

In February, Goff followed the lead of Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and other elite NFL passers and enlisted help from quarterback trainers Tom House and Justin Dedeaux. During sessions in Newport Beach, they helped refine his mechanics.

Almost immediately after free-agent wide receiver Woods signed with the Rams in March, Goff and the former USC standout started working out together. Goff also threw passes to then-draft hopeful Cooper Kupp — who is represented by the same agency as the quarterback — before the Rams selected Kupp in the third round.

The results of the extra work have been evident.

Goff will not have an opportunity to reestablish and improve timing with veteran receiver Tavon Austin until training camp opens in late July. Austin, regarded as a possible centerpiece in McVay’s offense, is recovering from wrist surgery and did not participate in team drills during OTAs.

During minicamp, Goff will attempt to continue his upward trend. The three days of workouts, which begin Tuesday in Thousand Oaks, are the last team practices until the Rams reconvene for training camp at UC Irvine.

McVay said he was “very pleased” with what Goff has established “above the neck” in terms of handling different situations.

“He has done a nice job improving every single day,” McVay said, “and that’s what’s going to give us a chance.”

[www.latimes.com]

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gentlemen remember the Professors in college that made certain courses easy although the work intensified? I remember my Accounting teacher was so passionate about the subject you could not help being reeled in by his enthusiasm and believe me as a communication/history major I was not running to Accounting, but this Professor had a way of making it easier and I actually looked forward to the class and ensured that I signed for his class at every level.

McVay seems to have that way about him, his offense is far more complex than the Bolshevik Regime so there is far more to digest for Goff, but McVay with his passion and with the assistance of LaFleur & Olson is able to get Goff to want to digest it more and more and the sky could be the limit. Let's be honest here, McVay has not coached one game yet and an 0-4 start will have all of us looking like George Foreman after the Rope a Dope, however, if Goff is going to be successful the Los Angeles Rams have now provided the proper framework in which to do so.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I could have missed some but this is the first article I have heard Pharoh Cooper's name mentioned all offseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gentlemen remember the Professors in college that made certain courses easy although the work intensified? I remember my Accounting teacher was so passionate about the subject you could not help being reeled in by his enthusiasm and believe me as a communication/history major I was not running to Accounting, but this Professor had a way of making it easier and I actually looked forward to the class and ensured that I signed for his class at every level.

McVay seems to have that way about him, his offense is far more complex than the Bolshevik Regime so there is far more to digest for Goff, but McVay with his passion and with the assistance of LaFleur & Olson is able to get Goff to want to digest it more and more and the sky could be the limit. Let's be honest here, McVay has not coached one game yet and an 0-4 start will have all of us looking like George Foreman after the Rope a Dope, however, if Goff is going to be successful the Los Angeles Rams have now provided the proper framework in which to do so.
This also answers your question in another thread. The ota coming up is in the same place. Actual training camp is in Irvine.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.endzonescore.com/sean-mcvay-work-los-angeles-rams-offense/64605
Sean McVay has a lot of work to do on Los Angeles Rams offense

Offense wins games, defense wins championships. This old cliche explains why the Los Angeles Rams were 4-12 last season. They had a terrible offense last season that could never uplift them to a win.

The presence of head coach Sean McVay will hopefully uplift the Rams underwhelming offense. However, McVay has his work cut out for him.

This offense was not just bad last season, but they were the worst offense in the entire NFL. The Rams were dead last in both total yards and scoring.

Their passing offense was relatively nonexistent. Two quarterbacks got the start at quarterback for the Rams last year. It was a rough showing for both Jared Goff and Case Keenum.

Keenum was the starter for nine games last season and never got the offense going. He threw for 2,201 yards, nine touchdowns, 11 interceptions and had a 60.9 percent. His passer rating was 76.4 and a 43.4 quarterback rating.

Goff was a starter in seven games and was worse than Keenum. He threw for 1,089 yards, five touchdowns, seven interceptions and had a 54.6 completion percentage. Goff’s passer rating was 63.6 and his quarterback rating was 22.2.

The Rams passing offense was second to last in yards per pass attempt last season at 6.2. Couple that with their 3.3 yards per carry average and it results in a horrific offense.

McVay has the tall task of bringing life back to the Rams offense. Especially since it feels like the fans have not had an offense worth watching since the “greatest show on turf” days.

McVay has the expertise to accomplish such a feat. He has made his rounds as an offensive assistant and coordinator in the past. As an offensive coordinator he oversaw a Washington Redskins offense that got better each season.

There is a strong sense of hope that he will be able to do that for the Rams as well. As a result, he will hopefully put a winning product on the field.

He has the people in position to help this team succeed. Now is the time to make it a reality.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dybrandin-cooks-head-rising-qbwr-combinations

Tom Brady-Brandin Cooks head rising QB-WR combinations
By Gil Brandt
NFL Media senior analyst

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson. Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown.

Even with passing numbers soaring sky-high across the NFL, electric quarterback-receiver combinations like these stand out for their dazzling proficiency. Take Ryan and Jones, for example. As dynamic as Atlanta's offense was last season, when the chips were down, you knew Ryan would look to Jones.

With a number of receivers and quarterbacks changing uniforms or pairing up for the first time in 2017, I thought I'd compile a list of rising QB-WR combinations with a good chance to join the upper echelon of aerial partnerships. The QB-WR combinations listed below meet the following criteria:

A) I expect the quarterback and receiver to both play the majority of their team's games together this season.

B) I expect each receiver listed to both lead his team in targets and generate 1,000-plus receiving yards for the first time in his working relationship with the listed quarterback.:football::yay:

Below are the rising QB-WR combos to watch in 2017:
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: then :yess:
9) QB Jared Goff and WR Robert Woods, Los Angeles Rams

Woods was a steady but unremarkable presence over four years in Buffalo, never topping 65 catches or 699 yards in any given season. But he's only 25 and has a golden opportunity to break through with a Rams team sorely lacking in proven receiver talent. New coach Sean McVay will be trying to give Goff a go-to target in Goff's second NFL season, and Woods is easily the strongest candidate on hand, with Tavon Austin yet to show he can be a viable No. 1. I liked Woods, who I saw as an excellent route-runner worthy of a potential first-round pick, coming out of USC, and I think he'll step up in this situation.:snicker:

Interesting article in that SF is next....Really?!? Hoyer to Garcon:jerkoff:....Ok.

One more....
https://riggosrag.com/2017/06/10/redskins-sizing-up-rams-2017/
Washington Redskins 2017 Opponents: Sizing up the Los Angeles Rams
by Jacob Camenker

Rams Offseason: Offense
The biggest offseason change for the Rams came at the head coaching position. After spending years with Jeff Fisher at the helm, and seemingly finishing 7-9 every year, the Rams elected to part ways with the veteran. To replace them, they hired a bright offensive mind to become the youngest current head coach in the NFL.:mrburnsevil:

That man was Sean McVay. The former Redskins offensive coordinator was credited with helping Kirk Cousins to develop into a solid starting quarterback over the course of the past couple seasons. The hope is that McVay will be able to work with Jared Goff :lifting:to help the No. 1 overall pick to become a capable starter. During his rookie season, Goff looked lost, so McVay :coach:has his work cut out for him.

The first step to McVay’s tenure with the Rams was completely reworking their offense. During the offseason, the Rams focused on adding new receiving weapons to help out their young quarterback. They signed Robert Woods, a former USC star, to a massive five year, $39 million deal that could turn into an albatross. Woods is a decent No. 2 receiver, but there is no way that he deserved that type of money.:fuelfire: He could easily bust in Los Angeles, but he could also help fill the void left behind by Kenny’s Britt‘s departure.

In addition to Woods, the Rams spent three of their first four draft picks on receiving weapons. The first was tight end Gerald Everett who may take over for :shooting:Lance Kendricks as a starter. Everett is an athletic tight end who has drawn Jordan Reed comparisons, so the fit as a potential top tight end makes sense. In the third and fourth rounds respectively, the Rams added receivers Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. Kupp could be the No. 3 receiver for the team, while Reynolds is a high upside, quality depth guy that could be a No. 2 receiver some day. These picks were smart, but they may need time to develop.:violin:

One unheralded acquisition is former Cowboy Lance Dunbar. The receiving back should see a lot of third down work, and could function in a similar role to Chris Thompson. No matter what, Dunbar will see many third down snaps in order to give Todd Gurley a breather.:boxing:

Finally, to address some deficiencies on the offensive line, the Rams added a couple quality veterans. At center, the team signed John Sullivan:bow:, who spent last season as a backup with the Redskins. Sullivan is familiar with McVay’s system, and should be a solid fit there as a result. He can be a stopgap starter for a couple of years. At left tackle, the team stole quality veteran Andrew Whitworth :heh:away from the Bengals. Whitworth has long been an underrated blind side protector, and having him man the position will be much better than what the Rams had there last year.
To read the rest of the article...click me

Skins writer seems a bit mad to me:neener:.....ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....that's a good thing fellas

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They signed Robert Woods, a former USC star, to a massive five year, $39 million deal that could turn into an albatross. Woods is a decent No. 2 receiver, but there is no way that he deserved that type of money.

Clueless as per usual. If a journo is gonna say something like that you'd think they would at least check to see what the contract actually says.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

It's all about teaching to the individual's skill set - not everyone can learn from being taught the same way. Some people love 'class room' environments and thrive off it - other's, like myself, don't. The trick is with any teacher / coach, is to find what makes your student / player tick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I liked Goff coming out of college like many of you... and I still do.

The media over-analyzing his whopping 7 starts is just drama, at this point.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm glad Goff is feeling more confident under McVay.

That being said, its impossible to gage his progress on the practice field. It's simply too early to call.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The media over-analyzing his whopping 7 starts is just drama, at this point.

Well, I'm not sure about the media over analyzing, it's the only body of work they have to go on, however, the media with the exception of Southern California seems to be missing the obstacles of last season as well.