The Undefeated: Are Jared Goff and Case Keenum that good, or was coach Jeff Fisher a QB killer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Case Keenum still isn't getting credit. Media is driving the notion that he can be benched anytime for a guy that hasn't played in 2 years.

I agree man. The bashing isn't original. It isn't even remotely funny.

After Steve Spagnulo and Scott Linehan got canned, everyone moved on and the only time they are mentioned is if they happen to be coordinators when playing the Rams.

With Jeff Fisher it's constant, and a lot of it is unwarranted. If nothing else, he brought in:

HoF player - Aaron Donald

All-Pro level player - Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Greg Zurlein, Alec Ogletree, Johnny Hekker, Todd Gurley, Jared Goff

Quality starters - Trumaine Johnson, Rodney McCleod, Lamarcus Joyner, Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown

Role players - Tavon Austin, TJ McDonald, Stedman Bailey

The guy had a 1-15 team, had a whopping 5 decent players to build around (Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Sam Bradford, and a worn-out SJax) and brought it back to at the very least, a roster that can play at the NFL level.

Sean McVay gets huge credit for stabilizing the culture no doubt (that was JF's biggest issue), but he definitely came to a better roster.
I agree and can't understand the need for a thread like this in this season.

Love what they are doing now, Fisher wasn't as bad as some of these posters claim. He helped build most of the talent on this roster. McVay and this coaching staff certainly did not come into anything close to the POS roster that set the 5 year NFL record for most losses 15-65.

Do we really need this kind of shit during the best season in 15 years?????

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Do we really need this kind of crap during the best season in 15 years?????
I just see some Ram Bros that just need to get some things off their chest so they can move on.

Plus, when a 30 year old coach can come in and have this kind of success it kind of puts an exclamation point on the fact that Fisher was not very good.

They/we will move on eventually.

Remember the first line of this thread basically said; don't click on it if you don't want to hear Fisher bashing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, without a doubt....

Having the Post Dispatch & 101ESPN jump on Spags an Linehan was a regional thing, and everyone else just laughed for a couple of weeks, and then it was on to covering the Cowboys and the East Coast Football teams. Almost EVERY local and national radio/tv sports show that covers the NFL hammers Fisher with every good performance by Goff and Keenum. This is week 14 in the season following Fishers firing (during the season last year), and there is no slowing down. I have heard from more than one National sports guy, "If I could, I'd fire Fisher twice!"....Kinda funny, but the criticism has gone well past anything even possible after Linehan or Spags due to the development of social media, etc...
I don’t think you read my post omits entirety, as you are saying what I said....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case Keenum still isn't getting credit. Media is driving the notion that he can be benched anytime for a guy that hasn't played in 2 years.
Of course he’s getting credit. Just won player of the week. The media didn’t create his short leash, his head coach has. Zimmer made it quite clear that Teddy was ready to go and wouldn’t commit to Case until last minute. And yeah, he’s one bad game from being yanked

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just see some Ram Bros that just need to get some things off their chest so they can move on.

Plus, when a 30 year old coach can come in and have this kind of success it kind of puts an exclamation point on the fact that Fisher was not very good.

They/we will move on eventually.

Remember the first line of this thread basically said; don't click on it if you don't want to hear Fisher bashing.
Living in the past

Fisher bashing is old news and only disgruntled people who can't enjoy what we are having now enjoy this kind of BS.

Love McVay and what he has brought, he didn't build this team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is dumb IMO.

The media ran with his coaches comment. He has no INTENTION to pull him. http://www.startribune.com/no-mike-...kings-starter-remains-week-to-week/460899013/
That’s on Zimmer not the media. He’s not commiting to Keenum. Week to week are his own words.
Case can’t afford a bad game or even a bad half. Of course Minnesota wants to get Teddy out there, they are stupid not to. They have zero qb on the roster signed for 2018 so they have to be able to evaluate how Teddy has recovered

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
McVay .....he didn't build this team.
He built it from 5-11 to 8-3.

I give Snead and the scouts credit for finding the individual players.

I give Fisher absolutely NO credit for coaching anybody up on the offense.

Neither did Gurley when he referred to it as "a Middle School offense".

p.s.;
it is not "living in the past" brother, it is trying to learn from history.

Those that do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
( my favorite quote ) :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That’s on Zimmer not the media. He’s not commiting to Keenum. Week to week are his own words.
Case can’t afford a bad game or even a bad half.

Not necessarily man.
The consensus on NFL Today was
(four guys wearing Super Bowl rings);

Mike Zimmer is very smart.

He knows that Keenum thrives on adversity.

He's keeping the pressure on Keenum with the idea of a looming Bridgewater.

There's no chance they are going to go with anybody else through the playoffs other than Case Keenum.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The media didn’t create his short leash, his head coach has. Zimmer made it quite clear that Teddy was ready to go and wouldn’t commit to Case until last minute. And yeah, he’s one bad game from being yanked
Coach speak?
Motivational tool?

Mike Zimmer is way too smart to knee jerk into benching Keenum.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am presently watching the Minnesota Vikings at the Atlanta Falcons.

I will keep you guys informed on how Quarterback of the Month, "Case the Ace"
is doing.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Case the Ace statistics;
7/10 1 TD and 0 ints.

With a lot of help from a really good run game, offensive line and good receivers.

3 things he did not have last year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach speak?
Motivational tool?

Mike Zimmer is way too smart to knee jerk into benching Keenum.
Keenum needs motivation? What?
If Keenum plays poorly, he’ll get benched. It’s that simple.
There's no chance they are going to go with anybody else through the playoffs other than Case Keenum.
As long as Keenum keeps playing the way he is sure.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Casey At The Bat;
18 of 23 for 179 1/0

It's fun hearing the announcers rave about, "Keenum the Demon" even comparing his footwork to Fran Tarkenton.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
As long as Keenum keeps playing the way he is sure.
Didn't you say that if he had a bad half or a bad game they would bench him?

I'm not buying that.
They are sticking with the hottest hand all the way through.

Oh, Keenum just had his 2nd touchdown by the way.

Now all the players are congratulating him on the sideline.... the Minnesota players support him too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't you say that if he had a bad half or a bad game they would bench him?

I'm not buying that.
They are sticking with the hottest hand all the way through.

Oh, Keenum just had his 2nd touchdown by the way.
They absolutely would bench him.
But I don’t see a bad half or game coming any time soon the way he’s playing.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. It's a combo of both. Jared was far from ready as a rookie. His play showed, hence starting Case Keenum.
Hey Angry Ram,
Not trying to drag this discussion out.You have your opinion and I certainly respect that.
I just wanted you to read this quote from Saffold and his take on the biggest reason
for Goff's turnaround.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21706760/los-angeles-rams-qb-jared-goff-leading-comeback-ages

After a recent practice, guard Rodger Saffold sat at his locker singing as he tossed his practice gear over his shoulder. When asked if he sang as often during his previous seven seasons with the Rams, none of which produced a winning record, he said, "I might have been singing, but it would have been to raise my spirits." He laughed, and when asked another question -- what is the biggest difference with Goff this season? -- he said, "Different coaching. That's the key. Always is, man. Always is."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey Angry Ram,
Not trying to drag this discussion out.You have your opinion and I certainly respect that.
I just wanted you to read this quote from Saffold and his take on the biggest reason
for Goff's turnaround.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21706760/los-angeles-rams-qb-jared-goff-leading-comeback-ages

After a recent practice, guard Rodger Saffold sat at his locker singing as he tossed his practice gear over his shoulder. When asked if he sang as often during his previous seven seasons with the Rams, none of which produced a winning record, he said, "I might have been singing, but it would have been to raise my spirits." He laughed, and when asked another question -- what is the biggest difference with Goff this season? -- he said, "Different coaching. That's the key. Always is, man. Always is."

Well like I've said the man had his faults no doubt. I'm humble (believe it or not) enough to swallow my pride and say hey, he screwed up some picks, had a very undisciplined team, etc. But I think he did he put this team on the right direction and didn't act like a jerk to his players, and IMO doesn't deserve the amount of bashing he gets. No where near the 15-65 coaches that came before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.