The trade that wasn't

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't the Browns want to give the Rams a first round pick for Bradford? And Fisher and Snead held out for a QB in the deal. So they end up with a middle round 2 pick and a bad QB on a bad contract instead of what could have been a top 5 pick overall.........maybe top 3. Wow that stinks.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If so, it stinks, but it's always a throw of the dice. Stay with Bradford and risk the season long injury? Trade him for a first round and start CK or Mannion? Not a lot of good choices back then.

I thought they made a good deal myself. BPA and all. The extension soured it though.

Debacled

Starter
All heresay about what was and what wasn't offered. Can't trust a whole lot out there that is "reported", especially around draft time.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Browns would have won more games this year with competent QB play. The first would have been nice but it wouldn't have been top ten. Unless Bradford got hurt again.

Big Willie

Starter
If so, it stinks, but it's always a throw of the dice. Stay with Bradford and risk the season long injury? Trade him for a first round and start CK or Mannion? Not a lot of good choices back then.

I thought they made a good deal myself. BPA and all. The extension soured it though.
Retweet!

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
The extension given to Foles before he even played a game was mind boggling. That is what really pisses me off. I think it was pretty telling that Kelly wanted to get rid of Foles so bad that he packaged him with a 2nd round pick to get a guy coming off 2 ACL's that hadn't played in 2 years. If that doesn't throw up red flags, I don't know what does.

jjab360

Legend
Didn't the Browns want to give the Rams a first round pick for Bradford? And Fisher and Snead held out for a QB in the deal. So they end up with a middle round 2 pick and a bad QB on a bad contract instead of what could have been a top 5 pick overall.........maybe top 3. Wow that stinks.
No, they wanted to give us their second 1st round pick last year, iirc, no.19 overall in a relatively weak draft class.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The worst part to me. Is thinking how better off the team would have been had Keenum started week 1 and we had taken the first round pick instead. Would we be in the playoffs right now if Foles didn't throw away so many games? Who knows.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The worst part to me. Is thinking how better off the team would have been had Keenum started week 1 and we had taken the first round pick instead. Would we be in the playoffs right now if Foles didn't throw away so many games? Who knows.

It was Cig, too. Cig would either run, jet sweep, or go deep. It was like the offense had handcuffs. Lots of failed comeback routes, too. The guy never used a quick slant to keep the D honest. The middle of the field was not attacked neatly as often as it should have been. Rams down run it up the middle on EVERY time on first down. Cig did get a little Schotty on us. Boras mixes it up much better. I've loved his Playcalling.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No, they wanted to give us their second 1st round pick last year, iirc, no.19 overall in a relatively weak draft class.
Which turned out to be Cam Erving, who I coveted, but who has been a monumental disappointment as a rookie. Man, so far (VERY EARLY TOO EARLY) the 2nd half of the 2015 1st round looks pretty awful.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Which turned out to be Cam Erving, who I coveted, but who has been a monumental disappointment as a rookie. Man, so far (VERY EARLY TOO EARLY) the 2nd half of the 2015 1st round looks pretty awful.

I liked him too. But didn't they make him switch to guard when he was primarily a center? Maybe that attributed to his bad start.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
You couldn't fault the Rams for getting Nick Foles. The extension shouldn't have happened but I don't regret the trade at all. It was worth a shot with Foles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was rumored at the time of the trade that Cleveland would have given a first this year. In fact many thought that Kelly was going to flip Sam for that first in hopes of moving up. That could have been a first this year and the way that team is run, it might have happened. However this coming draft does not seem to strong. It may be weaker than last years. There were some nice picks left though.

Laken Tomlinson was one I liked a lot. Demarius Randall was another. The Rams supposedly liked Dupree. Dorsett or Agholor as WR. Stephone Anthony at LB, Shaq Thompson at LB. And as mentioned Cam Erving who I thought would be a good Center.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I liked him too. But didn't they make him switch to guard when he was primarily a center? Maybe that attributed to his bad start.
He played LT, G and C in college and was very good at all of them. His draft status was improved significantly by his center play in 2014, but there was no reason to think he shouldn't have been able to play any position on the line in the NFL.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
It would have been 1 of the 2 picks Cleveland had last year and we would have wasted it on a qb prospect so...there's that.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It would have been 1 of the 2 picks Cleveland had last year and we would have wasted it on a qb prospect so...there's that.

Very doubtful considering Mannion was the fourth QB taken(by us) in the third round. They wouldn't have spent a first getting him two rounds early, and Winston and Mariota were already gone. Grayson def wasn't going in the first either.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You think so? The next QB drafted after Mariota was Grayson in the 3rd. If we'd made the trade for Cleveland's first pick (which I don't think they were offering) at #12, I think we'd have taken DeVante Parker, and if we'd made the trade for #19 (the more likely offer) then, crap, I don't know... Erving like Cleveland took, probably? Or DJ Humphries, meaning we'd not take Havenstein in the 2nd, maybe making the Hav pick an interior guy like Marpet or Cann instead?

I think outside of the 2 guys at the top of the draft, the Rams and the rest of the teams knew nobody else was worth a day 1 pick. If there'd been a late-1st-round QB prospect like there was in 2014 - a Carr or Bridgewater type player - they'd have taken the trade with Cleveland. But there wasn't. This was a really bad draft for QBs.