The Tyler Higbee genie is out of the bottle: Rams TE is more than just a one-hit wonder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
The Tyler Higbee genie is out of the bottle: Rams TE is more than just a one-hit wonder

We’ve come full circle with Sean McVay. First, he was an unknown, then a discovered, celebrated genius. Shortly after that, everyone told the same joke for about a year, the one about any McVay acquaintance getting impetuously interviewed or hired. Not long after the jokes died down, the Rams offense started to wilt, too.

All of a sudden, it was trendy to take shots at McVay.

But perhaps McVay’s genius tag was justified all along. Maybe we’re just seeing the 2.0 or 3.0 version of the coach, one who’s forced to adjust and adapt, change on the fly.

Case in point, I give you Tyler Higbee. He went from fantasy forgotten to fantasy god in the final month of 2019.

Higbee was off the radar for his first three seasons. The Rams offense was routed through Todd Gurley and their talented receivers. Even when Higbee climbed over a 70-percent snap share in his second and third seasons, nothing much was happening downfield. His career line sat at 60-672-4 entering Year 4.

The Rams got a tight end moving in the middle of 2019, but it wasn’t Higbee — it was teammate Gerald Everett. The third-year Everett had three double-digit target games in that period, splashed a few times. He threw 7-136-0 at the Seahawks. But there were down weeks, too, and then Everett got hurt at the end of November.

Then ...

Enter Higbee

And the result was a historic run:

• 7-107-1 at Arizona, Week 13. Okay, everyone does that against Arizona, last year’s tight-end sieve.

• 7-116-0 against Seattle. Okay, Everett got the Seahawks, too.

• 12-111-0 at Dallas. Fourteen targets!

• 9-105-0 at San Francisco. You know, the eventual NFC Champions.

• 8-84-1 vs. Arizona. Man, I already miss the 2019 Cardinals.

How do we unpack all that? Two cherry draws against Arizona, sure, but it still was a five-game explosion. And Higbee won in a variety of ways; downfield, at the goal line, in the screen game. He moves like a hybrid wide receiver.

Understand that four straight 100-yard games is a fairly rare feat. Only three players did it last year — Higbee, Michael Thomas (five games), and Cooper Kupp. And only four tight ends have pulled it off since the merger — Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham (twice), Travis Kelce and Higbee. Look at the full list of 4/100 guys post-merger; almost everyone is at least Hall of Very Good, and there are plenty of Hall of Famers on the list.

A month might not seem like a large sample, but maybe it’s enough. The Rams have plenty of other weapons for opponents to focus on, so Higbee should have some protection in this offense. And McVay is fond of 12 personnel, which would play Higbee and Everett together. A healthy Everett shouldn’t push Higbee off the field.

Bill James is the godfather of modern sports statistics, making his bones in baseball. But his work has overlap in other sports (and for that matter, in life). One of my favorite James theories is the concept of Signature Significance; the idea that an occurrence in a small sample can still carry notable worth if the magnitude of the performance is notable. If a pitcher throws a no-hitter and strikes out 17, it’s probably proof on its own that he’s something special — those things don’t happen accidentally.

Does Higbee’s 2019 finish qualify for Signature Significance? When I look at the shortlist of tight ends who have done what Higbee just did, I give out the checkmark. I grant you, it’s an especially fun year at tight end. You can do well at almost any price point. I see several lottery tickets I want to invest in.

Nonetheless, I am happy to throw Higbee on the proactive pick list, and I have him ranked at TE6, three slots higher than his current Yahoo ADP. I have already rostered him a few times in Best Ball formats, and I expect that will carry over into my seasonal schedule.

I believe in McVay. Maybe Jared Goff isn’t a star, but he’s good enough. And the Higbee genie might be out of the bottle for good.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He’s played lights out the last few games. He’ll definitely get his opportunities at receiving when defenders are scheming on Kupp. Hope he continues to fulfill/exceed that contract

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the dig at Goff. He is a star, and I'd like you to watch it closely next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Teams have to respect his blocking. It's really hard in that first second or two of a snap trying to pay attention to a guy you think is a blocker. So I think he's going to be one of those guys who can get way open at times even when teams focus him a bit.

dang

Legend
I don't understand the dig at Goff. He is a star, and I'd like you to watch it closely next year.
Goff is a talented passer that has shown some ProBowl level play. He will never be that rah rah vocal leader but can be a very good QB by playing smart, working hard to be more consistent and improve his protection of the ball (way too many fumbles and avoidable interceptions).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What's trendy is to take shots at Goff. I'll never understand it.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Goff is the perfect quarterback for this offense.
I am not really interested in any other quarterback behind center for the Rams.
He had really shaky pass protection last year.

That is all.
End of story.

MauiRam

Rookie
Goff is a talented passer that has shown some ProBowl level play. He will never be that rah rah vocal leader but can be a very good QB by playing smart, working hard to be more consistent and improve his protection of the ball (way too many fumbles and avoidable interceptions).
He's still learning - once everthing starts to truly slow down for him (it should by the end of this season), he'll likely become more vocal. Not rah rah vocal, but vocal when he needs to be. That will happen when he "owns" this offense. Brady wasn't overly vocal his first couple of seasons, but once he fully took over the reigns -- different story. Brady also was able to sit his first year and learn the offense. I am not comparing the two talent-wise, rather emphasising the evolving complexities of NFL offenses which take time for young quarterbacks to get wired inside and out.

Agreed Jared needs to improve his protection of the ball in or around the pocket; his inner clock needs to take it up a notch, or even two.

Guys like Patrick M. and Lamar J. can dazzle with their legs, and sustain drives, but there is great risk involved in that equation. I am happy with Goff. If we can run the fooball with consistent success, Goff will shine ...

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I've always been a fan of Higbee and was all for drafting him.
THIS is the guy I was thinking he could be when the Rams picked him. I am not surprised in the least.

Go back and YouTube games from the 2017-18 seasons and check out him and Havs blocking together. Devastating. If Havs returns to form, the run game will bounce back. That means play action to Higbee will be there all day long.

Ram65

Legend
• 7-107-1 at Arizona, Week 13. Okay, everyone does that against Arizona, last year’s tight-end sieve.
• 7-116-0 against Seattle. Okay, Everett got the Seahawks, too.
• 12-111-0 at Dallas. Fourteen targets!
• 9-105-0 at San Francisco. You know, the eventual NFC Champions.
• 8-84-1 vs. Arizona. Man, I already miss the 2019 Cardinals.

Very impressive numbers. Give him a little head start in the open field and Higbee will rock defenders trying to tackle him. McVay went with some screen passes that Higbee mauled defenders on. Higbee pass catching and running after the catch adds another dimension to the Rams offense. Now with healthy running backs the Rams could have a better offense than the recent past. When Jefferson gets in the lineup defense will have to pick their poison because the Rams are loaded with talent.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
THIS is the guy I was thinking he could be when the Rams picked him. I am not surprised in the least.

Go back and YouTube games from the 2017-18 seasons and check out him and Havs blocking together. Devastating. If Havs returns to form, the run game will bounce back. That means play action to Higbee will be there all day long.
Me too. I can't say that I knew much of anything about him coming out of college but once the pick was made, I liked what I saw. He's been flashing signs his whole career but really looked to put it together last season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Great comment about play action!

McVay and O'Connell are expressing confidence in Havenstein returning to form. This could hopefully mean a return to the Rams' devastatingly efficient passing game based off play action, this time with Higbee as a primary target. Remember what McVay did with tight ends in Washington...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Goff is the perfect quarterback for this offense.
I am not really interested in any other quarterback behind center for the Rams.
He had really shaky pass protection last year.

That is all.
End of story.
Agreed. 100%. He DOES need to limit back breaking mistakes and be more consistent. Those are my only concerns with our boy. He's really good. Maturation will make him great. Elite even. I can't wait to see him grow in this offense.