The War.....by Ken Burns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm watching this on Netflix and it is absolutely fantastic. From the first hand accounts to the pictures and videos and descriptions that I and almost everyone else have never seen or heard.

I'm about halfway through and it's such a thorough and all encompassing piece that my understanding and knowledge of the fighting (it isn't really documenting the political part at least not yet) increased tenfold. The way the nation mobilized, both the "industrial machine" and the individual citizens is really astonishing.

If you haven't seen this it's got to get into your que ASAP. And if you have High School aged kids they should check it out too. While it's a little gruesome they've seen worse I'm sure, and they aren't teaching it like this in school.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hadn't heard of this series (Don't have Netflix) but after looking it up, I may have to check it out more... WWII has always been fascinating, especially hearing it from the men firsthand. I love talking to older vets at the VA, their stories are always so amazing. Often times there'll be a few of us waiting, and we'll have a WWII vet, a Vietnam vet, a Gulf War Vet, and myself (War on Terror vet), my girlfriend usually sits there in awe over the stories... Often times older guys will sit and talk about how hard it was for myself, and I'm always thinking "Are you fucking kidding me? I got in my fair share of firefights, but I never had to storm a beach under enemy fire with little to no cover, and then fight for weeks or months on end getting shelled, attacked from the air, armor, all that."

It's amazing what these guys went through, we will probably never fight a war like this again, the sacrifice that they made, I can't even begin to express my gratitude.

Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to check this out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since you served (massive respect to you for that btw) you will probably have more of an appreciation for the actual fight scenes and information.

The entire thing so far is so engrossing that I will have devoured it in its entirety in less than 72 hours.

You're going to be glad you watched it.

EDIT
Burns is an award winning film maker. He's a serious pro and it shows in this. I'm going to check out more of his stuff, he has done several on different topics from jazz to baseball to the dust bowl.