therams.com: Mayock Sees Depth In First-Round Defensive Talent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mayock-Sees-Depth-In-First-Round-Defensive-Talent/08db03dd-f87b-494c-b3c1-8b6d6f340348

Mayock Sees Depth In First-Round Defensive Talent
Posted Feb 26, 2018

kristen_lago.jpg

Kristen Lago Rams Writer/Reporter@kristennlago

The NFL Network's Mike Mayock projects as many as 12 defensive players will be taken in the first-round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
Throughout the 2017 offseason, much of the Rams’ focus centered around improving the club’s offense. Through free agency and the draft, Los Angeles bolstered its offensive line and provided quarterback Jared Goff with a slew of new weapons at receiver.

But after an impressive campaign that saw the club go from last to first in the league in scoring, the 2018 offseason will bring a new set of challenges to L.A.

Los Angeles currently holds the 23rd overall pick in the first round of this spring’s NFL Draft. And the majority of analysts in mock drafts are thinking the Rams will select a defensive player. After transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive scheme under coordinator Wade Phillips, moving forward the Rams will look to continue fine-tuning their system.

Fortunately, there are plenty of talented defensive prospects that will showcase their skills at the NFL Combine this week — with the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock projecting as many as 12 potential first rounders.

“I think the interior defensive line at the high end is outstanding,” Mayock said. “I think at least four are going to go — Washington’s Vita Vea, Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne, Michigan’s Maurice Hurst, and Florida’s Taven Bryan.”

All four combined for 166 tackles and 14.5 sacks in 2017, but they are not alone in their ability to rush the passer.

“The off-the-ball linebackers are really good this year,” Mayock continued. “Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds, Georgia’s Roquan Smith, Boise State’s Leighton Vander Esch, and Alabama’s Rashaan Evans. I think those four have the chance to go as off-the-ball linebackers. Typically, there's only two off-the-ball linebackers, so that would be a big year.”

Rounding out the top selection of prospects are the cornerbacks, who are still a bit of a mystery for Mayock. Mayock expects Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward — who finished the year with 37 tackles, two interceptions, and 15 pass breakups — to be selected first in his position group. But Mayock said he is still figuring out where everyone else should be projected.

“Iowa’s Josh Jackson, Central Florida’s Mike Hughes, Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver, Louisville’s Jaire Alexander, [and] Carlton Davis from Auburn. I mean, there are six guys there,” he said. “I think at least four of them are going to go in the first round.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We've been discussing this for some time on the draft board, and what MM is saying right now is much more in-line with what our discussions have been than it was a few months ago.

DL is a very strong group and is in play for us at 23 and with our following picks. There are roughly 8 dudes by my count who are going to step in and play at this level, so some teams are going to get improved on the DL.

LB is in play for us at 23 and has good depth too. ILB at 23 should be very strong, as we might have Evans and Vander Esch both there. IMO Smith is a little overrated still, but since he fits a 4-3 WILL he might still be off the board before 23 (he's a chase type and thus not an ideal fit for what we need). I love both Evans and Vander Esch for us. Evans can be moved around a bit and is going to be an outstanding player. Vander Esch will probably play ILB or MLB for some team for a decade. No chance we'll see Edmunds; zero chance he goes outside of top 15.

CBs I agree there are four who warrant round one selection. For the Rams, who want a sticky cover type for Wade's defense, those four fits IMO are J Jackson, Ward, Hughes, and Alexander. All have the talent to be a CB1 in this league. The other two he alluded to are moreso borderline at least as fits for us.

Lotta ways this thing can go, but one thing looks likely: that the Rams will see the most value in a defensive player at 23.