The weakest WR corp in the NFL belongs to... Washington?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Redskins
By Tiller56 on Jul 6 2013, 9:52a

20120827_kkt_au3_241.0_standard_783.0.jpg

The Washington Redskins have one of the leagues best young passers. They also have one of the leagues worst supporting casts at wide receiver. The Skins did not have a receiver on the team last season with at least 50 receptions. Now this is certainly not a match made by the football gods. Last year(on paper)only Cleveland, St. Louis and Miami had worse wide receivers.

The Dolphins made huge strides to improve their corps, by adding Mike Wallace in free agency, to go along with Brian Hartline. Armon Binns, Jeff Fuller and Marvin McNutt give the unit some nice size. There is not a receiver on the roster over 26 years of age. The future looks bright at the position in Miami.

The Browns made an un-assuming trade to acquire Davon Bess from Miami, and can now pair him with young up-and-comers Josh Gordon(who they drafted in the 2nd round of the 2012 supplemental draft), and Greg Little. This 1-2-3 punch should help greatly improve a team in need of immediate playmakers on the outside.

The Rams lost Danny Amendola in free agency, but gained Tavon Austin and teammate Stedman Bailey in the draft. They now boast a talented and dangerous receiving corp with Austin, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, and Bailey.

The Redskins did nothing this offseason to bolster a weak wide receiving corp. In a league where passing is king, and playmakers are at a premium, the Redskins will have to count on the health of Garcon and Morgan, and the maturation of Hankerson and Robinson, if they have any hopes of adding some sparks to the unit. The team has just one receiver over 6'1" who is expected to make the roster(Hankerson). Garcon is the only receiver on the team who can routinely command a double team by defenders, and unless a veteran steps up to provide another weapon to Griffin and Morris, we could be in for a long nail-biting season.

This season, on paper, there may be only three teams that have lass talent at the position: The Ravens(who lost Boldin), Patriots(who lost Welker and Lloyd) and Raiders. The first two have great veteran quarterbacks, and solid offensive lines to make up for some of these deficiencies. The Raiders..................well, they're just the Raiders.

Will the Redskins be able to replicate last years success without a solid supporting cast around quarterback Robert Griffin? Can tight ends Fred Davis(returning from a torn Achilles) and Jordan Reed add some play-making ability to the passing game?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/6/4498320/redskins-wide-receiver-woes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/6/44983 ... eiver-woes</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good thing (for them) they rank so low in pass attempts.
Just keep running him until his legs get cut out from underneath him, Shamaham.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No they wont. RG3 will get injured some point in the season, and eventually they'll break him.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Seems like kind of a weak argument to say they're bad because they had so few catches. They ran the ball a ton, so, of course?

FRO

Legend
PrometheusFaulk said:
Seems like kind of a weak argument to say they're bad because they had so few catches. They ran the ball a ton, so, of course?
If you go by last years numbers we probably have a worse WR corps with our top 2 guys leaving.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PrometheusFaulk wondered:

Did RGIII run so much because his WRs couldn't get open?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Did RGIII run so much because his WRs couldn't get open?

Nah. He was just slow making his reads... :hehe:

One more first rounder coming... thank you Washington!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the weakest WR core in the NFL lies coiled in Northern, CA!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SF</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
IMO the weakest WR core in the NFL lies coiled in Northern, CA!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SF</a>

With Bolden there... its hard to call them weakest. But I think they are weak and Jenkins looks like a bust. Woot!

nighttrain

Legend
love to see the Skins with the leagues worst record, but Fisher would be bummed, he promised we'd never pick 2nd again. Then again, it would be first :)
train

FRO

Legend
nighttrain said:
love to see the Skins with the leagues worst record, but Fisher would be bummed, he promised we'd never pick 2nd again. Then again, it would be first :)
train
First would be very nice with a trade down and another huge bounty.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm convinced Hankerson will be worth a damn. I wanted the Rams to take that dude so damn bad, now I'm committed to seeing him succeed just so it vindicates myself. Doesn't mean I want to see the team succeed though, Lions won what, 4 games while Megatron broke records?

Warner4Prez said:
I'm convinced Hankerson will be worth a damn. I wanted the Rams to take that dude so damn bad, now I'm committed to seeing him succeed just so it vindicates myself. Doesn't mean I want to see the team succeed though, Lions won what, 4 games while Megatron broke records?

I'm basically the same on Hankerson, maybe a bit less concerned about being wrong because I'm so used to it. I was very high on him as a prospect and I honestly still like him. I see the things I always saw in him and feel he showed solid improvement in his game last year. I tend to be stubborn as hell with my evaluations, especially in the first three years and Hankerson obviously is only two years in.

I'd also add Lance Lewis to my underated Redskin WR list. I'm sure he won't get much in the way of opportunities this year but IF he does get a shot, I don't think he will waste it.

Ram_of_Old

CGI_Ram said:
The Redskins
By Tiller56 on Jul 6 2013, 9:52a

20120827_kkt_au3_241.0_standard_783.0.jpg

The Washington Redskins have one of the leagues best young passers. They also have one of the leagues worst supporting casts at wide receiver. The Skins did not have a receiver on the team last season with at least 50 receptions. Now this is certainly not a match made by the football gods. Last year(on paper)only Cleveland, St. Louis and Miami had worse wide receivers.

The Dolphins made huge strides to improve their corps, by adding Mike Wallace in free agency, to go along with Brian Hartline. Armon Binns, Jeff Fuller and Marvin McNutt give the unit some nice size. There is not a receiver on the roster over 26 years of age. The future looks bright at the position in Miami.

The Browns made an un-assuming trade to acquire Davon Bess from Miami, and can now pair him with young up-and-comers Josh Gordon(who they drafted in the 2nd round of the 2012 supplemental draft), and Greg Little. This 1-2-3 punch should help greatly improve a team in need of immediate playmakers on the outside.

The Rams lost Danny Amendola in free agency, but gained Tavon Austin and teammate Stedman Bailey in the draft. They now boast a talented and dangerous receiving corp with Austin, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, and Bailey.

The Redskins did nothing this offseason to bolster a weak wide receiving corp. In a league where passing is king, and playmakers are at a premium, the Redskins will have to count on the health of Garcon and Morgan, and the maturation of Hankerson and Robinson, if they have any hopes of adding some sparks to the unit. The team has just one receiver over 6'1" who is expected to make the roster(Hankerson). Garcon is the only receiver on the team who can routinely command a double team by defenders, and unless a veteran steps up to provide another weapon to Griffin and Morris, we could be in for a long nail-biting season.

This season, on paper, there may be only three teams that have lass talent at the position: The Ravens(who lost Boldin), Patriots(who lost Welker and Lloyd) and Raiders. The first two have great veteran quarterbacks, and solid offensive lines to make up for some of these deficiencies. The Raiders..................well, they're just the Raiders.

Will the Redskins be able to replicate last years success without a solid supporting cast around quarterback Robert Griffin? Can tight ends Fred Davis(returning from a torn Achilles) and Jordan Reed add some play-making ability to the passing game?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/6/4498320/redskins-wide-receiver-woes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/6/44983 ... eiver-woes</a>

Sounds good to me!

Ram_of_Old

bluecoconuts said:
No they wont. RG3 will get injured some point in the season, and eventually they'll break him.

He is a tremendous talent, but he soooo reminds me of Vick. Well except Vick knows when to get down. Since I am in Virginia, I like to infuriate the Skins fans by calling him RG2.5, especially after his injury.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram_of_Old said:
Since I am in Virginia, I like to infuriate the Skins fans by calling him RG2.5, especially after his injury.

:lmao:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
FRO said:
nighttrain said:
train
First would be very nice with a trade down and another huge bounty.

No more trade downs. We'd have all the pieces we'd need if we added Jadeveon Clowney to back up Chris Long and Quinn. Superbowl in 2014.