The youngest team in the NFL changed their workplace after hiring experts on millennials

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/youngest-team-nfl-changed-workplace-145719062.html

With an average roster age of just 24.1, the St. Louis Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and also one of the most exciting.
Bolstered by a terrifying defensive line, the Rams shocked the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, stuffing Marshawn Lynch's 4th-and-1 rush attempt in overtime to seal the biggest upset of the short NFL season.

Although it's still too early to tell whether or not the Rams are a playoff team, at least some of their early success can be explained by the fact that, during the off-season, the team's front office hired education consultants to help the coaches better understand — and subsequently better coach — their young team.

Kevin Clark has a fascinating story in the Wall Street Journal that sheds light on an age-old workplace dilemma with a football spin: how do older bosses most efficiently utilize their young workers?

Writes Clark:

The Rams have the youngest team in the NFL. Like most workplaces, the Rams were inundated with employees whose habits were vastly different from those of their the bosses. As coach Jeff Fisher put it: "Our players learn better with two phones and music going and with an iPad on the side," he said. "That’s new."

So like any company looking to institute major changes to the workplace, the Rams brought in outside consultants — specifically, a group of academics who run a private education consulting firm. The consultants observed the coaches' techniques and also provided the rookies with a unique standardized test similar to the GRE and SAT to assess how they learn. Because it's still the NFL, the test also measured seemingly unquantifiable football terms, including "grit, perseverance, and mental toughness," Rams' GM Les Snead told the WSJ.

The results from the rookie tests ultimately taught the Rams some invaluable lessons about millennials:

Attention spans are shorter but they are savvier than ever, because of their exposure to technology. They also need to know "why" to everything: If you explain a concept to them on the field, they need to know the reason behind it. Millennial players questioning everything is something that’s helped the Rams, the team says, because it forces coaches and executives to examine their own methods (Why are we doing this?). Lastly, they learned that younger players like to share everything, whether that’s directly or through social-media outlets like Instagram.

As a result of the findings, the Rams made some key changes to preseason routines. Rather than spending hours in classrooms for informational meetings, St. Louis coaches kept their players inside for "10-15 minutes" before going outside to execute what they learned on the field. Similarly, Clark explains that Fisher eased up on wake-up times.

"Nobody wants to get up at 5:30, have a big breakfast and go into a classroom and fall asleep," he told the WSJ.

After one week and one upset, the Rams seem to be responding well to these new techniques. Still, it's far too early to know whether or not the Rams will survive in the brutal NFC West conference. One way or another, Snead told Clark that the Rams are excited to further implement changes to help coaches work better with the young team.

"Every company is trying to train new employees differently, football players aren’t the only millennials," Snead said. "My thought is, let’s create a little bit of a lab here and see where it goes."

NOW WATCH: Here’s why the Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world

Ram65

Legend
Great find Boston!

About time Fisher and Co show some innovative management techniques.

"Nobody wants to get up at 5:30, have a big breakfast and go into a classroom and fall asleep," he told the WSJ.

So what time did they get up? This is not your Tom Coughlin football team. I wondered for a couple years if the Rams players knew the plays and where they were suppose to be. I guess the NFL gets more complicated year after year. Seems like it would be from Fishers playing days in the 1980's. Some players still get pushed along in school without learning how to study etc. Hope this helps cut out the missed assignments and blitz recognition. This Rams team finally has the physical talent to win but they need to master the mental side of football.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice read.

Overall I am very happy with how this franchise is progressing now. They think ahead and out of the box on things that can be overlooked. They scout and draft very well. Snead absolutely slays other GMs in trades. And Fish has done pretty well in the face of a lot of injury adversity.

I just gotta see this team take that step this year. But even if worst case they end up firing Fish, I do think long term success is in this team's future. This organization is set up the right way IMO and success is just a matter of time and hopefully this season for that matter.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great find Boston!

About time Fisher and Co show some innovative management techniques.

So what time did they get up? This is not your Tom Coughlin football team. I wondered for a couple years if the Rams players knew the plays and where they were suppose to be. I guess the NFL gets more complicated year after year. Seems like it would be from Fishers playing days in the 1980's. Some players still get pushed along in school without learning how to study etc. Hope this helps cut out the missed assignments and blitz recognition. This Rams team finally has the physical talent to win but they need to master the mental side of football.

Agree with all your points and its a good question....what time do they wake up lol. Nice to see them thinking outside the box a little.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
You know this post reminds me of some of the Cowboys fans at their joint practice in Oxnard saying the Rams kept huddling on the sideline and that the Cowboys got so much more done as they keep running drills. They didn't know the Rams coaching staff was actually explaining and teaching the players. It's this kind of forward thinking that is going to help the Rams climb to the top without the need for deflating footballs or other forms of cheating.

Go Rams!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Fisher and his coaching staff have to adapt to today's players and this looks to be good example of that.The old school technique only goes so far with players in the Nfl now.Were a young team and if that's what it takes to get through to some of these players then so be it.Hopefully we don't get any younger or Fisher will have to bring in spongebob squarepants next time.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Great article, and it's what I've been experiencing as a new manager as well. Everyone wants the "why". Similarly, with the shorter attention spans, seems like everyone has a large shallow pool of knowledge, but very few deep pockets.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent work by Fisher and ownership to put the time, work and money into better teaching this young generation of players. You can't keep doing the same old thing when people are changing. I expect that we'll see a few more teams migrating to similar approaches but it's nice to see the Rams on the cutting edge especially with an older set in his ways coach.

fearsomefour

Legend
Great read.
Makes some very valid points.
In working with young guys (baseball pitchers) I have found some want to know the reason why with everything, some only want to know if it is out of their comfort zone (doing work with wrist weights that look herky jerky and violent) and some don't care. Just tell and show them what to do and they do it, as long as they see results.
I much prefer the ones that want to know why.
I would think there could be some healthy bleed over to the coaches. The whole thing of a guy working 18 hours a day is just silliness. You certainly reach a point in terms of saturation, exhaustion etc where a guy is less productive putting in more time. No one regardless of age is really staying focus for 12 hours or even 8 hours at a time.
I tell my guys lets work hard, get in and get out. Make every rep/throw count. If you need a minute to reset, take a walk round the building, listen to a song, cool....but, when you work its focused. I think in sports (and life) there tends to be a focus on quantity over quality.

fearsomefour

Legend
Excellent work by Fisher and ownership to put the time, work and money into better teaching this young generation of players. You can't keep doing the same old thing when people are changing. I expect that we'll see a few more teams migrating to similar approaches but it's nice to see the Rams on the cutting edge especially with an older set in his ways coach.
I agree.
It is so much easier to just fall back on what one has done before, what has always been done.
I run into this with baseball all the time. Traditional coaches doing things the same they did them 30 years ago. When they ask Joe so-n-so has added 8 mph to his fastball this off season working with you, what do you do....and I tell him. He loses interest. He has seen the results. He could implement those things and see results across his pitching staff, but, it would mean letting go of the ego driven need to know it all. "We do things old school"....blah, blah, blah. Would I want to go to a trainer that was using information 30 years old? Or a mechanic who hasn't brushed up on how engines work in the last 30 years with new technology? Hell no.
I have had a coach ask me very excitedly how I got the results I did with one kid, I explained it to him. He said, "Hmmm, interesting. I don't think that is for us though." Even though the approach he takes gets minimum sorts of results? Crazy people.
Rant over.
It does make me sort of smile when people try to say ownership with the Rams does not care about winning. It is so much easier to just do thing the old way, to not try something new, to not spent the time and money to implement new things. Something like this shows me they are trying and trying hard to get there.