Theory; Stadium delay due to FAA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Compaction compaction compaction! Wet soil is a huge problem. I believe it when they say rain delay. I knew of a neighbor that had a leaking swimming pool. The leak was seeping into a vacant lot next door. When the vacant lot sold and began construction, they found the wet soil and it turned into a lawsuit as the soil wouldn't compact.
Good post.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
SWPPP is a big deal here in so cal. Many constructions sites simply shut down when it rains. Tracking sediment to adjacent streets and into storm drains is simply not allowed. Even dust coming from a site can draw big fines.
http://www.swpppsmart.com/faq
faq

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
For anyone who doubts that rain could have caused this delay, and that it didn't raise water tables ... consider this fact. California in the fall of 2016 was in a drought that EVERY expert in the meteorological field stated that it would take California 5-7 yrs to pull out of that drought. ..... .well ... we pulled out of by February of 2017. That is a SHIT TON of water. Highest EVER recorded rain totals.

Oh and the FAA theories.... they already came out and announced that they approved the project, after reaching a deal with Kroenke to help them pay for future radar equipment (they were just bending him over on the deal) but it was announced. they also announced that they approved the use of the cranes for building it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm only posting on the FAA thing because I have first hand info. The FAA has nothing to do with the construction delay.

Its also been reported that the 2019 time table might have been too aggressive realistically. When its all said and done, its safer to just move the date back a year. That way they won't make mistakes trying to rush it. Sorry to tell the conspiracy people, but the stadium will be built.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
1) Heavy/record rainfall may not have been accounted for in design.

They did budget 30 days of lost work due to rain. However, due to the heavy rain this year, they have already lost 30 days. And, prevents them from hitting the target date. It doesn't set them back a full year in construction, but it does set them back a year in terms of football seasons.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My theory

The engineers decided to redesign a few safety features...just to be sure.
anigif_enhanced-mid-23204-1432935300-14.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Then you know you had more rain in one year than you have had in the past five, no? Or are you going to deny that. think before you answer. I am from SoCal

The OC was in drought ,and my city warned about it being a tsunami year.
Ask the State what happened to the dam. --The salmon farms almost got wiped out.--Mother Nature was intense.
--There are faults all over California.The Rams are in between Northridge.I was in SF in 89" getting ready to watch the Bay Bridge World Series. Instead had a view of the top of the Bridge falling down while traffic was still trying to move.Not sure about Central Cal. Thing is it takes 6 hours to get to Oregon from SF.
A great year to snow board & ski.
Yeah in So Cal

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm just saying ... we got a shit ton of rain this past 8 mos. To say that "a little rain wouldn't slow the project" ..... is an absurd statement. And I'm not a geologist or have any idea what the soil content under Inglewood, but that could make a hell of a difference as far as drainage. And soil composition can change drastically from place to place. Hell that hole they are digging is going down to prehistoric levels.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm just saying ... we got a crap ton of rain this past 8 mos. To say that "a little rain wouldn't slow the project" ..... is an absurd statement. And I'm not a geologist or have any idea what the soil content under Inglewood, but that could make a hell of a difference as far as drainage. And soil composition can change drastically from place to place. Hell that hole they are digging is going down to prehistoric levels.

Soil under LA in general is bad for construction, compared to the east coast. That's why NYC could build up, and LA had to build out, the rock under NYC makes building tall structures safe, but under LA they don't have that, so they can't do that. Even smaller structures have to be built differently for earthquake codes and stuff. There's a building at UCLA that required to be separated from the rest of the ground so during an earthquake the building shakes significantly less as the quake is magnitudes less on the land the building is on vs the rest of campus. I'd have to imagine the stadium would need to have something similar happen, especially being sunk into the ground. That would required no water at all to complete, which means you're basically stuck in a holding pattern.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then you know you had more rain in one year than you have had in the past five, no? Or are you going to deny that. think before you answer. I am from SoCal
Its been hot and will not rain again for a few months. The rain wasnt too bad, did it take care of a drought yes, but considering how deep you are going you have to consider the subterranean wells. Which they should of known about since Los Angeles is considered arid.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I think the Ramswire article is a bit deceptive - maybe intentionally so.

First, the owners know more about this than some random Ramswire journo. Journo links to a CBS Sports report. The report mentions owner skepticism but the skepticism concerns the construction schedule, described as an "ambitious date from the start and one they probably couldn't hit, but I could see why they would initially want that target out there."

The owners haven't expressed any concern about the FAA and I think the journo knows this.

Here's what seems deceptive to me -- Journo opens with a splash of "Troubles with the Federal Aviation Administration". The end of the article reveals that the FAA "troubles" the journo is speculating/theorizing about concern the construction timing of the ASR relocation.

True, ASR relocation is related to the height and location of the stadium so referencing height and location issues seems journalistically proper. True, ASR relocation was part of the FAA remedy and is included in the FAA document, so ASR relocation is an FAA thing, right? And possible/potential/speculated trouble with the construction timeline of the ASR is trouble with the FAA, right? So the journo isn't flat out lying, he's just bringing up something that people don't usually think of when reading about Troubles with the FAA. Oh, and it seems to be the journo's own, personal theory and not from anyone in the know.

Anyhow, a more amusing way to read the article might be from bottom to top.
Very roughly:
(1) ASR construction timing could be an alternative theory for owner skepticisim, if any skepticism exists, concerning the construction delay.
(2) The developers paid and received approval for construction that included ASR relocation.
(3) According to an FAA document ASR relocation can take 1-4 years.
(4) ASR relocation was agreed upon to mitigate FAA concerns.
(5) Before construction Florio speculated about delays caused by the FAA.
(6) Before getting FAA approval, the developers got a permit from Inglewood and did some grading.
(7) The Rams searched for a solution regarding FAA concerns involving the height of the stadium and denied any FAA complications.
(8) A "possible" reason for construction delay, unrelated to the weather, is "troubles" with the FAA.
(9) CBS Sports reports owner skepticism for construction delay, citing an overly ambitious construction schedule.
(10) Rain blamed for construction delay.
(11) Video splashing "Troubles with the Federal Aviation Administration".

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too funny people are willing to consider any conspiracy theory than a simple truth right in front of them they saw on a daily basis