The time has finally come to pay Aaron Donald what he rightfully deserves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
if it came to that, franchise him.....

The Rams would be panned by media/experts/and fans for that. With the 5th year option the Rams can reasonably hold on to him for 4 more years, without it they have to franchise a year earlier thus dropping it to 3 years. No team would give up that sort of leverage no matter how close to a contract they are. EVERY team would exercise that option on him.

There is NO reason for him to be upset over it since it should have been fully expected by him and his team. If he gets a contract done then it is moot if not then he stays a Ram longer (and cheaper since the 5th year option on him is much less than a franchise tag).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I agree! but I also know Donald is worth as much, if not more than Von Miller, and he got 114 mil. w/ 60 mil. guaranteed! (y) So, considering that figure, what do you think Donald should get!?

Let's look at it like this, Dave.

There is a hierarchy within the FA pay status.

Some positions command more cap dollars than others, generally speaking.

QB
LOT
DE (or edge rusher)
CB

In short, DT is just not one of those positions. So, to compare AD to Von Miller is kind of an apples to oranges thing.

Just a thought.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let's look at it like this, Dave.

There is a hierarchy within the FA pay status.

Some positions command more cap dollars than others, generally speaking.

QB
LOT
DE (or edge rusher)
CB

In short, DT is just not one of those positions. So, to compare AD to Von Miller is kind of an apples to oranges thing.

Just a thought.
OK! But there are always exceptions! How much would you pay Merlin Olsen IF he where playing today!?!

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Personally, I think the JJ departure gets blown out of proportion -- for one thing, the Rams were cap-strapped heading into the 2016 offseason, and there was no way they were going to be able to keep both he and TruJo.

And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't feel that Janoris' on-field performance in 2014 & 2015 came anywhere close to warranting the kind of money the Giants gave him. Yes, he had a good year last year -- better than anything he gave the Rams since his rookie year. Good for him -- moving on.....

2016 aside, the Rams have had a better-than-average track record of locking up guys to long-term deals before they get to Free Agency. I'm confident they'll get a deal worked out with AD -- but I'm predicting it probably won't happen until the first week of Training Camp in late July.