The Top 10 Big 12 players ever: No. 10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By David Ubben | ESPN.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/66816/the-top-10-big-12-players-ever-no-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... ever-no-10</a>

Last month, in the days following the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams released a photo of quarterback Sam Bradford and newly drafted receiver Tavon Austin. I noted on Twitter it was a photo of two of the best 10 players to ever step on the field in a Big 12 game.

Your response was overwhelming: "Let's see the full list!"

Your wish is my command. First things first, here are my criteria:
• Pro career is not factored into the ranking.
• Players who played at least one season in the Big 12 have their entire careers factored into the list
(For example, guys like Geno Smith and Taylor Martinez would be equally eligible for the list, and their entire career is taken into account.)
• I approach the list like this: Knowing how each player's career would look, I'm drafting them at the beginning of their careers and starting a team with them.

Let's get started:

[wrapimg=right]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/med/277.gif[/wrapimg]No. 10: Tavon Austin, WR/RB/KR/PR, West Virginia

Why he's on the list: Austin doesn't have the hardware of guys like Justin Blackmon or Michael Crabtree, but he's got a wider variance of skill sets and for my money, the league has never seen a more elusive player. Look no further than his destruction of Oklahoma's defense last season when he racked up 572 all-purpose yards, including 344 rushing yards in a game after spending almost no time at the position historically. Austin topped 100 catches and 1,000 yards in each of his last two seasons, but made a name for himself as a return man, too.

When he got the ball in his hands in the open field, he did things nobody in Big 12 history could do, highlighted by his quickness and change of direction. Add his high-end speed to that package, and you've got a talent Big 12 fans will never forget.

Austin led the nation in all-purpose yards in 2011 and finished second in 2012. He was named the Paul Hornung Award winner as the nation's most versatile talent and won the Johnny Rodgers Award as the nation's best return man this season, capping a career with consecutive seasons as a first-team All-American.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
God I can't wait for this year.

What preseason game should I go to to see the most of Austin?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ebonemalone said:

Probably the third. If they're penciling him in as a starter, then that would be the game they use him the most. Of course, Fisher used the 4th preseason game as a primer for the season too, so either one of those would be a safe bet.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
X said:
Ebonemalone said:

Probably the third. If they're penciling him in as a starter, then that would be the game they use him the most. Of course, Fisher used the 4th preseason game as a primer for the season too, so either one of those would be a safe bet.

I just checked and the third one is away so I'll see em in week four of preseason with Baltimore!

Name
Jim
As a WVU fan, (and now a Rams fan), every time Austin touched the ball, we were waiting for something great to happen....He and Bailey could break a game open in a heart beat. I hope they excel at the pro level as as well as they did at the college level..only time will tell, but I'm feeling really good about it...The Rams are going to pick up a lot of fans from West Virginia to be sure