LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All the Bioshocks and the new Xcom I grabbed on Steam sales over the past year or so. Yahtzee has talked up Spec Ops so much I've wanted to play it for a while.

Not that interested in Mafia, but I'll give it a quick play. It might surprise me.
Wow, a fellow Zero Punctuation fan! :)

I was lucky. I already had XCOM (and the 5 original games as well) on Steam, and then Bioshock Infinite was one of the giveaways through Playstation Plus, so I didn't need the $20 tier.

This is probably in the top 3 of bundles I've seen through Humble Bundle, with the others being the Humble WB Bundle (Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, F.E.A.R: Project Origin, F.3.A.R, Lord of the Rings: War in the North; Beat the Average: Scribblenauts Unlimited, Batman: Arkahm City GOTY, F.E.A.R., Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Guardians of Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings Online Steely Dawn Starter Pack and Gotham City Impostors: Professional Kit) and the Humble Origin Bundle (Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box, Crysis 2: Maximum Edition, Mirror's Edge, Metal of Honor, Populous, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising, BTA: Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 Starter Pack).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All the Bioshocks and the new Xcom I grabbed on Steam sales over the past year or so. Yahtzee has talked up Spec Ops so much I've wanted to play it for a while.

Not that interested in Mafia, but I'll give it a quick play. It might surprise me.

I don't know about Spec Ops. While it has a good story, I guarantee that it'll make you feel like the biggest piece of shit in the world for playing the game.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wow, a fellow Zero Punctuation fan! :)

I was lucky. I already had XCOM (and the 5 original games as well) on Steam, and then Bioshock Infinite was one of the giveaways through Playstation Plus, so I didn't need the $20 tier.

This is probably in the top 3 of bundles I've seen through Humble Bundle, with the others being the Humble WB Bundle (Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, F.E.A.R: Project Origin, F.3.A.R, Lord of the Rings: War in the North; Beat the Average: Scribblenauts Unlimited, Batman: Arkahm City GOTY, F.E.A.R., Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Guardians of Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings Online Steely Dawn Starter Pack and Gotham City Impostors: Professional Kit) and the Humble Origin Bundle (Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box, Crysis 2: Maximum Edition, Mirror's Edge, Metal of Honor, Populous, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising, BTA: Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 Starter Pack).
The Origin was great, but I felt dirty installing Origin on my PC.

Agree on the WB one being amazing, although I had all the Arkham games (not GTOY, so that was useful).

Did you get the Humble Sid Meier Bundle? Civ III, IV and V, Ace Patrol, Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies, Railroads, and Pirates.

Also the THQ one was nice: Darksiders, Metro: 2033, Saints Row III, a bunch of Company of Heroes and Red Factions

And Zero Punctuation is fantastic. Makes me want to make a unique game just to have Yahtzee criticize it.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The Origin was great, but I felt dirty installing Origin on my PC.

Agree on the WB one being amazing, although I had all the Arkham games (not GTOY, so that was useful).

Did you get the Humble Sid Meier Bundle? Civ III, IV and V, Ace Patrol, Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies, Railroads, and Pirates.

Also the THQ one was nice: Darksiders, Metro: 2033, Saints Row III, a bunch of Company of Heroes and Red Factions

And Zero Punctuation is fantastic. Makes me want to make a unique game just to have Yahtzee criticize it.
I know I'm possibly the only one with good feelings about Origin. Mostly because I left a lot of property in storage in Korea (long story) and lost it. This included The Sims 3 and a bunch of expansions. But because I registered all the Sims 3 purchases on thesims3.com, when I tried origin, they were all right there waiting for me to legally download, and no longer requiring a certain CD to be in my CD drive.

I didn't get the Sid Meier bundle, mainly because of lack of funds at that moment and me already having the Civ games and most of the DLC. I just picked up Brave New World during the Steam Summer Sale for $7.50 (actually got that, Skyrim: Legendary Edition, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, the 2 character DLCs for Castle Crashers and the 400 Days DLC for Telltale Games' The Walking Dead without spending an actual cent from selling my Steam cards.) I'd be interested in someday getting the other 4 games though. I *loved* Railroad Tycoon back in the day.

And I didn't get the THQ bundle because just a few months prior to that one, I got a big THQ pack through a Steam sale, and thus the only things in the bundle new to me would have been Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War GOTY, and the Red Faction Armageddon DLC (though my pack also had Homefront [which it was categorically not supposed to as I was living in South Korea at the time, and part of the plot of the game was Korea being united under Northern rule and taking over the US] and the sequel to the Warhammer game.) I did get that one for a relative for Christmas though.

But you're right in those also being great packs.

Did you find ZP through X-Play airing some of his reviews? That's where I found it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm not sure anymore how I found ZP. Might have been a recommendation of a friend a few years ago.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'm not sure anymore how I found ZP. Might have been a recommendation of a friend a few years ago.
BTW, I haven't read his second book, but Yahtzee's first book, Mogworld, is really good. Especially if you like WoW.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
BTW, I haven't read his second book, but Yahtzee's first book, Mogworld, is really good. Especially if you like WoW.
funny, I got that in a humble eBook bundle. Agree it was excellent.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Borderlands 2 from the sale a few weeks ago. Game is sweet as hell.
Git pissed and stopped for a few days. Was at a major boss and spent forever to get to him and fight him, then wife made me stop to help her with something stupid she could of done herself and threw my game chi off and died when returned and boss only had like 1/50th of life left. Nothing worse than neing interipted in the middle of important game shit lol.

Will have to check out those bundles.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Borderlands 2 from the sale a few weeks ago. Game is sweet as hell.
Git pissed and stopped for a few days. Was at a major boss and spent forever to get to him and fight him, then wife made me stop to help her with something stupid she could of done herself and threw my game chi off and died when returned and boss only had like 1/50th of life left. Nothing worse than neing interipted in the middle of important game crap lol.

Will have to check out those bundles.
Borderlands 2 is another thing I got from PS Plus (I'll have to post the list someday of what's built up after a few years of being on the service, it's massive. Currently, they're doing 2 PS4 games, 2 PS3 games and 2 PS Vita games per month, but some of the titles are crossbuy so they're on more than one system). But no DLC, and shooters (even if Borderlands really isn't just an FPS) are better on PC anyway.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
My family doesn't need the BioShock, so if anyone wants it, speak up and I'll send the link via PM to whoever calls it first.

Here's the system requirements:

Minimum: Operating System: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista, CPU: Intel single-core Pentium 4 processor at 2.4GHz, System RAM: 1 GB, Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM and Pixel Shader 3.0 (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550), Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card, 8GB of free hard drive space.
Recommended: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor; System RAM: 2GB; Video Card: DX 9 - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM and Pixel Shader 3.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better), DX 10 - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better; Sound Card: SoundBlaster(r) X-Fi(tm) series (optimized foruse with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards);
Game requires Internet connection for activation

And of course, you need a Steam account.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Ahh sweet this is my kind of thread.

I'm mainly a PC gamer but I buy Nintendo systems also. Purchased my Wii U couple of days ago and look forward to Mario Kart 8 and more of their exclusives.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

I'm mainly a PC gamer but I buy Nintendo systems also. Purchased my Wii U couple of days ago and look forward to Mario Kart 8 and more of their exclusives.
FYI if you buy Mario Kart through the Nintendo e-shop you can get either Pikmin 3 or the remastered Wind Waker free.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

I should have figured it was with that avatar.

BTW, I caught them all in Pokemon Pearl. :p

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
FYI if you buy Mario Kart through the Nintendo e-shop you can get either Pikmin 3 or the remastered Wind Waker free.

Yeah I got Super Mario Bros Wii U for free. I already beat Wind Waker numerous times including once on the Wii U

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Anybody play this on PC back in the day? Best game i ever played(several times LOL).
th

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Anybody play this on PC back in the day? Best game i ever played(several times LOL).
th
I have Deus Ex on Steam, but never got around to playing it. I also have the new version Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I don't have the second game, Deus Ex: Invisible War but that one kind of sucked according to reports.

And if you don't want it on Steam because of DRM, you can also get it on GOG.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have Deus Ex on Steam, but never got around to playing it. I also have the new version Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I don't have the second game, Deus Ex: Invisible War but that one kind of sucked according to reports.

And if you don't want it on Steam because of DRM, you can also get it on GOG.
Well the graphics and AI were not very good even 15 years ago, but as far as gameplay, atmosphere, intelligence, immersion, music and fun it's still relevant. Game of the year in 2000.
Never played IW, and the newer HR is decent but too long and repetitive.
The original Deus Ex FTW.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just FYI, since there were no takers (not surprising since it is an old, but good game), I'll find another home for my extra copy of BioShock.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The 2K Humble Bundle is doing really well. At the time of this writing, the average cost for the bundle (that one has to pay more than to get the 2nd tier of games, including the bonus game(s) next Tuesday) is up to $7.69, which is $2 more than what I paid. I've never seen a bundle do that.

I'm guessing there's quite a few people donating $20 to get XCOM: Enemy Unknown and BioShock Infinite.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The 2K Humble Bundle is doing really well. At the time of this writing, the average cost for the bundle (that one has to pay more than to get the 2nd tier of games, including the bonus game(s) next Tuesday) is up to $7.69, which is $2 more than what I paid. I've never seen a bundle do that.

I'm guessing there's quite a few people donating $20 to get XCOM: Enemy Unknown and BioShock Infinite.
And it's worth every penny if you don't have 'em both.