The X-Factor: Isaiah Pead to start? Tyson vs Ali.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like to put grapes in my salads.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like to put grapes in my salads.
5uy.gif

jap

Legend
Muhammed Ali/Cassius Clay's whole fighting style was an homage to the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time---Sugar Ray Robinson. Sugar Ray could knock you out with either hand, could knock you out moving forward or backing up, was the original dance master, and probably owned the best combination of all time. The one comment said about Sugar Ray that has remained with me (because I never heard it said about any other fighter) is that he had no weaknesses!

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No brainer to me watching the pre season.
He is a better runner to me....in the sense he is better at seeing and finding seems and picking up some yards. I like Cunningham as a returner, special teamer and third down back (maybe) but to me he is the 4th RB on the roster.

I don't go by this preseason. Cunningham runs harder. He is tougher to tackle and he sees the holes fine.

If Pead gets the nod it is because he is faster.

Athos

Legend
Playing the other side of the argument; I worry he might have Trent Richardsonism... the "inability to see a hole".

My worry as well. Especially against the Hags. I look at Pead's runs in the past, I wonder where he's going. Like he wants a piggyback from the O-lineman. That's what I see. Runs up their asses or into the arms of the D.

No Mason WK1 has me worried. I hope Tavon can bust a few.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't go by this preseason. Cunningham runs harder. He is tougher to tackle and he sees the holes fine.

If Pead gets the nod it is because he is faster.
Not necessarily. I think Pead has shown improvement as a runner. Taking some plays were there was not much there, no big holes, finding a little seem and picking up 3 yards or whatever. That holds great value as a RB.
We will see. Both will get touches I am sure week 1.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What do you think Cunningham's limitations are as a lead back, if any?
Lack of speed....I'd hate a perfectly blocked play that isn't taken full advantage of, because the RB is too slow....Big runs ignite teams, like the bomb....Pead gives us the homerun threat, Benny doesn't...not anymore. He was faster in college.

It's a speed issue for me. He lacks the explosiveness you want in the guy getting the standard carries.
Exactly....
A broken down, mind0-fuked Tyson was beaten by Buster Douglas...BUSTER freakin DOUGLAS!
Buster met a perfect storm...Tyson in Japan (oh the ladies & the way he was treated), with the death of his mother...Buster had a decent jab, and nice overhand...And he still lost (really..stupid ref) that fight...Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he been counted out and how Tyson reacted to a good scare, instead of a loss.

Tyson was a man of my era...We're almost the same age..I saw the 2nd Ali...after the banning. Ali was "game" which is a great attribute...He won't give up..He won't quit..Probably why he suffered the brain damage that led to Parkinsons.....Tyson was a killer...with Cus...at 19-22 he would have killed a young Ali, the older Ali, and any heavy weight before him...His combination of speed & power has NEVER been seen before or since. Damn shame what happened to him....Reminds me a lil, just a lil of Lawrence Phillips....No social skills...He learned shit from the wrong people...Cus really tried, and probably could have saved him...But his story is truly remarkable, and should be a warning to a lot of talented young men....Thank God he appears to have turned himself around.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have to go with Cunningham. I hope Pead manages to run wild (because we're definitely going to need it with Gurley and Mason not there), but Cunningham is a better third down blocker than Pead is when I've seen them play. Pead's good, but he's inconsistent. Cunningham is also a tougher runner than Pead, he gets the extra yards, and I trust him more on returns than Pead. I love Pead as a gunner, though, and in terms of speed, I'd take Pead easily.

All in all...if they're our third and fourth running backs, I'm cool with that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lack of speed....I'd hate a perfectly blocked play that isn't taken full advantage of, because the RB is too slow....Big runs ignite teams, like the bomb....Pead gives us the homerun threat, Benny doesn't...not anymore. He was faster in college.

Exactly....
Buster met a perfect storm...Tyson in Japan (oh the ladies & the way he was treated), with the death of his mother...Buster had a decent jab, and nice overhand...And he still lost (really..stupid ref) that fight...Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he been counted out and how Tyson reacted to a good scare, instead of a loss.

Tyson was a man of my era...We're almost the same age..I saw the 2nd Ali...after the banning. Ali was "game" which is a great attribute...He won't give up..He won't quit..Probably why he suffered the brain damage that led to Parkinsons.....Tyson was a killer...with Cus...at 19-22 he would have killed a young Ali, the older Ali, and any heavy weight before him...His combination of speed & power has NEVER been seen before or since. Damn shame what happened to him....Reminds me a lil, just a lil of Lawrence Phillips....No social skills...He learned crap from the wrong people...Cus really tried, and probably could have saved him...But his story is truly remarkable, and should be a warning to a lot of talented young men....Thank God he appears to have turned himself around.
We will have to disagree strongly..To me, Tyson fought a class of fighter that was subpar...They were the guys that would have never made it to a Championship fight in any era before 1980. Tyson looked like a monster versus the Circle K employees that just got cut from every team in the NFL (rough equivalent to me). Tyson is the starter that looked like a HOFer playing them..when it would be a vastly different story against other "Greats". Those Palookas were afraid of him, as well they should have been..Ali, Foreman(young), Frazier, Shavers, Young..they wouldn't have been afraid of him. With greater skill, they would have torn him a part, due to brainpower, which Tyson proved how little he had. Tyson depended on quick savage knockouts. So what happens when he meets a guy like Ali that can jab faster than ANYONE in Heavyweight history (aside from Patterson). and Ali's jabs were not light jabs, as they would raise welts and go bloody after a while. As mentioned earlier, Foremans jabs were like a pile driver to the face, more than a fast jab. Sorry, Tyson was a great puncher in a horrible era, against bad competition. Ali was great boxer, among other Greats. JMO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not necessarily. I think Pead has shown improvement as a runner. Taking some plays were there was not much there, no big holes, finding a little seem and picking up 3 yards or whatever. That holds great value as a RB.
We will see. Both will get touches I am sure week 1.

It just seems like a few posters hang onto hope for Pead because he was a second round pick. I think Pead is just one of those guys like Barrett Jones that can play well in college but can't hack it in the pros.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tyson fought a class of fighter that was subpar
They had a tough top 5 for sure....My memory is bad, who was that bleeder that Ali fought over 3 times? Chuck Wepner?
The top 10 in Tyson's era could compete at any time..Tubbs, Tucker, Green, yeah HE made them look bad...Superior conditioning & training....Guys are getting better, despite the talent drain from other sports...It just looks bad, or worse because ALL the fights are televised....Back then, lots of athletes with no skills...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had a tough top 5 for sure....My memory is bad, who was that bleeder that Ali fought over 3 times? Chuck Wepner?
The top 10 in Tyson's era could compete at any time..Tubbs, Tucker, Green, yeah HE made them look bad...Superior conditioning & training....Guys are getting better, despite the talent drain from other sports...It just looks bad, or worse because ALL the fights are televised....Back then, lots of athletes with no skills...
These are Ali's multiple fights...You might be thinking of Jerry Quarry...

Ali fought Jerry Quarry twice..He was a bleeder (2-0)
' fought Chuck Wegner once (1-0) (because you mentioned him)
" fought Joe Frazier three times.... (2-1)
" fought Ken Norton three times..... (2-1)
' fought Sonny Liston twice.......... (2-0)
" fought Leon Spinks twice............(1-1)

As for Tubbs, Tucker, Green? How can we see the same fights and think so differently? I thought they represented
the decline of the Heavyweight division..I agree, Tyson made them look bad, because they WERE bad. It was after the Tyson era, I quit watching boxing as an avid fan, because Tyson became a total asshat, and the wasteland that boxng became. Televised now? Maybe...I remember watching most of Ali's and other fights on TV, as we could not pay for for the special PPV in the 70's. I watched any fight of note, on TV back in those days, so I don't really know what you are talking about there.....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Interesting point, I'd probably go with BC to start, he's a hard hitter, runs straight and true and can seem to take the big hits, but as soon as holes start to occur in the D-line due to fatigue, I'd probably mix it up with bringing in Pead because of his extra pace, the only thing I worry with Pead is he has been like a deer in the headlights at points when he's looking too hard for that home-run or for the big hole - he needs to have more self-belief and just go for it at times. I've never been a fan of the Pead pick, but he did give it his best shot in the off-season to retain a roster spot and I have to take my hat off to him for that...

tonyl711

Starter
Think Fisher already named BC the starter, but I expect Pead to see a lot of carries, maybe even split their carries.

Yeah, Tyson would knock Ali, the freak out.
Ali would have toyed with Tyson until he wore him out, Forman part 2, Holyfield beat him twice and you dont think Ali would have? if Tyson had been around when Ali, Frazier, Forman, Lyle and the like were all in thier prime, he wouldnt have won nearly as easily, he scared his opponents, they ran from him, what happened the first time someone didnt run? Tyson got knocked the f@#k out, lol. dont think he would have scared Frazier, Forman, Ali or Lyle.