The week-to-week roadmap of the Jets' upcoming 0-16 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ek-roadmap-jets-0-16-season-article-1.3231817

TANKS FOR NOTHING: Here's the week-to-week roadmap of the Jets' 0-16 season
By Gary Meyers

Welcome to Tank Town, USA and the Sweet Sixteen.

Jets Nation, this is going to be ugly. The 2017 Jets have a realistic chance of being worse than the 1-15 Rich Kotite atrocity of 1996, a team that actually had a lot of talent, unfortunately none of it in the head coach’s office.

The Jets could make this the Sweet Sixteen season.

It might be even harder to finish 0-16 than 16-0. There’s been only one of each. The 2008 Lions were winless one season after the Patriots were undefeated. By mistake, a team usually wins one game. With a bad bounce, even the great teams manage to lose a game.

The Jets need to secure the first pick in the draft, which is expected to be quarterback Sam Darnold of USC unless Josh Allen of Wyoming or Josh Rosen of UCLA jump ahead by next April.

Considering the Browns and 49ers are also going to be really awful, the only way to guarantee the No. 1 pick is to finish 0-16, which would include a loss to the Browns, and hope the 49ers win a game along the way. It would just be another sad chapter in the Jets history if they finish 0-16 and so do the 49ers and then the Jets lose the strength-of-schedule tie-breaker for the first pick.

How can the Jets put together the first winless season in the history of New York sports?

Here’s the week-by-week roadmap. Hang on tight.

jets.jpg

HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Week 1 - Jets at Bills
Final Score: Bills 20, Jets 3

The Bills defense is so fired up they no longer have to listen to the identical twin geniuses Rex and Rob that they play their best game since Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett. Josh McCown is 7-for-24 for 75 yards with two interceptions and three sacks. Todd Bowles says he didn’t considering putting in Christian Hackenberg. He says the second-year QB is still getting used to his uniform after dressing for only one game last season.

Record: 0-1

Week 2 - Jets at Raiders
Final Score: Raiders 38, Jets 10

Why Woody Johnson decided to cut Jets' David Harris, Eric Decker

Derek Carr, the pre-season MVP favorite, lights up the Jets for 374 yards passing with two touchdowns to Amari Cooper. Marshawn Lynch scores from the one and immediately sends the tape to Pete Carroll. McCown is 15-for-30 for 125 yards and two more INTs. Bowles says he didn’t consider putting in Hackenberg.

Record 0-2

Week 3 - Dolphins at Jets
Final Score: Dolphins 17, Jets 14

McCown throws an interception with 10 seconds left as the Jets were moving into field goal range. He spared the fans having to watch overtime in the home opener. Woody Johnson, assuming by now he is officially named Ambassador to the United Kingdom, returns from his London home at the Winfield House in Regent Park’s and wishes he hadn’t. He refuses all questions about the job security of Bowles and President Trump.

Christian Hackenberg ready to take advantage of Jets opportunity

Record: 0-3

Week 4 - Jaguars at Jets
Final Score: Jaguars 10, Jets 9

Jags executive VP of football operations Tom Coughlin makes a triumphant return to MetLife Stadium, blowing kisses to the crowd and inviting fans to kiss his Giants rings. McCown throws for just 60 yards and says he came out flat because the Jags were not one of his former teams. The Jets are his 10th. Bowles has Hackenberg warming up on the sidelines in the fourth quarter but leaves him there.

Record: 0-4

Week 5 - Jets at Browns
Final Score: Browns 20, Jets 10

The Tank Bowl. This game has major draft implications. Browns second-round pick DeShone Kizer, in his first start, throws a 70-yard touchdown pass to Corey Coleman with 40 seconds remaining. McCown is given a standing ovation by Browns fans, who appreciate his 1-10 record in Cleveland during the 2015-16 seasons. Still no Hackenberg. LeBron James is at the game. Jets players taunt him with chants of “KD, KD, KD.”

Record 0-5

Week 6 - Patriots at Jets
Final Score: Patriots 42, Jets 17

Despite the offensive outburst – Bilal Powell runs for 175 yards and two touchdowns – the Jets can’t control Tom Brady, who throws a pair of 70-yard TDs to Brandin Cooks. McCown is bad once again, running his career record to 18-48. Bowles announces that Hackenberg will start next week in Miami.

Record: 0-6

Week 7 - Jets at Dolphins
Final Score: Dolphins 31, Jets 7

Hackenberg picks up where he left off at Penn State and is bad. He throws three interceptions and the Jets only score is a 40-yard interception return for a touchdown by rookie-of-the-year candidate Jamal Adams. As usual in Miami, there are more Jets fans than Dolphins fans. Jarvis Landry proposes to the goal post after his third touchdown, challenging his pal Odell Beckham Jr., to get to the altar first with the kicking net.

Record: 0-7

Week 8 - Falcons at Jets
Final Score: Falcons 31, Jets 17

For the first and what won’t be the last time, the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets chant is replaced by S-U-C-K Suck Suck Suck for Sam as Hackenberg throws three more interceptions. Johnson has remained in London, electing to save money on the cross-Atlantic flight.

Record: 0-8

Week 9 - Bills at Jets
Final Score: Bills 27, Jets 26

Leonard Williams picks up Darron Lee and shoves him into the Gatorade bucket after he missed a tackle on Tyrod Taylor’s game-winning 5-yard touchdown run on the final play. It’s the third year in a row the Jets and Bills play on a Thursday night. It’s the Jets only national TV appearance of the season. Hackenberg has his best game: Two TD passes to Quincy Enunwa.

Record: 0-9

Week 10 - Jets at Bucs
Final Score: Bucs 31, Jets 21

DeSean Jackson has 175 yards receiving and backpedals into the end zone on each of his two TD scores. Jameis Winston throws for 325 yards. Jets fans argue with Bucs fans about Darrelle Revis: Was he worse in Tampa in 2013 or New York in 2016? 0-16 is looking real.

Record: 0-10

Week 11 - Bye
Whew

Week 12 - Panthers at Jets
Final Score: Panthers 24, Jets 14

Rookies Christian McCaffrey and Brooklyn’s Curtis Samuel rip apart the Jets defense, combining for 250 yards and three touchdowns. With the Giants off after having played on Thanksgiving night, Brandon Marshall shows up in the Jets locker room and picks a fight with Sheldon Richardson.

Record: 0-11

Week 13 - Chiefs at Jets
Final Score: Chiefs 35, Jets 10

At the Saturday night team meeting, Todd Bowles displays a picture of ex-Chief Jeremy Maclin and warns his players not to invite Andy Reid if they are planning to get married. Rookie QB Patrick Mahomes comes off the bench and completes a 60-yard TD to Tyreek Hill, who created a 15-yard cushion on Buster Skrine. Jets fans starting chanting, “We Want Revis. We Want Revis.” Well, not really.

Record: 0-12

Week 14 - Jets at Broncos
Final Score: Broncos 30, Jets 10

Richardson Snapchats himself on bench in the fourth quarter eating a hot dog Bowles doesn’t fine him but warns hot dogs during games could cause indigestion. Peyton Manning tweets that after watching the Jets defense he wished he was still playing.

Record: 0-13

Week 15 - Jets at Saints
Final Score: Saints 49, Jets 28

Hackenberg throws four touchdowns and four interceptions. Drew Brees throws for 480 yards – hey, it’s Drew Brees in the Superdome, he does that – and Adams, the rookie from nearby LSU, is embarrassed and says he may petition the NCAA to get his eligibility restored.

Record: 0-14

Week 16 - Chargers at Jets
Final Score: Chargers 13, Jets 12

Only two to go to 0-16. Ho-ho-ho. The Jets set a record when only 12,874 fans show up at MetLife on Christmas Eve day. The Jets clinch the No. 1 pick. No other team has fewer than two victories. New kicker Roberto Aguayo, the Jets fifth kicker of the season, misses 30-yarder with no time left.

Record: 0-15

Week 17 - Jets at Patriots
Final Score: Patriots 35, Jets 0

The Pats have the No. 1 seed locked up, but Bill Belichick shows no mercy and plays Brady the entire game. It’s New Years’ Eve and Belichick is partying like it’s Jan. 4, 2000, the day he resigned as head coach of the NYJ. Johnson shows up for the first time in two months and announces Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan will return. “I’m pleased with the progress,” he says. “We didn’t have any butt fumbles.” Then he gets on a plane back to London.

Record: 0-16

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I could see it. I don't think they'll finish 0-16, but this team seems ripe to contend for the #1 overall pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wonder.....I mean....I keep thinking Hackenberg can play....But this looks like tanking....Same with Frisco....for the #1 QB in the draft....

But again, I think Hackenberg can play....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder.....I mean....I keep thinking Hackenberg can play....But this looks like tanking....Same with Frisco....for the #1 QB in the draft....

He is apparently struggling, if you place any value on OTA reports. Kind of reminds me of the discussion around dropped passes and "hands". Hackenberg may have talent, but if he's not accurate he's not going to play in this league for long.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ice-hit-reporters-with-errant-throws-at-otas/

When Hackenberg misses... he really misses. He threw just two interceptions in team drills, but nearly tossed six others. And I'm not talking about a receiver falling down. I'm saying the defender just dropped the ball. Other times, the wideout/running back/tight end was wide open, and Hackenberg sailed it over his head or bounced it to him. That can't happen. In the three media-open OTAs, Hackenberg hit reporters with passes twice.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, we need to focus on our own team, however, the Jets could be in for a long year, I still like them to win a couple games and the question looms, who will be their next Head Coach?

The Answer Todd Monken current Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach of Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bucs will be a hot commodity this year and Monken has Head Coaching experience at Southern Mississippi where he rebuilt the program taking from 1-11 to 9-5, 7-1 in their conference and a Bowl Game.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I highly doubt the Jets go 0-16 in 2017, but I feel their pain because our Rams have been just as bad the last 5 years. On paper it looks like the Rams could be turning the corner because of the McVay hiring.

On paper it looks like the Jets might be drafting Top 3 in 2018.

The Jets will probably start the season with Josh McCown at QB but eventually they need to see 2016 second round pick (No. 51 overall) Christian Hackenberg play with live bullets flying in the regular season.

Hack could surprise but if he doesn't and the Jets falter again, Todd Bowles likely won't see a 4th year and their new HC will be drafting a QB with their 1st pick in 2018.

JETS since 2012 (33 Wins)___RAMS since 2012 (31 Wins)
6-10________________________2012 7-8-1
2013 8-8_________________________2013 7-9
2014 4-12________________________2014 6-10
2015 10-6________________________2015 7-9
2016 5-11________________________2016 4-12

______
jetsshrug.gif

giphy.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I agree, and you would think at least one team will fall into a " Trap Game" with them and be over confident!

Ram65

Legend
I was hoping for a little more background as to why the tank and prediction. The talked about the Jets on Mike and Mike. I agree that they said the Jets tried to compete with the Patsies but could not. Now they have mid career guys like Decker with bigger cap hits etc... Time to cut bait and save money for the future.

Those scores were much closer than I assumed they would be. The only prediction is a long losing season for the Jets.