The time has finally come to pay Aaron Donald what he rightfully deserves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_b61483bd8406435da9ee6fb7ed45a431~mv2.webp

The first day of Rams OTAs is in the books, but the fact the Rams were on the field all together for the first time including all of the rookies wasn't the big headline however. It actually was the Rams elite interior defensive lineman Aaron Donald who was a no-show at OTAs.

Donald appears to be holding out of OTAs with an impending contract negotiation under way. The Rams picked up Donald's fifth-year option, but it appears as though Donald has no interest in playing under that, and wants to be signed long-term. Can you really blame the player that was passed on by 12 teams including the one that picked him in the first round because of his undersized label? Donald was passed on for the likes of Jadeveon Clowney, Blake Bortles, Greg Robinson, Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, Eric Ebron and Odell Beckham Jr. Donald has proven everyone who passed up on him wrong and now it's time for him to receive that contract extension that is ever-so-rewarding for a transcendent player like Donald.

When asked about why Donald missed OTAs, Sean McVay said it was an internal and non-injury related matter. Les Snead finally came out and told us all just what we speculated originally as soon as we heard the news. Donald and the Rams were in serious contract negotiations. It remains to be seen how long the Rams versus Donald saga goes on til, but he did mention them being in 'serious' discussions.

Some fans and analysts have actually pitched the idea of trading Aaron Donald, but that is just incomprehensible for me to even pay much attention to. Donald, in my honest opinion, could retire as the greatest defensive lineman of all time. He just is unblock-able, he has a nonstop motor, passion, love for the game and he is an excellent character on and off the field. Any team would be lucky to call Donald their face of the franchise and the lucky team happens to be the Rams.

It may or may not be fair to say, but this team needs to get a deal done with Donald because they haven't been able to do that in the past with the majority of their better players, most notably: Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeod and Trumaine Johnson. It doesn't matter now what has happened in the past, all that matters is that the Rams give Donald his contract as soon as possible.

The Rams drafted Aaron Donald with their second of two picks in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft. Ever since then Donald has been a godsend for a struggling franchise. Donald has accumulated 164 tackles, 28 sacks and four forced fumbles at defensive tackle. He has picked up accolades such as Defensive Rookie of the Year, three Pro Bowls and was even named two first-team All-Pro. All while playing on a four-year, 10.13 million dollar rookie contract. The Rams have definitely received their bang for their buck and now it is time to pay back Donald.

It's important to first realize Donald has not missed an NFL game yet, he averages more than a half of a sack per game, two and a half solo tackles per game, almost three stops per game and and three quarterback pressures a game. Spotrac puts his market value at 6 years. $109,903,154 million which averages out at $18,317,192 annually. Now take a look at how Donald stacks up against top notch peers.

227364_ee9e89f4552741b08b238d59cb0b2681~mv2.webp

Aaron Donald
Games Played %: 100%
Sacks per Game: 0.59
Solo Tackles per Game: 2.5
Stops per Game: 2.81
QB Pressures per Game: 2.94
Average Rating: 96.05

Elite Positional Averages

Games Played %: 96.88%
Sacks per Game: 0.48
Solo Tackles per Game: 2.23
Stops per Game: 2.14
QB Pressures per Game: 2.31
Average Rating: 88.61

Obviously, these numbers shouldn't surprise anyone who has seen Donald in action. According to Spotrac, Donald is projected to become the second highest paid defensive lineman in all of football only behind Ndamukong Suh. Now, in my honest and humble opinion, I think Spotrac is going to be wrong. Aaron Donald will sign a contract in some capacity that will make him the highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Do you think Donald should be the high paid player at his position? Let us know!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope he's a team player and doesn't want that much money. I'm sure I'm wrong but a fan can wish.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Couple of thoughts Jake....Nice piece....Kawann Short is a lil monster, huh?

We pissed AD off with that silly 5th year extension....we should have negotiated with him on a new deal...seriously...best player on team?

I don't want to see another Jenoris Jenkins episode here....and NOW the Jackrabbit makes the top 100....sheeesh!

I hope the Cortez Kennedy situation woke everyone in the FO up.....

His contract should be bigger than Suh's...$125 mil for 5-6 years, or something like that...20-30 mil signing bonus...Maybe put some insentive clauses in there.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple of thoughts Jake....Nice piece....Kawann Short is a lil monster, huh?

We ticked AD off with that silly 5th year extension....we should have negotiated with him on a new deal...seriously...best player on team?

I don't want to see another Jenoris Jenkins episode here....and NOW the Jackrabbit makes the top 100....sheeesh!

I hope the Cortez Kennedy situation woke everyone in the FO up.....

His contract should be bigger than Suh's...$125 mil for 5-6 years, or something like that...20-30 mil signing bonus...Maybe put some insentive clauses in there.
Hey thank you! I agree with you somewhat, but I feel as though they had to give him the fifth year option. It's a crutch in case we don't sign Donald before the season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I worry that if Demoff screws around getting cute and this re-signing is delayed until his final year, he will be pissed and be determined to leave...They call that "trying the market," which in AD's case would be bye-bye-baby.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I have a feeling he doesn't go for top money. He will get a huge contract, compared to suhs.He just doesn't strike me as a selfish guy, he knows there are alot of guys on the team they need to re sign after this season .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
They'll work it out. Donald isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's a Ram the next 5 o 6 years, at least.

If they screw around and don't get it done now, they'll have to franchise tag him and that will be the end of Donald as a Ram after next year.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Shoot with moonbeam in charge we are going to have to pay AD 2x more than any other team just so he can make a living

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Same goes for 11 year HOF, all Seahawks career ,DT Cortez Kennedy, gone at 48.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Maybe there are considerations we're not aware of. Suppose AD gets seriously hurt in otas? Would this effect his contract? Regardless, speculation that he's not a team player is so unfounded, and in fact, i would say that AD would actually go out of his way to stay on this team, especially with the addition of a coaching staff that absolutely knows and appreciates his talent and overall importance to the their success. I give the the percentage of of our favorite ping pong player leaving at less than 0%.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I don't get why everybody is using but Cortez Kennedy as an example as a reason AD should break the bank. Yes Kennedy died at 48 but him playing football might not have had anything to do with it. In a lot of cases these big guys are overweight and don't eat right after they stop playing. Also they get the pampered treatment their whole lives after middle school and to feel sorry for them CHOOSING to play a sport that could cause long term injury is on them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's a crutch in case we don't sign Donald before the season.
if it came to that, franchise him....there's is no way with who we have ALREADY PAID, that we shouldn't pay AD.
Yes Kennedy died at 48 but him playing football might not have had anything to do with it. In a lot of cases these big guys are overweight and don't eat right after they stop playing.
You sure about that? Who encourages these men to gain more weight...more size in their early 20's and 30's? Who doesn't have a nutritionist follow these guys after they stop playing?
I don't know what killed Kennedy. I saw at his HOF induction he was significantly smaller. But I do know while he was a large man he did play, and his heart could have been creating the damage that killed him yesterday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Aaron Donald

This is all great! Let me just add a little to it!!
* He was the NFL Rookie of the year in 2014!
* In his 48 games with the Rams he has Started 44 games!
* Donald has 7 Passes Defended!
* 4 FF's!
* 1 FR for 40 yards!

* 28 Sacks!
* 116 Tackles! w/ 47 assists!
* He's been to 3 Pro Bowls!
* And been named All-Pro twice!
* and he's been the NFL Player of the week 3 time!
And he's just now going into his 4th Season as a Pro!!!If anyone deserver a Huge Payday it's Aaron Donald!
My guess, 117 Mil over 6 years w/ 66 Mil guaranteed!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Please don't take this as heresy, y'all.

First, let me say that I love having AD as a Ram. Just love it.

Nothing like having an elite player on the field, is there? One that the opponent just can't stop despite special gameplanning?

However...

I hope that he's gonna be reasonable about his contract demands. No doubt he deserves to be paid as the best DT in the game.

But, how high is "up"? I mean, there is some point in the salary stratosphere beyond which the Rams should not go. Because it would result in a net loss for the team.

You know, the "we, not me" thing?

I don't know where that point is, but Demoff better know it and better not cross it. There are ways and means of keeping AD as a Ram through '20 without an unaffordable extension, if absolutely necessary.

So, when I see others post "just give him whatever he wants", I get a little nervous.

I hope for a win-win contract extension solution, of course. But let's don't lose sight of the fact that the overall team comes first.

RAMBUSH

Starter
227364_b61483bd8406435da9ee6fb7ed45a431~mv2.webp

The first day of Rams OTAs is in the books, but the fact the Rams were on the field all together for the first time including all of the rookies wasn't the big headline however. It actually was the Rams elite interior defensive lineman Aaron Donald who was a no-show at OTAs.

Donald appears to be holding out of OTAs with an impending contract negotiation under way. The Rams picked up Donald's fifth-year option, but it appears as though Donald has no interest in playing under that, and wants to be signed long-term. Can you really blame the player that was passed on by 12 teams including the one that picked him in the first round because of his undersized label? Donald was passed on for the likes of Jadeveon Clowney, Blake Bortles, Greg Robinson, Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, Eric Ebron and Odell Beckham Jr. Donald has proven everyone who passed up on him wrong and now it's time for him to receive that contract extension that is ever-so-rewarding for a transcendent player like Donald.

When asked about why Donald missed OTAs, Sean McVay said it was an internal and non-injury related matter. Les Snead finally came out and told us all just what we speculated originally as soon as we heard the news. Donald and the Rams were in serious contract negotiations. It remains to be seen how long the Rams versus Donald saga goes on til, but he did mention them being in 'serious' discussions.

Some fans and analysts have actually pitched the idea of trading Aaron Donald, but that is just incomprehensible for me to even pay much attention to. Donald, in my honest opinion, could retire as the greatest defensive lineman of all time. He just is unblock-able, he has a nonstop motor, passion, love for the game and he is an excellent character on and off the field. Any team would be lucky to call Donald their face of the franchise and the lucky team happens to be the Rams.

It may or may not be fair to say, but this team needs to get a deal done with Donald because they haven't been able to do that in the past with the majority of their better players, most notably: Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeod and Trumaine Johnson. It doesn't matter now what has happened in the past, all that matters is that the Rams give Donald his contract as soon as possible.

The Rams drafted Aaron Donald with their second of two picks in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft. Ever since then Donald has been a godsend for a struggling franchise. Donald has accumulated 164 tackles, 28 sacks and four forced fumbles at defensive tackle. He has picked up accolades such as Defensive Rookie of the Year, three Pro Bowls and was even named two first-team All-Pro. All while playing on a four-year, 10.13 million dollar rookie contract. The Rams have definitely received their bang for their buck and now it is time to pay back Donald.

It's important to first realize Donald has not missed an NFL game yet, he averages more than a half of a sack per game, two and a half solo tackles per game, almost three stops per game and and three quarterback pressures a game. Spotrac puts his market value at 6 years. $109,903,154 million which averages out at $18,317,192 annually. Now take a look at how Donald stacks up against top notch peers.

227364_ee9e89f4552741b08b238d59cb0b2681~mv2.webp

Aaron Donald

Obviously, these numbers shouldn't surprise anyone who has seen Donald in action. According to Spotrac, Donald is projected to become the second highest paid defensive lineman in all of football only behind Ndamukong Suh. Now, in my honest and humble opinion, I think Spotrac is going to be wrong. Aaron Donald will sign a contract in some capacity that will make him the highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Do you think Donald should be the high paid player at his position? Let us know!
Make him the highest paid defensive lineman ever. He deserves it . Then sit back and watch him roll. I can't wait . GO RAMS !!!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

Does this include or exclude Donald's Stats in the average?

bnw

Pro Bowler
Who could possibly blame AD for going elsewhere for the same money? That assumes the Rams will match another teams offer. Not a given with $tanK. A professional wants to win. The money will be there but very few get that SB ring. Should he leave I say thanks for the few great memories for this team over the last few years and best of luck just not against the Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Please don't take this as heresy, y'all.

First, let me say that I love having AD as a Ram. Just love it.

Nothing like having an elite player on the field, is there? One that the opponent just can't stop despite special gameplanning?

However...

I hope that he's gonna be reasonable about his contract demands. No doubt he deserves to be paid as the best DT in the game.

But, how high is "up"? I mean, there is some point in the salary stratosphere beyond which the Rams should not go. Because it would result in a net loss for the team.

You know, the "we, not me" thing?

I don't know where that point is, but Demoff better know it and better not cross it. There are ways and means of keeping AD as a Ram through '20 without an unaffordable extension, if absolutely necessary.

So, when I see others post "just give him whatever he wants", I get a little nervous.

I hope for a win-win contract extension solution, of course. But let's don't lose sight of the fact that the overall team comes first.
I agree! but I also know Donald is worth as much, if not more than Von Miller, and he got 114 mil. w/ 60 mil. guaranteed! (y) So, considering that figure, what do you think Donald should get!?