LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And it's worth every penny if you don't have 'em both.
For which I give a big thank you to PlayStation Plus. I preordered XCOM on Steam when it came out, but even if I hadn't, both of those games have been given away as part of PS Plus.

The program really is marketing genius. If I stop being part of the program, I can't play any of the games I got through it. If I stay in it, I can play all those games in perpetuity and get 6 more each month (even if they are mostly indies, and I don't have the PS4 necessary to play two of them.)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
My weird video games stories:

It's probably no surprise to anyone who isn't new here that I'm just as likely to screw around while playing a game as I am to actually play it in the intended fashion.

So, I was playing Oblivion and using cheat codes. I had God Mode on and also cheated myself up a lot of money to buy every spell and fancy weapon I could find. One of my spells was a paralysis spell with range of touch. This was prime NPC trolling material as it caused NPCs to go quiet and ragdoll down even if they were in the middle of incidental chatter at the time, but if too many got mad at me, they would accept my yield as I hadn't done them any real damage.

So I was up at Cloud Ruler Temple, messing around with the Blades (good guy knights devoted to protecting the Emperor) and paralyzing all of them I could find. In the process, I went into the stables and paralyzed a horse. Soon after that, I yield because there were at least 7 knights there futilely trying to kill me. Just after I yield, I hear this huge whinny and the horse charges out of the stable and attacks me.

BUT, since from the Knights' point of view, I hadn't done anything wrong since I last yielded, they treated it as the horse attacking me for no reason... and killed their own horse.

Bonus Story:

The Sims 2: University: I created a Sim and sent him to University. After getting to the dorm and picking out my room, I decided to work in the dorm's kitchen for a little extra money. Wouldn't you know it, I start a fire accidentally. In The Sims, seeing things on fire that shouldn't be just KILLS all of your mood values (like Energy, Hunger, Hygiene, Bladder, etc.) Once the fire is put out by the sprinklers, I head off to my room to try to take care of the low energy first. I collapse right outside my door and die of exhaustion. And since I don't know anyone else, no one's there to plead with Death for my life.

To sum up, I died on my very first day of college from EXHAUSTION, before I had even attended a single class. Do you think they even mourned me? Or laughed at me?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Anyone have ps4 and down to play some of the following...

MLB THE SHOW, MADDEN, NBA2K, FIFA or UFC?

Hit me up :D

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I've spoken before about Playstation Plus, and I really do recommend it to anyone who has a Playstation (even with the recent jerk move of requiring it for online play with the PS4). It's actually genius marketing. Every month you're on it, you get "free" (you pay for the service of course) games. Currently, the plan is 2 games per month on each of the three active platforms: PS4, PS3 and PS Vita. Usually at least 2 of these 6 are "Triple A" games or games that released on physical discs/PS Vita cards.

Even if you don't have 1 or 2 of these platforms, you can still "buy" them through the browser based store, and thus they'll be recorded in your purchases list. Here's the catch of it: If you let your PS Plus subscription lapse, all the games you've gotten through it (the free ones, not the discounted ones) will stop working until you re-subscribe. If you are subscribed to the service, all the free games you've gotten can be downloaded and played in full whenever you want, and they REALLY build up for a while.

For those interested, I'm going to post JUST the Triple A games I've gotten through the service. If anyone's interested, I can post PSN games and classic games I've gotten through it. I'm pretty sure no one cares about the minis (and neither classics or minis are given out through the program any more, except for an occasional PSP classic as a Vita offering.)

PS3:
  • Batman: Arkham City

• Binary Domain

• Bioshock Infinite

• Borderlands 2

• Dead Space 3

• dMc: Devil May Cry (2013)

• Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

• Far Cry 2

• GRID 2

• Just Cause 2

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

• Ico HD

• inFAMOUS 2

• Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

• LittleBigPlanet 2

• LittleBigPlanet Karting

• Metro: Last Light

• NBA 2K14

• Payday 2

• Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

• Puppeteer

• Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

• Remember Me

• Saints' Row 2

• Shadow of the Colossus HD

• Shift 2 Unleashed

• Sly Cooper & The Thevious Raccoonus

• Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

• Tomb Raider (2013)

• Tomb Raider: Underworld

• Uncharted 3

• Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

• Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown
PS Vita:

• ModNation Racers: Road Trip

• Muramasa Rebirth

• Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

• Street Fighter X Tekken

• Soul Sacrifice

• Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

• Uncharted: Golden Abyss

• Unit 13
So, yeah, at less than $5 a month (if you buy a year for $50), you end up REALLY getting a lot, so I highly recommend it if you have a modern PlayStation console. Though I will say that so far, all of the PS4 releases have been PSN downloadable stuff with a lot of Indie Games. But, again, you need the service to play online there anyway.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The bonus for the Humble 2K Bundle that I posted about last week has come out, and it's the 5 pack of classic X-Com games:

X-COM: UFO Defense (1994)
X-COM: Terror from the Deep (1995)
X-COM: Apocalypse (1997)
X-COM: Interceptor (1998)
X-COM: Enforcer (2001)

I already have this bundle, so again I'll offer it up. If anyone does NOT have the tech requirements to run these, I'd be outright shocked but you need Steam. First person to say hey gets all 5 games via PM.

The last 3 are blah, but UFO Defense is probably one of the best games ever, and Terror From The Deep plays very similarly.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
This thread must live!

A couple of quick notes... one, if you're a PC Gamer and haven't played Dragon Age: Origins, EA is giving it away for free on their Origin (no connection other than name) service. Just sign up for an account, download the client, go to the Store, and select Free Games - On The House. You can also get Bejeweled 3 for free too currently.

Also for Playstation gamers, I found a neat site for signature making... psnprofiles.com:

Boffo97.png

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Double post. Please delete.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I am the reason people can't have nice things.

A while back, World of Warcraft implemented a system called transmogrification, or transmog for short, where you could change the appearance of your armor pieces to look like other pieces of armor. Thus, you can have the appearance you want (within limits) while keeping optimal stats.

Some people go for the most heroic look possible. I... do not. In fact, I'm actually hesitant to post it here.

Check out my armor set at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/medivh/Boffo/simple if you dare. I call the look "The Sha of Sexy".

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The Internet Archive (archive.org) has added a new feature called The Internet Arcade.

There, over 900 classic arcade games from the 70s-90s are available to play through your browser legally and free.

Lots of classic there, but my goofy favorites include Congo Bongo, Mikie, Sinistar and Yie Ar Kung Fu.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Whose getting the Master Chief Collection next week??

literally the only reason I'm buying an xbox one :LOL:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Whose getting the Master Chief Collection next week??

literally the only reason I'm buying an xbox one :LOL:
If I ever do get an Xbone, that'll very likely be first purchase.

(Though at least now, I'm discussing getting an Xbone as a possibility one day. If they hadn't backed down from their "war on used games" DRM stance they originally announced, neither I nor very many others would be discussing possibly getting one.)

All that said, I'm still on PS3 myself. ;)

A55VA6

Legend
Not too long ago my Xbox 360 broke and I really can't afford a repair or to get a new system so I've been without video games for a few months. It sucks. haha. I'm itching to play Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pokémon-wise, I got the promo code for Diancie, a legend that can't be found anywhere else. The code's free at Gamestop, but it's on a first-come-first-served basis, and it only lasts until November 16, so if you're playing X/Y, get it while you can.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not too long ago my Xbox 360 broke and I really can't afford a repair or to get a new system so I've been without video games for a few months. It sucks. haha. I'm itching to play Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.

That's the first Call of Duty I haven't gotten on Launch day. I'm far too invested in Counter Strike : Global Offensive right now to play COD.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If I ever do get an Xbone, that'll very likely be first purchase.

(Though at least now, I'm discussing getting an Xbone as a possibility one day. If they hadn't backed down from their "war on used games" DRM stance they originally announced, neither I nor very many others would be discussing possibly getting one.)

All that said, I'm still on PS3 myself. ;)

Don't really agree on the whole DRM thing. The family sharing thing they had in place sounded like it could have been really promising.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If anyone likes The Last of Us multiplayer on PS3 hit me up. Thats where i am regularly until i get a PS4.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Don't really agree on the whole DRM thing. The family sharing thing they had in place sounded like it could have been really promising.
I agree the Family Sharing thing was awesome. But that doesn't mean the whole DRM thing was any good whatsoever. There's a reason why Microsoft backtracked on it.

Part of the appeal of consoles is the ability to buy used games, sell a used game or lend a game to a friend.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I agree the Family Sharing thing was awesome. But that doesn't mean the whole DRM thing was any good whatsoever. There's a reason why Microsoft backtracked on it.

Part of the appeal of consoles is the ability to buy used games, sell a used game or lend a game to a friend.

The family sharing would have covered lending a game to a friend. And if you could borrow games from your friends, would you really need the used game market?

The video game community is and always will be stuck in Nostalgia. Gamers are always afraid of new things because they want them to stay the way they were in "the good 'ole days". I can point to Vanilla Warcraft players as the worst offenders. Second worst offenders would be Call of Duty players.

At some point, the used game market is going to go away. I just hope what is put in place is as good as Microsoft's family sharing was. Also, I'll point to Steam's ridiculous sales. These are what's possible when there's not a used game Market. When was the last time you heard PC gamers bitch about not having a used game market? They don't Because steam is awesome.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The family sharing would have covered lending a game to a friend. And if you could borrow games from your friends, would you really need the used game market?

The video game community is and always will be stuck in Nostalgia. Gamers are always afraid of new things because they want them to stay the way they were in "the good 'ole days". I can point to Vanilla Warcraft players as the worst offenders. Second worst offenders would be Call of Duty players.

At some point, the used game market is going to go away. I just hope what is put in place is as good as Microsoft's family sharing was. Also, I'll point to Steam's ridiculous sales. These are what's possible when there's not a used game Market. When was the last time you heard PC gamers bitch about not having a used game market? They don't Because steam is awesome.
Actually, there are cases in other countries trying to force Steam to allow selling of used games.

That said, by your description here, the family sharing would have just been a restricted version of the current ability one has to simply lend the disc.

I don't think this is a stuck in nostalgia thing, although I agree that's a problem and know firsthand about Vanilla WoW players (even though I count as one. Got into the game when a friend treated me to a trip to the 2005 Blizzcon). I think this is a company attempting to screw over its playerbase and the playerbase not taking any more. Were "Online Passes" also somehow good for gamers?

All that said, if XBLA ever offered the type and frequency of sales seen on Steam, then the idea MIGHT have worked (although, again, there are people who prefer the way console games are marketed instead of wanting it to become like PC, and I disagree that the used game market is ever going away), but there was no indication of that. Microsoft even briefly had the Steam-esque Games For Windows Live service, and didn't have Steam like sales (neither does Origin sadly, although I do like their On The House program.)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Actually, there are cases in other countries trying to force Steam to allow selling of used games.

That said, by your description here, the family sharing would have just been a restricted version of the current ability one has to simply lend the disc.

I don't think this is a stuck in nostalgia thing, although I agree that's a problem and know firsthand about Vanilla WoW players (even though I count as one. Got into the game when a friend treated me to a trip to the 2005 Blizzcon). I think this is a company attempting to screw over its playerbase and the playerbase not taking any more. Were "Online Passes" also somehow good for gamers?

All that said, if XBLA ever offered the type and frequency of sales seen on Steam, then the idea MIGHT have worked (although, again, there are people who prefer the way console games are marketed instead of wanting it to become like PC, and I disagree that the used game market is ever going away), but there was no indication of that. Microsoft even briefly had the Steam-esque Games For Windows Live service, and didn't have Steam like sales (neither does Origin sadly, although I do like their On The House program.)

I don't know the specifics of the family sharing, but it sounded like you could play the games of that person as long as they weren't also playing that game. Sounds about the same as lending the disc to somebody. There's also something to be said about owning the digital license over a hard copy. If I scratch or break my hard copy, I don't get a free replacement like I do my digital ones (You can redownload any game you buy on xbox live even after you delete it from your HDD).

I remember you and me talking about Wow, or maybe that was @Mackeyser. I thought it was you that showed me your transmog.